WWI Group build

Nice work, do you know, I've spent years trying to perfect peeling paint as a weathering effect, and you've achieved it there perfectly, by accident.
I do charge for technical assistance. I will expect you to show 2 poppies next November.

Just been trying to rub down some mould lines and it just peels off. We will see how it reacts after it has been primed with car primer.
 
I do charge for technical assistance. I will expect you to show 2 poppies next November.

Just been trying to rub down some mould lines and it just peels off. We will see how it reacts after it has been primed with car primer.

So do I... would you like the rather large bill now or later??*


*Everyone else, yours are in the post :)
 
The DH2 has now been finished and mounted.

1550391052030.png


1550391100713.png


As a first attempt it is OK and many lessons learnt. As you can see the rigging has caused the tail to bend in places. this may in part be due to the overtightning of the rigging or atmosferice conditions or the type of line I was using (0.25 fishing line).

The undercarriage remained fragile and again came unstuck when fitting this to the base. I will have to read through the vast volumes on model books to discover how the professionals nail the aircraft to the base. I have used wire loops and fishing line which I have managed not to include in these photos.

As for the SE5a it has been re-undercoated and is now had its first coat of green and sand. I now have to learn better marsking skills.

I have had a tidy up and managed to lose the wheels. I spent an hour looking for them and not looking for them hoping they would show. At 23.15 as I was turning off the light to go down, there they were. I had put them on cocktail sticks ready for pointing and stuck them on plstercine on the side of a shelf.

The word muppet came to mind.
 
I have had a tidy up and managed to lose the wheels. I spent an hour looking for them and not looking for them hoping they would show. At 23.15 as I was turning off the light to go down, there they were. I had put them on cocktail sticks ready for pointing and stuck them on plstercine on the side of a shelf.

The word muppet came to mind.
A 'senior moment'; they're coming to us all, and all the more frequently.
 

Helm

MIA
Moderator
Book Reviewer
The DH2 has now been finished and mounted.

View attachment 378117

View attachment 378118

As a first attempt it is OK and many lessons learnt. As you can see the rigging has caused the tail to bend in places. this may in part be due to the overtightning of the rigging or atmosferice conditions or the type of line I was using (0.25 fishing line).

The undercarriage remained fragile and again came unstuck when fitting this to the base. I will have to read through the vast volumes on model books to discover how the professionals nail the aircraft to the base. I have used wire loops and fishing line which I have managed not to include in these photos.

As for the SE5a it has been re-undercoated and is now had its first coat of green and sand. I now have to learn better marsking skills.

I have had a tidy up and managed to lose the wheels. I spent an hour looking for them and not looking for them hoping they would show. At 23.15 as I was turning off the light to go down, there they were. I had put them on cocktail sticks ready for pointing and stuck them on plstercine on the side of a shelf.

The word muppet came to mind.
Looks well mate
 
The fight continues.

Gaps have been filled and another coat of black undercoat put on. HD photos and digital zoom show up all the fails that he eye does not pick up at the time.

Colours have been selected and it has occured to me having seen lots of moderen photos (thanks @daz and @Halftrack )that the actual colour and layout can differ quite a lot. It would seem to be best guess what was correct for the time.

1550507490594.png


I think it would be fair to say that my marsking skills fall short of what is required. I am thinking of giving this a was of clear (I had to find an buy a bottle as I never needed to use it before) and brown to bring out the ridges of the frames. The yellow looks a lot more yellow than in real light.

1550507718890.png


Thanks to Daz and Halftrack's photos I now find that although I knew there were two rigging wires on the bottom I also need two on the top. One is in place and the other come out from the hinge which will need to be drilled to fit the loop.

1550507926921.png


Not sure if the white flecks are dust or light reflecting off uneven surface. I did manage to not get any paint in the cockpit.

Next task are the struts and touch up any over spray areas.
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top