WWII battledress badge

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Mick2mor, Nov 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My first post on this forum, although I've been visiting for some time. I'm only a civi so don't feel privileged enough to pass comment or join in on many posts.

My question concerns the badge worn on the lower left sleeve of my father's battledress prior to his demob in 1946. Positioned above his two service chevrons is an oval badge with the letters SP and a branch of some sort beneath

I'm having problems posting the photo, but I will try harder if it helps to identify this badge (some help may be needed here). My father served with 1st Glosters in Burma and India and I believe he was in the regimental police at some point.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance

Mick

2. Not 100% sure but it sounds like a trade badge. SP, I think stands for Special Proficiency.

3. This it, top dead center?

[​IMG]

According to Digger History- Special Proficiency

4. That's the one - Special Proficiency. I wish I'd asked before - many thanks for that Purplegunner and Goldbricker , I appreciate your help. Of course, the next question is, how can I find out what that proficiency was? I imagine I might need to speak to the regimental museum.

I understand that, because of his background in horseracing, he had some involvement with the mule transport but is that a sufficient reason to be awarded a proficiency badge. His discharge papers make no reference to it.

5. Indeed it is Special Proficiency but I understand from the only reference I've seen about it, that its actual meaning is more like 'being in receipt of special proficiency pay' - more like a tradesman ;Clerk, Regimental Tailor, or Regimental Cook rather than expertise in a particular infantry skill.
    Good Luck with your search.