• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

WWI Research - 7th En Bn?

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help.

Recently been researching family history and this came up. He joined Gren Gds and posted to 7th En Bn(?), 3rd Army.

Am I right in thinking he was infantry attached to the 7th Engineer Labour Bn? The info I've seen online mention this Bn as part of 2nd Army ORBAT.

Anyone with any further info before I call the museum and get dusty amongst the books?

Attachments

Could be.

Or maybe he went through/saw what was happening to the rest of his Bn and thought, fook that for a game of soldiers!

Do you have his medal card? From that you check the medal rolls at the National Archives to get his battalion. And then maybe see the relevant war diaries.
Drop me a PM if you need any assistance with any of this.

Excellent, that's the medal roll index card and from that we can work out the reference to the actual medal roll held at the National Archives.

The reference is: WO 329/570, Royal Engineers (Railways) other ranks: medal rolls RE/102B72; RE/102B73; RE/102B74. Pages 14148-14448. British War Medal and Victory Medal, page 14275.

On my next visit to Kew, I'll copy the medal roll for you and post it here.

Cheers Psypher, have had a good look at their website and they say that the Labour Bns rarely have any info other than what we already have. Also that the ROD records are scarce on info too.

That being said, if you happen to find anything I'd be grateful. Saves me a trip down there.

oldbaldy

LE
You'll have seen then the date of his transfer is 1 Oct 1916.
Prior to that he was on probation from the April.
I suspect the 1st Battalion mentioned isn't the Guards but an RE unit.

Edit to say, that is strange as the RE Railway units were Companies & not Battalions.

His enlistment papers and medal card both state Gren Gds.

Edited to add: I've read that infantry soldiers sometimes went to Labour Battalions and these were also referred to as Engineer Labour Battalions.

Hence the original question.

oldbaldy

LE
Edited to add: I've read that infantry soldiers sometimes went to Labour Battalions and these were also referred to as Engineer Labour Battalions.
Correct & became the Labour Corps in 1917. Mainly the were officered and manned by people who were unfit for frontline service (not A1) or been wounded and not fit enough to go back to their unit.

Yeah saw that.

He was posted to 25 Coy ROD and by Oct 1916 was an Engine Dvr Skilled. So reckon the Construction Companies can be ignored in this instance.

Untitled3.jpg

Latest Threads