WWII medal records

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by supermark500, May 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to find out what medals my Grandfathers received during the war. One was in the RAF and sent his medals back after the war as he didn't feel that he deserved them because he was not in the front line (he was ground crew) and the other was in the Home Guard as he was in a reserved occupation. I have tried searching the national archives but the only information there seems to be about WWI or deaths in WWII. Both survived the war. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. I dont know but i was going to say to look at the archives but it looks as if you already have did that.

Would the regiment keep records and maybe they could help you???

Not sure how it works though.
  3. Have you rung the MoD? They are actually pretty good on passing you onto another department who will help you. As one was in the Home Guard you might try the Cabinet Secretariat:

My Great Grandfather was in the civil defence, I got onto them and 2 months later I received his defence medal. They were very helpful.
  4. There are no medal index cards for WW2, to find out what medals a soldier got you would have to look on his service record, which is still with the MOD, this is the same for the Navy & RAF.
  5. Thanks for your help. I have emailed the MOD.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know what happens to returned medals?
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

7. Campaign stars, and the Defence and War Medals were issued unnamed, so presumably they'd be reissued.
  8. Not the RN, I think. Service records were issued to the sailor upon discharge. Shame really as I suspect most of them have now been lost.