WWII Carrier Pigeon

Has this story just arrived with you via your carrier pigeon?

(It is about two weeks old now)
Pretty much, yes - I've had Kromeriz wittering at me for the last three weeks, but he's out for the day today and I'm taking the opportunity to catch up.

I had a look through news and current affairs, but obviously missed where it was first posted.

Wouldn't it be easier to find out where the pigeon came from, ie its tag number. Surely must be some record somewhere ??. That might give the block of one-time cipher codes used which might at least narrow down the search. Even the most sofisticated Cray computer would struggle to crack this inside a couple of years. The permutations are 5 billion+ even for a 2 week block of codes, let alone a year or a war !!!

Have they managed to decode this yet?

**** that for old hat, if you do decode it succesfully, keep it to yourself, otherwise you get a visit from GCHQ recruiters, shortly after which you turn up in a MOSSAD issue sports bag on the Thames embankment!

It looks like a one time pad (BATCO was a OTP). Unbreakable unless you have the original key, and that key is used once and once only.
Well, I never knew that.

Wouldn't it be easier to find out where the pigeon came from, ie its tag number. Surely must be some record somewhere ??.
There are two pigeon identification numbers in the message - NURP.40.TW.194 and NURP.37.OK.76. It is unclear which one relates to the bird in the chimney.

The pigeon was found, allegedly, in 1982. Only now, 30 years on, has GCHQ decided to talk about it...
According to this Telegraph article it has not been found yet..

But a carrier pigeon dispatched by the invasion force to relay secret messages back across the Channel never made it home to its base.

Instead the bird got stuck in a chimney only to be discovered 70 years later, it's secret communique still attached to its skeleton in a red capsule.
Quest to crack secrets of lost D-Day pigeon - Telegraph

Pretty much, yes - I've had Kromeriz wittering at me for the last three weeks, but he's out for the day today and I'm taking the opportunity to catch up.

I had a look through news and current affairs, but obviously missed where it was first posted.
Out the office maybe but still watching. Meanwhile, now for a thread on Nobbyd. Shall we say the Naafi Bar for good sport?

Title
Nobbyd's Law: SAS combat medics are not real combat medics and actually INFERIOR to RAMC medics coz they do not carry a snake on their lids. Discuss.

Out the office maybe but still watching. Meanwhile, now for a thread on Nobbyd. Shall we say the Naafi Bar for good sport?

Title
Nobbyd's Law: SAS combat medics are not real combat medics and actually INFERIOR to RAMC medics coz they do not carry a snake on their lids. Discuss.
Krom was still half shitfaced in the car this morning, and can infer any old bollocks he likes. An SAS medic isn't the same as a Combat Medic - Combat Medics only have snakes on their lids (unless he TFI's elsewhere, in which case he is a former Combat Medic).

Discus

There was a pigeon loft in the area which belonged to '6.

This would suggest an OTP. Which there is zero chance of decoding without a crib.

However, the same group "AOAKN" is repeated in the message. Which suggests something else.

It looks like a one time pad (BATCO was a OTP). Unbreakable unless you have the original key, and that key is used once and once only.
I seem to recall using BATCO more than once, different keysettings but the same crypto. 5M = 6B = 4C etc.