WWII Irish 'deserters' to finally get pardons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stinker, May 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Failing to join a side in WW2 because they wanted to 'express independence' was both childish and cowardly in the extreme; much like blowing up kids because they go to the wrong type of church.

These blokes excepted, Ireland is and has for a long time been a spineless nation of spiteful pussies.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Any chance that some of the Royal Irish Rangers might wish to personally disagree with you? As well as several other regiments intake?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. You need some hand cream for all that wringing you are doing? I think you have missed the point somewhat, and also there are some Irish rangers who are now serving that will still get shit off thier countrymen for thier career choice. Besides he is right, the Irish love to play the victim card as much as any "Ethnics" You can think of.

And Churchill offered Dev a united Ireland if they joined the war against his mate Hitler.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 'And Churchill offered Dev a united Ireland if they joined the war against his mate Hitler'.

And he offered the same deal to France. Thank god they both turned him down.
  5. France did get united just under different management
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Do you read the sun and drive a white van by any chance ? Or do you just enjoy the pictures and hope to own a white van one day ?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Exactly what point have I missed? Free Irish signed up for the second world war, many did not I understand. Should any Eire raised RIR get shit off their fellow countrymen, I hope their opprobrium is also reserved for all the labourers who are working in England and sending back the coin... feck em the small minded feckers.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. If thats your point then fair one, I was wrong.
    It does read as if you are defending the Irish whiners by using the modern day Royal Irish though.
  9. At least we didn't have to say 'sorry darling. but it's not working out' when the fighting stopped.
  10. If they wanted to disagree, they'd have joined the Irish Army. As is, they fall into my 'these blokes excepted' category.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. In an effort to enhance my popularity I'm going to say that I'm against pardoning Ireland's WW2 deserters.

These lads weren't conscripts so they could have served their time and been discharged, bought their way out or managed a medical discharge if necessary. They didn't have to desert. In any case they signed up, swore an oath of loyalty and should have served their time.

I'm a little cynical about the portrayal of thousands of men deserting to go and fight the Nazis. Quite probably some did but I doubt if it was possible to find out who deserted to join the British Forces and who deserted to go and work on the buildings. That being the case what we have is a blanket pardon for anyone who deserted the Irish DF between 1939 and 1945.

Finally all the deserter stories inevitably have an element of "we was discriminated against" so I reckon there are a few solicitors burning the midnight oil working on compo claims tonight.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Your comments are stunning in their simplistic interpretation of geography, politics and recent military history.

Firstly, Ireland is a geographical entity, an island off the west coast of Europe and not a nation. On this island, there are two separate political jurisdictions; the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom.

Secondly, I assume that your reference to "blowing up kids because they go to the wrong type of church" also includes those who have committed such atrocities in order to remain British citizens while living on the aforementioned island.

Thirdly, that the Irish "...has for a long time been a spineless nation of spiteful pussies" I refer you to the academic article for a brief summation of the Irish within the British Army "Irish Soldiers in the British Army, 1792 - 1922" by Peter Karsten and you may access it through Google Scholar. There are many other books available which I am sure can be recommended to you by more learned Arrsers than I on this topic.

Furthermore the above area of study can be refined by researching the individual histories of Irish regiments within the British Army; more learned colleagues may provide some useful links for same:

Irish named units of the British Army
    • Royal Northumberland Fusiliers was founded in 1674 as "The Irish Regiment"
    • The Volunteers of Ireland (1777-82), were renamed the 105th Regiment of Foot
    • 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards,
    • 5th Royal Irish Lancers, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons
    • 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars
    • Queen's Royal Irish Hussars, North Irish Horse
    • South Irish Horse
    • Irish Guards
    • Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
    • Royal Irish Fusiliers
    • Royal Ulster Rifles
    • Royal Irish Rifles
    • Royal Irish Rangers
    • Royal Irish Regiment
    • Tyneside Irish Brigade London Irish Rifles
    • Liverpool Irish.
    • Royal Irish Artillery

• Connaught Rangers
    • Leinster Regiment
    • Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    • Royal Irish Regiment (1684-1922)
    • Royal Munster Fusiliers
    • South Irish Horse

The majority of the above have been disbanded however the 'family tradition' of serving within particular regiments continues both North and South of the Irish border to this day.

In addition to the above, Irish serving within the British Army have distinguished themselves and do not deserve the offensive moniker of "spineless". As of April 2008, 188 recipients of the Victoria Cross were born in Ireland or had full Irish parentage. 30 Irish VCs were awarded in the Crimean War, 52 Irish VCs in the Indian Mutiny, 46 Irish VCs in numerous other British Empire campaigns between 1857 to 1914, 37 Irish VCs in World War I and eight Irish VCs in World War II.

These displays of courage and self-sacrifice have not been restricted to the British Army. Prior to 2010, of the 3,464 Medals of Honor awarded, an estimated 2,018 have been awarded to Irish-American recipients, more than twice the number awarded any other ethnic group; 257 Irish-born Americans have received the Congressional Medal of Honor which represents more than half of foreign-born MOH recipients.

To conclude, the rights and wrongs of De Valera's decision to declare the Irish Free State neutral during WW2 has been debated in a lively but considered fashion on this site previously without descending into gratuitous disregard for an entire race. It is regrettable that you were unable to do likewise.
    • Like Like x 11
  13. Er have you heard of the Black and Tans? Watched Wind that shakes the Barley? Irish Guards were formed due to the bravery of Irish Soldiers in the Boer War, in which my Grandad fought with the Royal Irish Rifles
    • Like Like x 2