WWII British Commando Boot Nets

why? surely those boot nets had a use when men wore leather hob-nails? but from dms up to today what use would they serve>

theMoth123

Clanker
I don't know, that's why I was asking.
Thank you though.
But surely they could of just removed the hob nails, so surely they could make u slightly quieter!?!

Do you know how they're worn?

I'm only guessing mate!
But I thought if their use was for keeping noise down ?then that's redundant now, then again they could have provided grip in muddy circumstances, but still guessing.

Back when I was a youngster I was not only a keen canoeist but also a bit stupid. Some things have changed and others haven't (hint, I don't canoe any more and I am no longer young).

Anyhow, I saw a couple of these things in a surplus catalogue, along the description that they were used to gain purchase on wet rocks and river beds. I had the thought that maybe when clambering over rocks or chasing after my canoe (I was an RAF canoeist, first sign of trouble and bang out) these would be useful.

Bought them mail order, eagerly awaited their arrival, tried them on - realised I looked like a complete tit and I had (once again) wasted some hard earned money. They may be in a bag somewhere in loft of my ex-wife, god only knows...

Edited to add: You kind of step into them, then the outer most piece of string goes all the way around. This is then tied tight - there was enough slack to reach fairly high up and they went mostly over the toes.

Last edited:
I thought they were to provide traction on wet rocks and wet metal decks.

Posted in a break from looking for the cat, who's gone into hiding!
The ROK's used to make a similar thing using straw rope for use in slippery conditions

I had also heard that they were some form of anti tracking, although I cannot see how as you would be replacing one clasic boot print with another easily recognisable one.
Gadge

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
It says in the ad:
... these Nets were designed to be worn over the soles of the boots in order to deaden the noise and leave an indistinct trail.
So obviously the local trackers would then say: "Ooh, look! Commandos with them net things over their treaders".

MsG

Oh and they really aren't that useful - modern rubber soled boots do the job good enough.

And no, there shouldn't be a modern equivalent - you would still look like a tit, remember... Allyness saves lives.

I'm more inclined to think the sellers don't know what they're talking about As has been noted it's highly unlikely any tracker would be fooled. However Hilary St. George Saunders did make reference to these being used to improve traction on wet rocks etc. in his book "The Green Beret". Well worth a read for anyone interested in the Commandos in WW2.

Posted in a break from looking for the cat, who's gone into hiding!

I'm more inclined to think the sellers don't know what they're talking about As has been noted it's highly unlikely any tracker would be fooled. However Hilary St. George Saunders did make reference to these being used to improve traction on wet rocks etc. in his book "The Green Beret". Well worth a read for anyone interested in the Commandos in WW2.

Was that their manufactured purpose or something that somebody thought would be a good idea?

I've never seen them before but my first thought was that they were something worn to stop marines' boots scuffing the wooden decks. Didn't the Marine bugler have a small mat for the same purpose?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
This has my vote for the ultimate piece of walt kit; pricey, totally useless and effortlessly proclaiming the wearer to be an ineradicable cnut - why don't they market these as SF balcony socks?

Back when I was a youngster I was not only a keen canoeist but also a bit stupid. Some things have changed and others haven't (hint, I don't canoe any more and I am no longer young).

Anyhow, I saw a couple of these things in a surplus catalogue, along the description that they were used to gain purchase on wet rocks and river beds. I had the thought that maybe when clambering over rocks or chasing after my canoe (I was an RAF canoeist, first sign of trouble and bang out) these would be useful.

Bought them mail order, eagerly awaited their arrival, tried them on - realised I looked like a complete tit and I had (once again) wasted some hard earned money. They may be in a bag somewhere in loft of my ex-wife, god only knows...

Edited to add: You kind of step into them, then the outer most piece of string goes all the way around. This is then tied tight - there was enough slack to reach fairly high up and they went mostly over the toes.
Air Cadet canoeists? DofE on the Severn mid 80s?