WWII Carrier Pigeon

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by nobbyd, Dec 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Has this story just arrived with you via your carrier pigeon?

(It is about two weeks old now)
  2. Pretty much, yes - I've had Kromeriz wittering at me for the last three weeks, but he's out for the day today and I'm taking the opportunity to catch up.

I had a look through news and current affairs, but obviously missed where it was first posted.
  3. Wouldn't it be easier to find out where the pigeon came from, ie its tag number. Surely must be some record somewhere ??. That might give the block of one-time cipher codes used which might at least narrow down the search. Even the most sofisticated Cray computer would struggle to crack this inside a couple of years. The permutations are 5 billion+ even for a 2 week block of codes, let alone a year or a war !!!
  4. Have they managed to decode this yet?
  5. **** that for old hat, if you do decode it succesfully, keep it to yourself, otherwise you get a visit from GCHQ recruiters, shortly after which you turn up in a MOSSAD issue sports bag on the Thames embankment!
  6. Up a chimney apparently

The decipher reads
    "Dear Santa.............."
    • Like Like x 4
  7. [​IMG]

"…Its's worse than that, He's dead Jim!"
  8. Good job no ******* relying on the information any more. I am sure the code breakers in WW2 would have it cracked by now.
  9. Well, I never knew that.
  10. There are two pigeon identification numbers in the message - NURP.40.TW.194 and NURP.37.OK.76. It is unclear which one relates to the bird in the chimney.

11. The pigeon was found, allegedly, in 1982. Only now, 30 years on, has GCHQ decided to talk about it...
  12. According to this Telegraph article it has not been found yet..

Quest to crack secrets of lost D-Day pigeon - Telegraph
  13. Out the office maybe but still watching. Meanwhile, now for a thread on Nobbyd. Shall we say the Naafi Bar for good sport?

Nobbyd's Law: SAS combat medics are not real combat medics and actually INFERIOR to RAMC medics coz they do not carry a snake on their lids. Discuss.