WWII /D-Day radio communications

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by wireless_barf, Jun 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. can anyone point me to a website/book etc that details the radiocommunications used on D-Day, and generally during WWII? Particularly technical details such as equipment types, frequencies/bands and which service/units used which, net heirarchy etc

i am very interested in the little known aspects of WWII such as the communications,
  2. Gundulph,

I'll be honest comms isn't really my cup of tea... well not since the GPO nailed my CB radio way back in 80/81'ish.

But that website is outstanding!!! :D :D

Talk about a labour of love?? :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am impressed!!
  3. good site, but not what im after (unless ive missed it, possible at this time)

what im looking for is something that gives an overview of how the comms for various units were set up, ie, what bands and equipment did beach parties use to guide in ships? what did the ships use to coordinate landing craft launches and air cover? etc etc etc
  4. Not bunting tossing but perhaps semaphore and morse?

Sound recognition due to "background"** noise may have affected radio comms/atmospherics affecting reception etc?

just a thought :oops:

unit histories? don't know if comms probs would have been mentioned in the scheme of things...

** noise as in battle...
  5. yes, thats a thought, would imagine use of aldis lamps etc between line ships, but would have thought comms to the faster landing craft would be by radio?

I doubt atmospheric conditions would have had much affect over the relatively short ranges from beach to command ships etc, and its well known radio was used for this, but how was it organised?
  6. While not a web site, if you can make it to Kew and the Public Records Office the following files might be helpful:

WO 199/3043 Operation Overlord: Communications in the South Western Zone
    WO 219/637 Operation Overlord: Communications zone plan and Appendices B to I
    WO 219/4583 Operation Overlord: Communications zone signal plan
    WO 219/4584 Operation Overlord: Signal Instructions
    AIR 37/1000 SHAEF (Main and Rear): Operation Overlord Signals Instruction
    AIR 37/245 COS, SHAEF, Operation Overlord: signals cover plan
    WO 199/3031 Operation Overlord Signal Instruction Part 1
    WO 199/3032 – 199/3039 Operation Overlord: Signals organization, administration and general correspondence.
    WO 219/440 Operation Neptune: Signal Plan Part 1
    WO 219/444 Operation Neptune: Signal Plan Part 2

There are more files but just thought a few would suffice to give you a flavour of what was available.
  7. For those with a bad case of anoraksia: Wireless for the Warrior
  8. I've been trying for some time to track down recordings of WWII comms, just to get a feel for the VP.
    Apart from some very short pieces from the Pacific (US tankers) I've had no joy.
  9. BB - not a recording but I might have something at home of interest. IIRC the 15/19H history has an appendix that was intended to give readers the feel of war by wireless.
    Wait out..

PM sent.
  10. Regret that I'm a few years late posting to this thread - but perhaps the information might be of some assistance.

A couple decades ago, I stopped in a book store in Leesburg, Virginia, that specialized in military books. While talking to the owner, I happened to glance in the glass case that was his main counter. In the center was a large book - perhaps 12" wide, 16" tall, and 1.5" thick. What first caught my eye was that it had one time been classified TOP SECRET and progressively down classified to SECRET and finally Unclassified. I do not recall the exact title, but it was apparently one volume of a larger set. It was the Communications Plan or Annex for ????. I believe it said Operation OVERLORD, but it may have used different terminology.

As an Amateur Radio Operator who has played with more than his share of "War Surplus" radios over the years, I was intrigued. The owner got it out and let me look through it. It was full of charts, graphs and fold-out maps. He was about to close the shop, so I did not have much time - I thumbed through the pages a bit and looked for things like "BC-611" and found a bunch of them. There were drawings using the little military mapping symbols for unit designations, etc., that followed signal flow from England, to the ships/aircraft, to the landing and inland.

As it was once classified at that level, it was my impression that it was a document prepared for the actual invasion, rather than something like an historical, after-action report.

Before I left, I asked how much he wanted for it. He said it had been in his shop for a while and there did not seem to be much intrest in the radio sapects of D-Day. Plus, it was only one volume of the set. He was asking $100. Much more than I had in my pockets at the time.

Over the next week or so, I discussed it with "you know who" and she agreed that although it was a LOT of money, if I really wanted it, I could "borrow against" my next few birthdays and perhaps a Christmas or two. I immediately tried to call the store and did not get an answer. The following Saturday, I went out to the store and it was closed. There was a small card in the window indicating he was going out of business and that his stock was being sold to another shop. I could not see the counter where the book had been located to see if it was still there. I did find the other shop some months later, but the owner said that book had not been in the inventory he had purchased.

He who hesitates is lost!

As you have probably guessed, I came across this thread by doing a search to try and find out what the book was actually titled? If they were available anyplace - either real or copies? And (Ta-dah!) how much do they cost now?

Any additional insight welcomed.

Regards, Dave