WWII AA site question

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
I was just messing about on Bing Maps, and found this. Please explain what these thingies are. Presumably the artillery was in the middle of the circular things, but what did what?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It's the firing site for a troop (four guns) of 3.7in HAA guns, static mountings by the look of it. There should be another one about half a mile away for the other half of the battery.

If you wrote the thread title you already knew the answer?

tiv

LE
The structure in the centre is the Command Post, the open section containng the optical instrumens. The other four structures appear to be 1941 Pattern gun pits.

I was just messing about on Bing Maps, and found this. Please explain what these thingies are. Presumably the artillery was in the middle of the circular things, but what did what?
Thanks in advance.
I'm no expert, but I'm sure I've seen photos of similar sites in action where they had a rangefinder mounted on top of the "E" shaped building. Possibly some sort of acoustic device as well.

Edit: tiv beat me to it with a better explanation.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The structure in the centre is the Command Post, the open section containing the optical instruments. The other four structures appear to be 1941 Pattern gun pits.
Why are the gun pits relatively close to the command post? Would not the blast from the AA guns knock the optical rangefinder out of calibration?

Wordsmith

tiv

LE
Why are the gun pits relatively close to the command post? Would not the blast from the AA guns knock the optical rangefinder out of calibration?

Wordsmith
Apparently not in the case of the 3.7" and 4.5" guns. The guns were clustered around the Command Posts to allow the offset for each gun to be calculated so I understand

When the 5.25" was introduced, problems were encountered and in some instances new command posts were constructed away from the guns for that reason.

Looked at the map and none of the local sites I'm aware of seem listed..... although they may have been more mobile as little remains to indicate where they were .....possibly also later than the map as I think several local ones were anti diver sites .

Tyk

LE
In the actual gun emplacements what's the purpose of the inward pointing square teeth? Is it correct to assume the larger teeth were ready ammo storage?

tiv

LE
In the actual gun emplacements what's the purpose of the inward pointing square teeth? Is it correct to assume the larger teeth were ready ammo storage?
The inners were for ammunition and the two outers were shelters, one said to be for the use of the Limber Gunner.

tiv

LE
Looked at the map and none of the local sites I'm aware of seem listed..... although they may have been more mobile as little remains to indicate where they were .....possibly also later than the map as I think several local ones were anti diver sites .
Diver sites left little or no remains as they used a portable holdfast known as a Pile Portable Platform.

Typical Diver site at Orford:

Southwold.jpg

The Pile Platform used a matrix sleepers and railway track with a holdfast attached and buried in the ground, This is a model of one:

Pile Portable Platform.jpg

Last edited:

Tyk

LE
The inners were for ammunition and the two outers were shelters, one said to be for the use of the Limber Gunner.
Thanks, I've never seen one in person.

From the photo it looks in exceptional condition, is it one that's been conserved or restored?

Latest Threads