WWII Airman stuck in treetop for 60+ years?

Hikers in Papau New Guinea have discovered what apperas to be the moss covered remains of a WWII airman in a parachute harness hanging in the treetops about halfway along the Kokoda Path.

The Australian Defence Force is preparing to visit the Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea to confirm a possible discovery of the body of a World War II airman found hanging above the track.

A group of Melbourne trekkers say they discovered what they suspect is a moss-covered body hanging in a harness from the jungle canopy.

An Australian Defence Force (ADF) spokesman says the location of the find is near a flight path commonly used by allied aircraft during WWII and that a number of aircraft were reported as missing in this area..................
Rest of article and photo here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/28/2349562.htm

It might seem a daft question, but did the japs routinely have parachutes?

Whoever he was he deserves his peace now, it doesn't matter what nationality, he served and did his bit

RIP

gloworm said:
Whoever he was he deserves his peace now, it doesn't matter what nationality, he served and did his bit

RIP
I totally agree. Was merely wondering!

If this is the body of a human being, he will be known to God.

Requiescat in Pace.

PS He will not be known to Dawkins of course!

PPS Are there any takers for a 'book' on whether the name of 'Dawkins' will still be revered in two thousand years or so?

That wasn't aimed at you there B-o-F, that was just my reaction to the 'unknown' factor.

In answer to yours the Japanese did have 'chutes, but it is more likely to be an allied airman in PNG.

lsquared said:

Requiescat in Pace.

PPS Are there any takers for a 'book' on whether the name of 'Dawkins' will still be revered in two thousand years or so?
Dropped off you medication??

Tartan_Terrier said:
Hikers in Papau New Guinea have discovered what apperas to be the moss covered remains of a WWII airman in a parachute harness hanging in the treetops about halfway along the Kokoda Path.

The Australian Defence Force is preparing to visit the Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea to confirm a possible discovery of the body of a World War II airman found hanging above the track.

A group of Melbourne trekkers say they discovered what they suspect is a moss-covered body hanging in a harness from the jungle canopy.

An Australian Defence Force (ADF) spokesman says the location of the find is near a flight path commonly used by allied aircraft during WWII and that a number of aircraft were reported as missing in this area..................
Rest of article and photo here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/28/2349562.htm

Had a look at some of the comments below that article. And I thought ARRSE NAAFI bar had all the lunatics:

Prof S:
28 Aug 2008 12:30:01pm

Frankly, this skeleton now serves a purpose, it supports an assortment of life and is now part of a rich ecosystem in one of the few areas in the world where biodiverstiy is relatively untainted by human greed. Let it stay, and let us not forget that it now supports our existence on this plane
t [Unquote]

8O

gloworm said:

RIP
Absolutely. RIP

box-of-frogs said:
It might seem a daft question, but did the japs routinely have parachutes?
Only the kamikaze pilots were issued with chutes, just in case of a last minute change of heart.

lsquared said:

Requiescat in Pace.

PPS Are there any takers for a 'book' on whether the name of 'Dawkins' will still be revered in two thousand years or so?[/quote]

Yep I have a bet on that there will be a book. It'll be about what a great chap Dawkins was, and how 2000 yrs of improved technology finally proved that God doesn't exist and evolution etc was a freak accident. It will also laugh at the backward thinking of the old religious types. Dawkins will be remembered as being a guiding beacon along with Darwin. But if I put a tenner on, how do I get my winnings in 2000yrs time, when I won't be around and neither will you , because there is only blackness after we have gone.........................

I'd have thought that a body there for that long would've rotted and fallen to the ground before it could get completely encased in moss?

As someone's confirmed, thankfully it wasn't a long lost Airman, but is it possible that one in such a state could be found even 60-odd years on?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Prof S:
28 Aug 2008 12:30:01pm

Frankly, this skeleton now serves a purpose, it supports an assortment of life and is now part of a rich ecosystem in one of the few areas in the world where biodiverstiy is relatively untainted by human greed. Let it stay, and let us not forget that it now supports our existence on this plane
t
Let us hope Prof S is arranging a funeral for the mossy log which supports an assortment of life and is now part of a rich ecosystem in one of the few areas in the world where biodiverstiy is relatively untainted by human greed?

Bless.

RIP mossy log my Brother In Moss. You supported some spiders with honour.

Latest Threads