WWI Group build

Today the very nice post lady dropped off a small box from MSS. Like a 5 year old on christmas morning opening a present from Granny I hacked into the box tipping the contents out onto the table for inspection. Some packaging, an invoice with lots of info about exhibitions a vast tub of body filler (40ml) and finally the main attractions £5.80 worth of EZ line in French blue (colour recommended for rigging). The disappointment was total. Granny had not got me the present that every 5 year old this christmas wanted, she got me socks and grots.

I expected;

1549294485031.png

I got;

1549294529995.png

Oh well at least I now know who stocks it in the UK.

Onto the build.

I have removed the support rigging on the side of the cockpit and touched up the paint work so it is now ready to go into the body.

1549294835874.png

The Very pistol and spar lewis mag came loose and by the time I noticed it was difficult to get them back in.
Now the body.
1549295019394.png

Looks like it has gone well and a tial with the cockpit cover and front cowling has shown that most of what you can now see is hidden. Some place around the fuel tank is a small tap which I didn't bother to put on as it was so small. I can now see that if I had it would not have seen the light of day till the model wa a twisted lump on the floor with all its insides on show. Like the the rigging wire I removed it will never be seen unless there is a remake of honey I shrunk the kids. It may have over 140 parts but 90 of them will only be seen as you build it.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the information on the rigging line. I've just bought a Vickers Vimy Commercial (airliner version of the Vimy bomber) and intend to rig it. I wasn't sure what to use as my old attempts with cotton on my ancient Airfix biplanes never worked out well.

Today the very nice post lady dropped off a small box from MSS. Like a 5 year old on christmas morning opening a present from Granny I hacked into the box tipping the contents out onto the table for inspection. Some packaging, an invoice with lots of info about exhibitions a vast tub of body filler (40ml) and finally the main attractions £5.80 worth of EZ line in French blue (colour recommended for rigging). The disappointment was total. Granny had not got me the present that every 5 year old this christmas wanted, she got me socks and grots.

I expected;

View attachment 375913

I got;

View attachment 375914

Onto the build.

I have removed the support rigging on the side of the cockpit and touched up the paint work so it is now ready to go into the body.

View attachment 375915

The Very pistol and spar lewis mag came loose and by the time I noticed it was difficult to get them back in.
Now the body.
View attachment 375916
Looks like it has gone well and a tial with the cockpit cover and front cowling has shown that most of what you can now see is hidden. Some place around the fuel tank is a small tap which I didn't bother to put on as it was so small. I can now see that if I had it would not have seen the light of day till the model wa a twisted lump on the floor with all its insides on show. Like the the rigging wire I removed it will never be seen unless there is a remake of honey I shrunk the kids. It may have over 140 parts but 90 of them will only be seen as you build it.
Thats a piss takenly amount of thread ....lovely build BTW

I expected;

View attachment 375913

I got;

View attachment 375914

Onto the build.

View attachment 375915

Now the body.
View attachment 375916
They really are taking the piss with that! What did you get, about 5 foot? Hope it's enough to rig the beast, which is coming on nicely by the way. I'm almost tempted to try a wingy thing myself.

To be fair they have sent what I ordered which was 10m it's just that all the pictures suggested it would be bigger, and before we have any helpful comments of dark night and beer remember we are not in the NAAFI.

during my trip to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard today, noticed this item for sale at the antiques storehouse, looks authentic, but it's in a locked display case with loads of firearms so couldn't handle it.

during my trip to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard today, noticed this item for sale at the antiques storehouse, looks authentic, but it's in a locked display case with loads of firearms so couldn't handle it.
Fücking how much!!!??

Been working hard but not moving forward much.
Put the cockpit cover in place and found that it does not fit so have been filling down the instrument panel and the back of the seat. Due to this both have become loose and the lewis mag fell off. I have yet to fit the MG under it and that may require more cutting. The engine cowling too does not fit along with the radiator but as it is not due to be glued yet it too has had some surgery.

I have been looking at the next part which are the struts adn drilling holes in them for the wires.
1549496844209.png

Very slowly drilling through a turn at a time with only light pressure. Eventually got through but it was at an angle and cut the side. Now experimenting with brass sheet to cover over and then drill.

Why is it that super glue does not stick to what you want but to you with no problem at all. I have managed to stick a cocktail stick to my lips and tweezers to my hand just by resting on them, but glue the rigging wire to the struts, no chance.

Why is it that super glue does not stick to what you want but to you with no problem at all. I have managed to stick a cocktail stick to my lips and tweezers to my hand just by resting on them, but glue the rigging wire to the struts, no chance.
Shouldn't laugh but sorry.... :rofl:

Been working hard but not moving forward much.
Put the cockpit cover in place and found that it does not fit so have been filling down the instrument panel and the back of the seat. Due to this both have become loose and the lewis mag fell off. I have yet to fit the MG under it and that may require more cutting. The engine cowling too does not fit along with the radiator but as it is not due to be glued yet it too has had some surgery.

I have been looking at the next part which are the struts adn drilling holes in them for the wires.
View attachment 376422

Very slowly drilling through a turn at a time with only light pressure. Eventually got through but it was at an angle and cut the side. Now experimenting with brass sheet to cover over and then drill.

We feel your pain Brother..... but saying that, after reading your illuminating article, I was left with this image in my mind

download.jpg

Ps, drill a smaller pilot hole first, that can help

There is smaller out there :)
Just checked the bit and it was 0.5 not 0.3. Have now on order 0.1 and up which should be arriving tomorrow ready for the evening rush. Roll on skating on ice.

A long and productive evenings work.

1549794265021.png

It wasn't till I got close that I saw that the rigging points had been marked and counter sunk. White and black arrow. This made it easier to find the right location and guid the drill, although these 4 seam to be wrong. The connecting loops have been made and stuck into the hols. This one (blue) has 3 rigging lines comming from it. Another 4 lines are attached to the undercarriage leg which is located in that empty square hole just off centre. Following my experience with the DH2 the undercarriage will be one of the last things to go on.

1549794705319.png

Undercoat peeling back from the cockpit cover. This has happened in several places when I have rubbed down the body work. It took a lot of work to get the cover to fit as the instrument panel, seat back and MG housing all were too big. Once all the items that can be are attached and the areas of peeling pint have been sorted it will get a new undercoat of car primer.

As @robinrocekt111 says every ex tankie would love one and I am fortunate to have one as shown in my avatar.

Purchased some 20 years ago for substantially less than that one shown, but not far off the price they are going for these days through reputable auction houses/dealers. There are people faking them these days (not surprising given what they are fetching) so take care if considering a purchase and check its provenance.

A long and productive evenings work.

View attachment 377078

It wasn't till I got close that I saw that the rigging points had been marked and counter sunk. White and black arrow. This made it easier to find the right location and guid the drill, although these 4 seam to be wrong. The connecting loops have been made and stuck into the hols. This one (blue) has 3 rigging lines comming from it. Another 4 lines are attached to the undercarriage leg which is located in that empty square hole just off centre. Following my experience with the DH2 the undercarriage will be one of the last things to go on.

View attachment 377079

Undercoat peeling back from the cockpit cover. This has happened in several places when I have rubbed down the body work. It took a lot of work to get the cover to fit as the instrument panel, seat back and MG housing all were too big. Once all the items that can be are attached and the areas of peeling pint have been sorted it will get a new undercoat of car primer.
Nice work, do you know, I've spent years trying to perfect peeling paint as a weathering effect, and you've achieved it there perfectly, by accident.