WWI Group build

Christ I keep forgetting it's a bubby one. I'll have a think and ask T'wife, jewelry is normally a good source. I've used that sort of chain on a 72 scale Sherman many years ago and it didn't look quite right. But in the early 80s most modelers weren't that pedantic.
Could try one of the little chains found on the catch of a bracelet or similar. She might not even notice it's missing and think it caught on something and fell off.

Mud.... Humbrol tins if you didn't seal 'em properly they'd go off. Dad if he wanted a lot, would buy a tin and leave the lid off in the sun in his workshop. Once it'd nearly gone off, in that creamy paste state, dig it out. Very fine and smooth.

Could try one of the little chains found on the catch of a bracelet or similar. She might not even notice it's missing and think it caught on something and fell off.
I like that idea, but I'm happily divorced so there ain't any buckshee jewellery lying around! :-D

Ah, that knackers that idea. You might want to try this lot.

Chain

Or google "Aeronaut brass chain". Failing that take up an interest in women at the pound shop or equivalent.
:)

Diorama idea

data2101.jpg

As this is for WW1 I will move the SE5a over particularly as it is in the early stages.

Revell plans look very nice, are in colour and can be difficult to follow at times. Some items would be easier to put in place out of order as they make it difficult to insert other items.

Some transfers have to be put on early. These from Revell have an excess around the edges which makes it difficult to get them flat. I have used decal softener with little result. They are very detailed (which I couldn't see until I saw the photos) but the excess now stands out.

1548835281295.png

The cockpit is comming on but looks a bit crooked. This is due to one of the cross bars being out of place. It has not been fixed in place yet. The control wire needs to be connected at both end which will tidy up the look, I hope. Super glue is only contact adhesive when it is on your finders/skin, fishing line can take some time to fix inplace and there is no guarantee it will be stuck down.

1548835939485.png

I have been using acrylics for many years now but I think I need to go back to enamels. They are not adhering to the plastic well and I have had the cross brassing pull off the paint and undercoat when tensioning the wire. As you can see coverage is poor. These are a mixture of Vallejo and games workshop paint, some of the GW are very old.

Things are not looking good for the future, the glums is comming to an end so unless they come up with another riveting series soon I will lose and hour on a Sunday:eek:.

As this is for WW1 I will move the SE5a over particularly as it is in the early stages.

Revell plans look very nice, are in colour and can be difficult to follow at times. Some items would be easier to put in place out of order as they make it difficult to insert other items.

Some transfers have to be put on early. These from Revell have an excess around the edges which makes it difficult to get them flat. I have used decal softener with little result. They are very detailed (which I couldn't see until I saw the photos) but the excess now stands out.

View attachment 374700

The cockpit is comming on but looks a bit crooked. This is due to one of the cross bars being out of place. It has not been fixed in place yet. The control wire needs to be connected at both end which will tidy up the look, I hope. Super glue is only contact adhesive when it is on your finders/skin, fishing line can take some time to fix inplace and there is no guarantee it will be stuck down.

View attachment 374701

I have been using acrylics for many years now but I think I need to go back to enamels. They are not adhering to the plastic well and I have had the cross brassing pull off the paint and undercoat when tensioning the wire. As you can see coverage is poor. These are a mixture of Vallejo and games workshop paint, some of the GW are very old.

Things are not looking good for the future, the glums is comming to an end so unless they come up with another riveting series soon I will lose and hour on a Sunday:eek:.
The decals can be a pain, especially if they come as a block - there is third party dials out there which do lie a bit better.

I think its coming along a treat myself

In hindsight (I had to hand my last sight back in when I left as it was on my 1157. My crystal ball was BLR from the beginning and never replaced as I was told it was obsolete at the time and a new computer generated version was on its way and would be issued when the time was right.) I should have rubbed down the molded dials to get a flat surface to work on.

Two things from last night that I noticed, 1. to fly the Revell SE5a the driver needs to have very long legs. At first I thought I had put it together wrong and carefully when over the plans, but no, it's all in the right place just that the stick is very close to the seat and the rudder pedals are very far away. 2. the careful attachment of the decal to the instamment panel was a waste of time as the compass housing was too big for the gap in the panel and needed to be filed down cutting the edges of the decal dials.
1548927866158.png

The out of place strut has been moved and the cockpit has been squared up. It all needs a new coat of paint before it is ready for the fuselage.

@Sadurian Thanks , I have seen that one and have looked at many others which have helped with the location of the control wires. I am happy with the location of the items it's just that the rudder pedals seem a long way from the seat.

Cockpit is nearly done and a trial fitting into the fuselage was attempted with unfortunate results. It would seem that the cockpit is larger than the space in the fuselage and as a result something had to give. With a draw dropping bang which could be heard across the road the fuselage split (I may be exaggerating that, but only a little). The upshot is that the cockpit is larger than the fuselage. All those bracing wires need to come out and the sides carefully rubbed down. As you can see from sadurian's photo above they are crossing and supporting the frame.

1549020181087.png

Even with a clamp on it still doesn't join!

1549020252782.png

As confucius said about the parrot with no beak "you will suck seed".

I know it's 100 years ago, but whenever I see a picture like that I can't help thinking, hope the Fella makes it.
@Sadurian Thanks , I have seen that one and have looked at many others which have helped with the location of the control wires. I am happy with the location of the items it's just that the rudder pedals seem a long way from the seat.

Cockpit is nearly done and a trial fitting into the fuselage was attempted with unfortunate results. It would seem that the cockpit is larger than the space in the fuselage and as a result something had to give. With a draw dropping bang which could be heard across the road the fuselage split (I may be exaggerating that, but only a little). The upshot is that the cockpit is larger than the fuselage. All those bracing wires need to come out and the sides carefully rubbed down. As you can see from sadurian's photo above they are crossing and supporting the frame.

View attachment 375225

Even with a clamp on it still doesn't join!

View attachment 375227

As confucius said about the parrot with no beak "you will suck seed".
you did well not sending it on an early short flight, it's not beyond correction by what I hear you say.

I know it's 100 years ago, but whenever I see a picture like that I can't help thinking, hope the Fella makes it.

you did well not sending it on an early short flight, it's not beyond correction by what I hear you say.
I learnt patience building the DH2 which as you say is fortunat for the SE5a. This is all building up to the 1/35th DH2.

Put and order in for some filler and the EZ line in French blue @£5.80 which is a lot cheaper then what I have seen before. I have heard that if you are doing a Revell kit you get a discount on filler and it is delivered by the truck load.

I learnt patience building the DH2 which as you say is fortunat for the SE5a. This is all building up to the 1/35th DH2.

Put and order in for some filler and the EZ line in French blue @£5.80 which is a lot cheaper then what I have seen before. I have heard that if you are doing a Revell kit you get a discount on filler and it is delivered by the truck load.
We feel you pain Brother

Ps, it's cheaper by the mixer load :)

Five quid at Accessorize got me a really nasty necklace, but with some really decent fine chain. The unditching beam is made from a catering match and foil from a wine bottle. The folded tarp is also foil. Need to sort out the base now.

_20190201_233100.JPG

_20190201_233443.JPG

Something for the plane buffs - test of the synchronizer
test.jpg