WWI Group build

Would copper wire do the trick?
I used to work in the production of wire, from extruding 1/2 inch copper rod down to fine wire, we then bunched it to varying diameters to make electric cable (Ward and Goldstones, Salford).
There are some really fine wires available which I'm sure would make some better manipulative rigging than the cotton you describe.

I used to work in the production of wire, from extruding 1/2 inch copper rod down to fine wire, we then bunched it to varying diameters to make electric cable (Ward and Goldstones, Salford).
There are some really fine wires available which I'm sure would make some better manipulative rigging than the cotton you describe.
This is an ongoing problem which started with the dh2. With that I used fishing line, and although it will go through the holes very nicely you had great difficulty tightening it. At one point it was bending the frames on the aircraft due to the method we were using to tighten it which was a hot piece of metal. if you look very carefully where the blue line bends, it goes through a piece of copper wire (0.03mm) which came from headphones and the loop it's going through is 0.3 of a millimetre. The copper tube has a 0.5 inner diameter. The problem is to get the cable tight, which E-Z line managed to do because it's elastic. But it's not rigid so it's quite difficult to push through the tube.

I think E-Z line is the item to use it's just a bugger to use.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you want copper wire, give two Scotsmen a penny and watch them argue over it! Taxi.........

Part of the problem is getting the wire straight and kink free..... some of runs on the Biplane kits are challenging to say the least

Back on the SE5 yesterday. Started on the rigging adn then realised that I needed to fit the wheels on first as some of the lines are attached to them.

The more I use the EZline the more problems with it I find. Its lack of rigidity when passing through small holes makes it very difficult to thread. It also I think attracts static an in a number of cases it was difficult to capture as it moved away from the tweezers. It also attached itself to other lines and the smell of glue would cause it to stick to other lines. The elasticity of the lines made it difficult to pull away when caught. It is also very,very light. Breathing when getting close would move the lines and don't ever sneeze or blow away dust.

View attachment 384037

I had to use the paper so that I could see the line contrasting against the wing.

On the other hand getting the lines taut is very simple and a dab of glue will hold them, just don't let the glue touch another lines or they will stick to it.

WW1 aircraft models suggested that putting the rigging wires on the top wing first then connecting the two wa a good method. He lies like a cheep NAAFI watch. This caused lots of problems. the lines go every place and get in the way. Because they are so light and hold static they stick to each other and it can be very difficult sorting one from the other. On the plus side you can blow them away, just make sure you have a good hold on the line you want.

I did this down stair thinking that the light would be better and it was till a cloud came by, one second you are in bright light then as you have nearly threaded the line on the 20th attempt you are plunged into darkness. It took 2 hours to attach 5 wires and I was getting into my stride when the light failed and I had to stop.

I am still not sure about EL Line, it has lots of negatives but also a number of big pluses. I may get some thicker line and try that out on the 1/35 DH2.
Look at the fishing version, same thing, damm site cheaper .... cracking build BTW, its enough to put me off Biplanes for life :)

Last night I learnt some things.

A very small section of the sticky part of a post-it-note is very good for holding small items (this has been quite a revelation and very useful as you can transport small item to location without them falling).
Holding items that are smaller than the ends of the tweezers, tightly, can cause the item to spring off into that magical kingdom of never seen again.
Using your mouth as a third pair of hands when supergluing will always end in tears (again).
This new (new to me) technique of wicking glue into the seems doesn't work on all locations as another spare popped out. Six inch nail should do the trick this time.
Plan the route of your igging wire before you install it so that after you have carefully glues it in place you then don't find that it has crossed another line and need cutting out and starting again.

Rigging is nearly complete.
1553420795720.png

A little bit of detail.
1553420850898.png

The tubes are 0.5mm, the line is supposed to be 0.3mm but has been stretched and the loops are copper wire from an earphone cable and have been made on a 0.3mm drill bit. The white spots may be dust and it was taken on my phone o_O and resize on paint. The ends need to be tidied up with care. One of the qualities with EZ line is its elasticity and if you can get an end a pull it it stretches and when cut springs back inside the tube.

