WWII Uniform - what part

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Northern-Monkey, Aug 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My brother has been unfortunate enough to be picked to play one of 1000 extra's in a movies being filmed up-north in a town called Redcar, about the Dunkirk landings and evacuation, the film stars Keira Knightley. :D

He was singled out to wear what only can be discribed as a 3/4 lenght leather waste coat under his normal "tommy" uniform

Can anyone tell me what part / role he is meant be acting ??? :?

2. Did he evr think to ask this question.

3. I wish he had done !!!

4. Didn`t dispatch riders were something like this?

5. you probably mean OVER his uniform, its a leather jerkin that many sojahs were issued with for warmth, though many of them applied home made disruptive patterns to the leather to give a bit of camo. I bought a really goos nick one in a charidi shop in Ballymena a while ago, and its great for a winters stroll in the country

6. What insignia is he wearing? It could be a French uniform and part of their mess/cross dress

7. Sleeveless leather jerkins were first issued during WW1. They were later given to Despatch riders as someone mentioned, during WW2. Also to Engineers and Signals linemen. During WW2 they were also worn by Infantry in N Africa over BDs and in Italy/Western Europe during the winter months.

I remember dustmen wearing them into the 70's and TA Sigs were still giving them to Linemen. The jerkins were brown/tan leather with 4 buttons and the lining was similar to the old hairy blankets. They were windproof though, and hard wearing. :wink:

8. They were still on issue to in the early 60’s. I know, I had one.

9. Seen some that have been made in a green colour not sure if a thin leather or synthetic but they look fairly recently made

10. A great coat UNDER his uniform??

Special services then! :D

11. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Leather jerkins were worn over the uniform. Know as a camouflaged leather jerkin (some were dyed a patchy light green) either to protect the uniform from heavy wear or just as a winter issue to keep warm. Started to b emade in PVC in the 50's. There is a modern CS 95 issue type in nylon mesh and green leather.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is a company tailor making new shooting waistcoats and they look just like the old jerkin but with pockets

13. Also in use with RAF ground crew in WW2 as protection for clothing and from the elements.

14. are they still on sale , i.e. through Silvermans etc ?

15. These were still being issued on a temporary basis to sappers on heavy wiring tasks in the mid 80's

Saved you coming back after the job looking like you'd been on the receiving end of a claymore.

Some wore them when we converted Rollestone camp on the plain to a prison, and used up about 200K of Razor wire in the process.