Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

WWII AA site question

Looked at the map and none of the local sites I'm aware of seem listed..... although they may have been more mobile as little remains to indicate where they were .....possibly also later than the map as I think several local ones were anti diver sites .

Diver sites left little or no remains as they used a portable holdfast known as a Pile Portable Platform.

Typical Diver site at Orford:

Southwold.jpg

The Pile Platform used a matrix sleepers and railway track with a holdfast attached and buried in the ground, This is a model of one:

Pile Portable Platform.jpg

Last edited:
The inners were for ammunition and the two outers were shelters, one said to be for the use of the Limber Gunner.

Thanks, I've never seen one in person.

From the photo it looks in exceptional condition, is it one that's been conserved or restored?

The Clyde GDA also contained five batteries of the ultimate in AA gun defence from the Cold War, full automatic 5.25" guns firing at 18 rds/min - four of which survive. There are a lot of photos of the one at Stockiemuir here Stockiemuir | Canmore

Diver sites left little or no remains as they used a portable holdfast known as a Pile Portable Platform.

Typical Diver site at Southwold:

View attachment 495859

The Pile Platform used a matrix sleepers and railway track with a holdfast attached and buried in the ground, This is a model of one:

View attachment 495861
I know it says Southwold but in the background it looks an awful lot like Orford Castle and it doesn't look like the church tower at Southwold nor any other construction I can think of. Happy to be corrected.

I know it says Southwold but in the background it looks an awful lot like Orford Castle and it doesn't look like the church tower at Southwold nor any other construction I can think of. Happy to be corrected.
Quite right, had a bit of brain fade there!

I don't suppose you'd do the same for me, please? I'm interested in the Tees 8 site, the southernmost one of the Teesside group.

The reason for this is that I stumbled on an obviously military (and largely concealed) site at the northwest corner of the North York Moors as I was coming toward the end of a very boring Lyke Wake Walk in 1974ish. I intended to revisit the area but never got round to it and now I don't expect that I ever will.

About 10 years ago, I dropped into a book-signing thing by someone on the Defence of Britain project so asked him if he was aware of the site. He was a bit non-committal and suggested that it was a Starfish site. This location didn't tally with recorded Starfish sites so I remain intrigued. Prior to forestation (that's forest-ation, not fore-station), this site would have had good views along the industrial Tees Valley to the north as well as along the area to the west of the Moors. I understand that this was along the route that bombers would have taken to reach West Yorkshire.