1553421345543.png

Only two weeks of the voice left but Victoria stats tonight. I need a couple of good rom coms to pop up on Netflix that she hasn't seen if any one can give some pointers.

Last night I learnt some things.

A very small section of the sticky part of a post-it-note is very good for holding small items (this has been quite a revelation and very useful as you can transport small item to location without them falling).
Holding items that are smaller than the ends of the tweezers, tightly, can cause the item to spring off into that magical kingdom of never seen again.
Using your mouth as a third pair of hands when supergluing will always end in tears (again).
This new (new to me) technique of wicking glue into the seems doesn't work on all locations as another spare popped out. Six inch nail should do the trick this time.
Plan the route of your igging wire before you install it so that after you have carefully glues it in place you then don't find that it has crossed another line and need cutting out and starting again.

Rigging is nearly complete.
View attachment 384229

A little bit of detail.
View attachment 384230
The tubes are 0.5mm, the line is supposed to be 0.3mm but has been stretched and the loops are copper wire from an earphone cable and have been made on a 0.3mm drill bit. The white spots may be dust and it was taken on my phone o_O and resize on paint. The ends need to be tidied up with care. One of the qualities with EZ line is its elasticity and if you can get an end a pull it it stretches and when cut springs back inside the tube.

View attachment 384231

Only two weeks of the voice left but Victoria stats tonight. I need a couple of good rom coms to pop up on Netflix that she hasn't seen if any one can give some pointers.
Daft question, but would plastic tube be a better choice rather than the brass tube?

Daft question, but would plastic tube be a better choice rather than the brass tube?
The short answer is I don't know. Could you get it small enough, not sure and it may get crashed as you hold it in your tweezers. all the more competent models seem to use brass so it may be the case that they tried other things and return to brass.

The short answer is I don't know. Could you get it small enough, not sure and it may get crashed as you hold it in your tweezers. all the more competent models seem to use brass so it may be the case that they tried other things and return to brass.
Well, I for one can crush brass just as easily as I can crush plastic :) I do think you might be right about the size issue after hunting around fleabay

Well, I for one can crush brass just as easily as I can crush plastic :) I do think you might be right about the size issue after hunting around fleabay
It is a fine line between picking it up in tweezers and then it drops because you have not grabbed hard enough to too tight and it pings across the room never to be seen again. Yesterday afternoon I was holding a tube and it fell, then I picked up another which also fell but this time into my hand. When I looked down to collect it I found the first one stuck between my fingers. Now i cut them, drop them onto post-it-notes and then use a very small bit of the glue area to move them to the work location (6 inches).

I don't think they are hollow. Cast your mind back to ops room map boards a china graf pens lighting up.

Never ever went anywhere near the Ops room. Far to low down the food chain. When I served Fibre optics.... Never saw one.
I honestly thought they were hollow.
Not if the lamps are anything to go by ... guaranteed to break off and jab into any exposed skin

s-l1600.jpg

It is a fine line between picking it up in tweezers and then it drops because you have not grabbed hard enough to too tight and it pings across the room never to be seen again. Yesterday afternoon I was holding a tube and it fell, then I picked up another which also fell but this time into my hand. When I looked down to collect it I found the first one stuck between my fingers. Now i cut them, drop them onto post-it-notes and then use a very small bit of the glue area to move them to the work location (6 inches).
I normally lose them while cutting :(

How about micro wire then? You know the really thin stuff you get in modern electronics. You must be able to get the wire out.
The same sort of problem with getting it to lie flat and not kinking

Quick update on the MkV
Finally decided to get my arrse in gear and get it sort of finished though looking closer at some of these i keep spotting bits i have missed. Not really saying it's done, more like drop zero awaiting the next software uplift.
Excuse the missing Hotchkiss but some the figures being worked on were holding them :-D
20190406_161658.jpg
20190406_161707.jpg
20190406_161714.jpg
20190406_161722.jpg
20190406_161729.jpg
20190406_161733.jpg
20190406_161738.jpg
20190406_161748.jpg
20190406_161802.jpg
20190406_161756.jpg
20190406_161750.jpg

Latest Threads