WWI Group build

offog

LE
Nice work, do you know, I've spent years trying to perfect peeling paint as a weathering effect, and you've achieved it there perfectly, by accident.
I do charge for technical assistance. I will expect you to show 2 poppies next November.

Just been trying to rub down some mould lines and it just peels off. We will see how it reacts after it has been primed with car primer.

daz

LE
I do charge for technical assistance. I will expect you to show 2 poppies next November.

Just been trying to rub down some mould lines and it just peels off. We will see how it reacts after it has been primed with car primer.

So do I... would you like the rather large bill now or later??*

*Everyone else, yours are in the post :)

offog

LE
Send it to my estate they can sort it out when I am gone.:razz:

offog

LE
The DH2 has now been finished and mounted.

1550391052030.png

1550391100713.png

As a first attempt it is OK and many lessons learnt. As you can see the rigging has caused the tail to bend in places. this may in part be due to the overtightning of the rigging or atmosferice conditions or the type of line I was using (0.25 fishing line).

The undercarriage remained fragile and again came unstuck when fitting this to the base. I will have to read through the vast volumes on model books to discover how the professionals nail the aircraft to the base. I have used wire loops and fishing line which I have managed not to include in these photos.

As for the SE5a it has been re-undercoated and is now had its first coat of green and sand. I now have to learn better marsking skills.

I have had a tidy up and managed to lose the wheels. I spent an hour looking for them and not looking for them hoping they would show. At 23.15 as I was turning off the light to go down, there they were. I had put them on cocktail sticks ready for pointing and stuck them on plstercine on the side of a shelf.

The word muppet came to mind.

I have had a tidy up and managed to lose the wheels. I spent an hour looking for them and not looking for them hoping they would show. At 23.15 as I was turning off the light to go down, there they were. I had put them on cocktail sticks ready for pointing and stuck them on plstercine on the side of a shelf.

A 'senior moment'; they're coming to us all, and all the more frequently.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The DH2 has now been finished and mounted.

View attachment 378117

View attachment 378118

As a first attempt it is OK and many lessons learnt. As you can see the rigging has caused the tail to bend in places. this may in part be due to the overtightning of the rigging or atmosferice conditions or the type of line I was using (0.25 fishing line).

The undercarriage remained fragile and again came unstuck when fitting this to the base. I will have to read through the vast volumes on model books to discover how the professionals nail the aircraft to the base. I have used wire loops and fishing line which I have managed not to include in these photos.

As for the SE5a it has been re-undercoated and is now had its first coat of green and sand. I now have to learn better marsking skills.

Looks well mate

offog

LE
The fight continues.

Gaps have been filled and another coat of black undercoat put on. HD photos and digital zoom show up all the fails that he eye does not pick up at the time.

Colours have been selected and it has occured to me having seen lots of moderen photos (thanks @daz and @Halftrack )that the actual colour and layout can differ quite a lot. It would seem to be best guess what was correct for the time.

1550507490594.png

I think it would be fair to say that my marsking skills fall short of what is required. I am thinking of giving this a was of clear (I had to find an buy a bottle as I never needed to use it before) and brown to bring out the ridges of the frames. The yellow looks a lot more yellow than in real light.

1550507718890.png

Thanks to Daz and Halftrack's photos I now find that although I knew there were two rigging wires on the bottom I also need two on the top. One is in place and the other come out from the hinge which will need to be drilled to fit the loop.

1550507926921.png

Not sure if the white flecks are dust or light reflecting off uneven surface. I did manage to not get any paint in the cockpit.

Next task are the struts and touch up any over spray areas.

offog

LE
Waiting for paint to dry on SE5s so I thought I would look at the engine on the Roland Cll that is next on the list. The plastic on the Roland (also a rehash of the Eduard one by Revell) is much harder but the fit is not as good as the SE5.

Spent much of last evening looking at the Daimler-Mercedes Dll and youtube film of others upgrading the engine in 1/32 and started to have a go this morning. Removing the spark plugs which were fart too low down and the piston valves. Drilled new holes and put my first new valve in with spring!

Yesterday off to any who can see the new spring.

1551006915040.png

It now looks like I will also have to make a new rocker cover too.

It reminds me of the very old song,

daz

LE
Waiting for paint to dry on SE5s so I thought I would look at the engine on the Roland Cll that is next on the list. The plastic on the Roland (also a rehash of the Eduard one by Revell) is much harder but the fit is not as good as the SE5.

Spent much of last evening looking at the Daimler-Mercedes Dll and youtube film of others upgrading the engine in 1/32 and started to have a go this morning. Removing the spark plugs which were fart too low down and the piston valves. Drilled new holes and put my first new valve in with spring!

Yesterday off to any who can see the new spring.

View attachment 379464
It now looks like I will also have to make a new rocker cover too.

It reminds me of the very old song,

Sometimes its just easier to buy the replacement engine*

*Ok, that's a bit rich coming from me :)

offog

LE
Sometimes its just easier to buy the replacement engine*

*Ok, that's a bit rich coming from me :)
I did that for my VW kit car, it was a good idea at the time.

