WWII vintage kit still on issue

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by cdo_gunner, Jan 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a thought. How much WWII era kit is still on issue in the army of the 21st century?

Ok, so i left in '98 but at the time there were things like.

Binos. Yep, there were still some WWII dated binos in the stores.

Machetes. Got a shed load of 1945 dated machetes whenever we went off to the jungle..much better than the crap modern ones.

Millbank bags. last time i went to Brunei in '97 we were issued brand new, straight off the shelves and 1945 dated millbank bags (water filter bags).

First aid kit bag. I'm sure you've all seen the '37 pattern webbing first aid kit bags around.

Anymore?

I'm thinking actual WWII dated stuff rather than items who's design hasn't changed since the war, like the prismatic compasses.

2. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

Mess tins
    always ancient
    Boots crunchy-ammo boots

3. When I was in Belize in 1990-91 we were still issued with 1944 pattern 'jungle webbing', much of which was still WW2 dated.

4. Some of the ancillaries in our sigs stores look about that vintage. Especially the winding machines.

5. You must have been a Gloster?

We took over from you in 91 and we used our normal 58 pattern. Never saw any 44 pattern over there.

I was in Salamanca and spent the first four weeks of the tour on patrol. Hot.

6. I've still got a 1945 dated mess tin set I did'nt hand back

7. Have heard about some units having .303s in the armoury still.

Some stretchers are ww2 on ranges.

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

1940 NBC rattles, I had about 10 on my books, atleast they were more effective than NAIAD and CAM!

9. KVDs and binocular cases.Equipment Repairer's Kit

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Oh and some 1944 Millbank bags!

11. Let's not forget the good old AFV 432. There are 2 still in service that date back to 1951...which is only just beyond the dates under discussion here.

Interestingly enough, here is the official Army view on AFV 432:

Hmmm...the glass is always half-full for our Lords and Masters, I guess!

And if you ever wanted to know what all the designations refer to, check this out!

FV 3904 Churchill VII APC

The FV 300 series. According to the profile a chassis was completed for running trials but the series was cancelled in the 1950s. The following planned versions are listed.

FV 301 Light tank armed with a 77mm gun
    FV 302 Gun Position Officer/Command Post Vehicle
    FV 303 20 pdr SP Anti-tank gun
    FV 304 25 pdr SPG
    FV 305 5.5 in. SPG
    FV 306 Light Armoured Recovery Vehicle
    FV 307 Radar or WT Vehicle
    FV 308 Tractor Field Artillery
    FV 309 Section Vehicle Royal Artillery
    FV 310 APC
    FV 311 Armoured Load Carrier

The FV 400 Cambridge series. As far as I am aware the Cambridge never entered service. The following vehicles were either planned or built in prototype form.

FV 401 prototype APC
    FV 402 AOP
    FV 403 Tractor, Light, Anti-Tank, Artillery
    FV 404 Charging Vehicle
    FV 405 Light General Purpose Carrier
    FV 406 Command Vehicle
    FV 407 Tentacle, Air Cooperation Signals Vehicle
    FV 408 Armoured Ambulance
    FV 409 Gun Position Officer/Command Post Vehicle

The FV 420 Series.

FV 421 Load Carrier
    FV 422 APC
    FV 423 Command Vehicle
    FV 424 Royal Engineers Section Vehicle
    FV 425 REME Section Vehicle
    FV 426 Orange William Anti-Tank Guided Weapon Vehicle

The FV 430 Series. The best known is the FV 432 APC. Lesser known variants include the FV 431 load carrier, the FV 436 Green Archer Locating Radar and the FV 437 Pathfinder (prototype only - there's a picture in 'The Royal Engineers' by Terry Gander). The FV 438 was originally a Swingfire launcher but was subsequently converted into a Royal Signals Wavell vehicle when Swingfire was withdrawn. I've read that this vehicle has also been referred to as an FV 435. Any equally boring git care to confirm?

The FV 500 series. The Profile records that this series was developed in the 1940s at he same time as the FV 400s. It was intended to be fully amphibious, but development stopped when it was found that the FV 400s could be made so. I assume that none were built, even as prototypes, but the following are FV numbers listed in the Profile.

FV 501 Tracked Load Carrier (Neptune)
    FV 502 Tracked Workshop Vehicle
    FV 503 Tracked ARV

This then takes us up to the Warrior series. You can't say I don't get out much! :D

12. brass button escape compasses, part of ECWW (arctic) kit issue.

Ok, not WWII but about 1950 'ish. Each of the LPDs (Fearless and Intrepid) had a BARV (Beach Armoured Recovery Vehicle), based on the centurion chassis if memory serves.

Not bad eh? 50 year old armoured vehicle pulling brand new land rovers out of the surf. :lol:

If we go back a little bit, our LMGs were mostly '44 and '45 dated Bren guns, and i'm positive our 9 millies are about that old too, at least the design is bloody ancient.

Could also add the old riot guns which are just old WWII very pistols with an extra bit of barrel and a stock welded on the ends.

ptp
    You on about the D10 winding machines? they were defintely ancient.

13. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

As of 2005:

Stretchers

............and quite scarily some operational ammo in the form of "Matches Fuzee" which have a 1943 manf date!!!!!!!

14. If they are "Inglis" they certainly are.

the basic design dating to the mid '30s at least, is the basis of many "modern" pistols.

15. The very same C_G

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they predated WW2.