WWI Research - 7th En Bn?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by engee, Mar 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, hoping someone can help.

Recently been researching family history and this came up. He joined Gren Gds and posted to 7th En Bn(?), 3rd Army.

Am I right in thinking he was infantry attached to the 7th Engineer Labour Bn? The info I've seen online mention this Bn as part of 2nd Army ORBAT.

Anyone with any further info before I call the museum and get dusty amongst the books?

Attached Files:

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

It says he was with The Railway Operating Division of the RE.
    I take it he worked on the railways prewar?

3. He was a policeman.

His brother-in-law was a railwayman and joined ROD in 1915.

4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Could be they asked for volunteers & because of the family connection he went for it.

5. Could be.

Or maybe he went through/saw what was happening to the rest of his Bn and thought, fook that for a game of soldiers!

6. Do you have his medal card? From that you check the medal rolls at the National Archives to get his battalion. And then maybe see the relevant war diaries.
    Drop me a PM if you need any assistance with any of this.

7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I was being polite :)

8. Untitled2.jpg

Got all that thanks.

9. Excellent, that's the medal roll index card and from that we can work out the reference to the actual medal roll held at the National Archives.

The reference is: WO 329/570, Royal Engineers (Railways) other ranks: medal rolls RE/102B72; RE/102B73; RE/102B74. Pages 14148-14448. British War Medal and Victory Medal, page 14275.

On my next visit to Kew, I'll copy the medal roll for you and post it here.

10. Cheers Psypher, have had a good look at their website and they say that the Labour Bns rarely have any info other than what we already have. Also that the ROD records are scarce on info too.

That being said, if you happen to find anything I'd be grateful. Saves me a trip down there.

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I found a bit more about him on Ancestry.
    Wife Beatrice, married 9 March 1912
    Is that him?

12. That's him.

I'm using ancestry too. His full service record is on there too and mentions Beatrice as his NOK.

13. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

You'll have seen then the date of his transfer is 1 Oct 1916.
    Prior to that he was on probation from the April.
    I suspect the 1st Battalion mentioned isn't the Guards but an RE unit.

Edit to say, that is strange as the RE Railway units were Companies & not Battalions.

14. His enlistment papers and medal card both state Gren Gds.

Edited to add: I've read that infantry soldiers sometimes went to Labour Battalions and these were also referred to as Engineer Labour Battalions.

Hence the original question.