WWI Group build

Quick update on the MkV
Finally decided to get my arrse in gear and get it sort of finished though looking closer at some of these i keep spotting bits i have missed. Not really saying it's done, more like drop zero awaiting the next software uplift.
Excuse the missing Hotchkiss but some the figures being worked on were holding them :-D
View attachment 386544 View attachment 386545 View attachment 386546 View attachment 386547 View attachment 386548 View attachment 386549 View attachment 386550 View attachment 386551 View attachment 386554 View attachment 386553 View attachment 386552
That's looking really good. Proper job, as we say round here!
 
Part of the problem is getting the wire straight and kink free..... some of runs on the Biplane kits are challenging to say the least
Depends how long a bit you need but rolling it on a flat surface under a ruler works pretty well.
 
The Roland has had it's first colour run.

1555051962201.png


I think the light green needs firming up and when it has had a day or so to dry I will marsk up the colour edges to get a better line. It sits on the cheap cake stand from B&M.

On a not to off topping note I was at the South Yorkshire Air Museum (Doncaster) and came across to scale models of SE5s. Although a number of you have provided excellent photos of the rigging because these are scale models you are able to get the complete rigging lines in in one picture so yo can see the start point and endpoint.

1555052770688.png


1555052792704.png


They also had a Sidcott suit and a leather flying coat. Unfortunately the light reflection made it difficult to take photos and I kept getting a reflection of an ugly fat guy in the picture.

1555053084549.png


1555053119073.png
 
As some of you will remember I have been having problems with EZ Line and threading it through the loops. This generated an interesting discussion on different methods and items that could be used. EZ Line and fishing line (0.3mm) are probably the best methods but EZ Line is difficult the thread.

Then last night it came to me (and it wasn't even bath night). Paint or put glue on the end to give it rigidity. I have seen with super glue that it caused the EZ Line to curl up so went for paint as I had just finished painting the underside. This worked very well and gave it enough rigidity to work with. I then used thin modeling glue and at first the line curled but as it dryed to straightened and became ridgid.

The thin glue was more convenient as there was no need for a brush to be cleaned after.

1555308029253.png


Roland has had its paint applied and the wriggling is moving on, a lot faster now that I can thread the line through.

1555308324386.png


Still not quite got the hang of using an airbrush yet but it is progressing and confidence is growing.

Invested in some figures for the SE5 from Elan13 and they look quite nice. A little carving needed but they look the part. I will have to look at the German ones.

1555308623424.png
 
Quick update on the MkV
Finally decided to get my arrse in gear and get it sort of finished though looking closer at some of these i keep spotting bits i have missed. Not really saying it's done, more like drop zero awaiting the next software uplift.
Excuse the missing Hotchkiss but some the figures being worked on were holding them :-D
View attachment 386544 View attachment 386545 View attachment 386546 View attachment 386547 View attachment 386548 View attachment 386549 View attachment 386550 View attachment 386551 View attachment 386554 View attachment 386553 View attachment 386552
That's really very good, the rough hand field painted id marks, stand out.
One thing, I never realised that the Spondon doors opened away from the hull. Logical really, gives protection when bailing out.
 

Helm

MIA
Moderator
Book Reviewer
As some of you will remember I have been having problems with EZ Line and threading it through the loops. This generated an interesting discussion on different methods and items that could be used. EZ Line and fishing line (0.3mm) are probably the best methods but EZ Line is difficult the thread.

Then last night it came to me (and it wasn't even bath night). Paint or put glue on the end to give it rigidity. I have seen with super glue that it caused the EZ Line to curl up so went for paint as I had just finished painting the underside. This worked very well and gave it enough rigidity to work with. I then used thin modeling glue and at first the line curled but as it dryed to straightened and became ridgid.

The thin glue was more convenient as there was no need for a brush to be cleaned after.

View attachment 387959

Roland has had its paint applied and the wriggling is moving on, a lot faster now that I can thread the line through.

View attachment 387960

Still not quite got the hang of using an airbrush yet but it is progressing and confidence is growing.

Invested in some figures for the SE5 from Elan13 and they look quite nice. A little carving needed but they look the part. I will have to look at the German ones.

View attachment 387961
Might want to offer the Elan figures up to the model first before starting them. I've heard some people say they aren't scaled well to aircraft.
 
Part of the problem is getting the wire straight and kink free..... some of runs on the Biplane kits are challenging to say the least
Sorry about the delay but have only just seen this. Put one end of your wire in a vice and, using pliers on the other end, pull it until you just feel it give. (could have phrased that a bit better). I use this method on model boats and it works a treat.
 
Bugger. Sorry to hear that mate. The incoming porn ban might be your saving grace! :D
 

Latest Threads

Top