WWII P-47 Thunderbolts in action. — Video

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Trip_Wire, Aug 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

P-47 Thunderbolts in action. A real aircraft, listen to the sweet sound of those engines! :wink:

This is a 62 year-old B&W movie that has been color enhanced. Note the casualty rate shown at the end.

The movie lasts 5 min 12 seconds, and begins showing immediately (no download time -- streaming video). Take a look using the link below.

2. Thank you very much Trip.

Without you, I dont know what we would do.

Youre like an automated google search engine.
  3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Is this you on the boat, displaying the number in your intelligence quota? :roll: :wink:

Cnut! :roll:
  4. No. Its your weight in stones.
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Lame as usual!
  6. Don't get me wrong - the P47 pilots were brave guys and the 'Jug' was a great brute of an aircraft but.......

The closing stats say the Group launched 175 aircraft on a single day but lost 97 pilots? I appreciate that many of these would have bailed out and been recovered but that's more than a 50% loss rate? And all the time they were destroying over 400 ground targets and knocking down 137 of the Luftwaffe's finest? On a single day? That's about 4 targets ground and air targets each before anyone was shot down.

I repeat - I'm taking nothing away from the guys that did the business just that this seems to be a bit disengenuous - surely these stats refer to a longer time period? Am I reading it wrong? Apologies if I am.

Impressed by the initial CAS strike though - long range burst followed by another that really hit the button!