WWII Defensive Pillboxes

ugly

LE
There are a few I see on my daily commute, this one between the river Ouse at Lewes and the railway line:
Lewes 1.JPG

daz

LE
Pembrey Country Park - Type 24 Pillbox
Just at the entrance to Pembrey Country Park, looks like it was emplaced to watch over the train line rather than the entrance to the former Royal Ordnance Factory at Pembrey.

_DSC2464 (Custom).jpg

_DSC2466 (Custom).jpg

_DSC2467 (Custom).jpg

_DSC2469 (Custom).jpg

_DSC2471 (Custom).jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I mentioned this one earlier as being used as a toilet by every railway worker since 1945, managed to find a picture of it today, with the new buildings I couldn't quite place it
View attachment 451009

Just a thought, if any of you know of ones near railway lines I can get reasonable quality aerial shots using the work computer.
There is one here at Putney bridge Station, I took a picture of it a while back but cant find it

Last edited:
Just at the entrance to Pembrey Country Park, looks like it was emplaced to watch over the train line rather than the entrance to the former Royal Ordnance Factory at Pembrey.

View attachment 453116

View attachment 453117

View attachment 453118

View attachment 453119

View attachment 453120
Don't forget that there was a large RAF airfield at Pembrey (and in about 1944 a Luftwaffe FW190 pilot got disorientated and landed at Pembrey thinking the Bristol Channel was Le Manche. To be fair the beach, especially with the dunes and pines, it looks French)

ugly

LE
I remember that one I’ll have to look for it later today
Ive had a look and it wont appear on our software, it was however mounted at the Bridge pier and the end of the down platform.

ugly

LE
The Andover one looks to be a lineside store rather than a pillbox/sentry post
Andover line side 1.JPG

ugly

LE
Bishopstone station has a Pillbox built into/onto the station roof

Bishopstone north.JPG
Bishopstone West.JPG
Bishopstone East.JPG

ugly

LE
Bishopstone station from Wiki:
Buildings and structures[edit]
The present station was designed by the architect James Robb Scott and opened on 26 September 1938, the same day that the original Bishopstone station at Tide Mills was first closed. The Art Deco design is said to be inspired by that of Arnos Grove tube station, which was designed by Charles Holden, and was intended to be the centrepiece of a proposed residential development that never took place due to the outbreak of the Second World War.[2]

The main building of the station is symmetrical, with an octagonal central booking hall and two extended wings. One of these wings formerly contained the ticket office and parcels office, and the other contained a waiting room and toilets. As built, the station had two side platforms in a cutting, accessed by stairs from a footbridge linking to the main station building.[2]

In 1940 a pair of pillboxes was built on the roof of the main station building, flanking its octagonal tower. Despite the times, considerable effort was made to blend these into the original structure, and they are thus well camouflaged.[2]

The last member of staff to work at the station was withdrawn in 1988. Today the old booking office and parcel office is occupied by a small newsagents, and the remaining station facilities are disused; but the main access to the trains is still via the octagonal booking hall. The line was singled in 1975 and all trains now use the former up platform.[2]

Bishopstone Station is a grade II listed building. Because it is unstaffed and unsupervised, and the fact that it is largely boarded up and disused, it is on English Heritage's at-risk register.[2]

Bishopstone station has a Pillbox built into/onto the station roof

View attachment 453221View attachment 453222View attachment 453223
I did think of calling wah on that but thought I had better check first. Ugly beat me to it.

Mostly because that Art Deco octagonal stubby tower was quite common in railway stations built from roughly 1925-39. if it wasn't octagonal it was circular.

I don't see how it can have been influenced by Arnos Grove as that has a circular tower. Hounslow West and Bounds Green would be better comparisons.

ugly

LE
I did think of calling wah on that but thought I had better check first. Ugly beat me to it.

Mostly because that Art Deco octagonal stubby tower was quite common in railway stations built from roughly 1925-39. if it wasn't octagonal it was circular.

I don't see how it can have been influenced by Arnos Grove as that has a circular tower. Hounslow West and Bounds Green would be better comparisons.
Both designed by the same chap though?

tiv

War Hero

View attachment 453116

View attachment 453117

View attachment 453118

View attachment 453119

View attachment 453120
The four holes on each face are interesting, I've seen it before on a Type 22 at St Osyth. Don't know the reason but it's tempting to assume it was to bolt steel plates to up-armour the box.

daz

LE
The four holes on each face are interesting, I've seen it before on a Type 22 at St Osyth. Don't know the reason but it's tempting to assume it was to bolt steel plates to up-armour the box.
Something like in this link

tiv

War Hero
Something like in this link
Sorry, all I can see is "Disable your adblocker and tracking protection"

Can't find the photos but this is a plan I did for the DoB survey back then as it seemed an interesting variation on the Type 22.

Clacton 2.jpg

daz

LE
Type 24 Pill Box, Doncombe Brook, Doncombe Hill, North Colerne

Rather well hidden...ok, overgrown

_DSC2476 (Custom).jpg
_DSC2477 (Custom).jpg
_DSC2478 (Custom).jpg
_DSC2483 (Custom).jpg
_DSC2484 (Custom).jpg
_DSC2485 (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Sorry, all I can see is "Disable your adblocker and tracking protection"

Can't find the photos but this is a plan I did for the DoB survey back then as it seemed an interesting variation on the Type 22.

View attachment 453418
Hopefully, you can see this now

Home Front Museum
@HomeFrontMuseum
·
Jan 26, 2018
Just can't drive past a #WW2 pillbox without taking a photo!
This type 24 pillbox is situated close to the old railway line at Parkgate on the Wirral.
yt (Custom).jpg
yy (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Thank-you, yes that's better. Looks in good condition, is the doorway blocked/
Looking at the pic, I'd say yes

Latest Threads