WWII British night vision equipment

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, Sep 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Tabby" in the vernacular.

Mate has one he found in a pile of rubble at a house he was going to buy.
  2. I thought it was only the Septics that had Image Intensifying Equipment during WWII. Ahh well, you learn something new every day. :D
  3. How did it work?
  4. No battery compartment and no IR lamp or other illuminator. I didn't think there was any sort of II technology around back then, and that IR was the only form of night vision?
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the Wermacht had them too -

6. Some were issued to the Westminster Dragoons in early 1945.

It's worth a look at their war diary since it records their issue and peril if lost.
  7. It's a cool box for carrots.

No need to push, I know where my coat is
  8. So it is just an IR viewer, and not an image intensification device.

I guess they must have used it to pick up IR signalling lamps and the like - it would have been of very limited use without some sort of active IR illuminator.
  9. I think you are probably right, there is an image here taken with one, not clear how much light was available:

10. I saw one of these at the Saturday Collectors Market at London Bridge in the 90s. It was marked 1944. Couldn't find any other references to it in any books about British Army kit. The one I saw wasn't working and was selling for £20. Perhaps I should have bought it after all.
  11. Probably for grip. It was used by Combined Operations Pilotage Parties so would be in the water a great deal.
  12. Saw one a few years ago in the D Day museum near Omaha Beach, was surprised as I'd never seen or heard of one before.