Well a good mornings work once the system was sorted out.
1551015632780.png

For some reason the CA I buy is rubbish. Got a new tube yesterday of Loctite and it's more like jelly and blobs. Clean up and lunch now.

daz

LE
I did that for my VW kit car, it was a good idea at the time.

Well a good mornings work once the system was sorted out.
View attachment 379488
For some reason the CA I buy is rubbish. Got a new tube yesterday of Loctite and it's more like jelly and blobs. Clean up and lunch now.
Try getting some from Magnet trade - I forget the name, but it comes with a large can of setter.

Nice work on it BTW

offog

LE
The time wasting continues.

The Daimler-mercedes Dll is progressing nicely. Tapit springs have been added to all the cylinders and spark plugs fitted. HT leads were triky and needed a day for the glue to set otherwise as they were bent they came away at the other end.
1551428100536.png

Once painted a lot of the faults are hidden at 1/48th. The HT leads need to be attached to the distributor. The brass tube is only there to keep them together as they are glued to the conduit. The long pipe is the fuel line I think which has been added.

1551428361177.png

As an exercise in small work it has been great. I am reasonably happy in how it is turning out even if it will never be seen once the Roland Cll is built. It has greatly increased my confidence in my ability to adapt what came out of the box and not be overly concerned in cutting off bits of the original model.

@daz I got a set of head magnifiers (cheap ones) and have yet to come to a conclusion. They do make work easier and blowing away dust is better when there is no object between you and the item. Focusing can be difficult particularly with varifocals on and depth perception can sometimes be a problem. Getting them comfortable on my head can be a problem too, I may have to look at the baseball hat on the wrong way which at my age may be a step too far.

The SE5a has not been forgotten and my desarterouse wash coat has been painted over. Work on the underside of wings will start today with another coat of paint to cover over my rubbish marsking work.

Read an artical on the last year of the Airwar in the Palestine, the Germans were using Paltz lll and Albatross V's. The Brits along with Aussie AF were towards the summer starting to be equipped with SE5a's and Bristol Fighter's. In the land war, Mkl and lV Tanks were being issued.
The question that I'm asking, does anyone know were these vehicals given a desert paint job, or as I suspect left the same green as the Western Front.?

Here's a useful bit of research for some folk ie @offog, I really like what your doing with that Mercedes Dlll. If you Google The Vintage Aviator, go to their home page. This company are the biggest constructing and Restoring WW1 Aircraft. They also restore and reverse engineer original engines. Mercedes Dlll, Bentley Rotories, French Le Rhone's.
Go on their Web homepage, look down the left hand side and checkout the builds.

offog

LE
Not a good night for two reasons. Dancing on ice will be ending soon so that's two hours lost in the future but on the plus side she has got into Traitor. The second reason was that the wings on the SE5 would not go together. When you had one side in the other side popped out. it seemed that the centre struts were angeled in too much and so were too high. After a number of attempts at this point I carmly put it to one side and found other things to do. It may be sitting to one side for a time, we will see.

The EZline had its first outing and the qualities were interesting (@Sadurian). It is very much like cotton in its rigidity and it was difficult, not hard but difficult to push through small holes. It is very elastic and can be pulled very tight with little force. It did not react well to CA but this may have been because I put too much on. It is different to fishing line which has more rigidity but less bend which can be a problem.

@robinrocket111 I had seen that in my search for info and I also came across two youtube videos of the builds which were very good and looked much better than mine but they were at 1/35 (any excuse is a good excuse). I also saw some reference pictures which I initially thought was a real engine but now think it was a model. As to the engine, The first idea of using fishing line for the HT leads did not last long as the bend was too much and they broke away from the mounting point. They will be replaced with EZline which is much more flexible.

Daimler-Mercedes D.III

It seems the Dlll had a long life and was used in many different vehicles with latter ones being bolted together to form 12 cylinder engines.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Like the proverbial Phoenix rising from the ashes, the Holt Gun Tractor is re born. Much filler and sanding has hidden the canine attack marks and a complete scratch build of the front steering has resulted in something that vaguely resembles the finished article. Model was finished in Tamiya Khaki with Vallejo paints used for detailing and highlighting.
IMG_20190303_155615.jpg

IMG_20190303_160008.jpg

IMG_20190303_155537.jpg

IMG_20190303_155310.jpg

IMG_20190303_155234.jpg

Mud effects were made by adding talc to a brown wash until fairly stiff and applied with a dental tool. Rust streaks were applied using Vallejo weathering set. Quite pleased with it though. Over to the rest of you.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I also meant to say, the Holt will be fixed to a baseboard with suitable flora as soon as possible with another model and a figure or two.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
The EZline had its first outing and the qualities were interesting (@Sadurian). It is very much like cotton in its rigidity and it was difficult, not hard but difficult to push through small holes. It is very elastic and can be pulled very tight with little force. It did not react well to CA but this may have been because I put too much on. It is different to fishing line which has more rigidity but less bend which can be a problem.
Thanks for that, it looks like something to try for my civilian Vimy. I suppose only time will tell whether or not it suffers from age-induce sag as all my cotton-rigged Airfix biplanes seemed to..

Latest Threads