WWI Group build

excellent Helm, look forward to that one. my first ww1 project will be this diorama.

I'm using the tank as a backdrop for the figures

And I'll be starting off with this chap:
TW54029_4.jpg

If I've got time I may throw in a wee tank as well. Nice to see so many figures in the offing!

I learnt at the weekend that we didn't just have male and female tanks but a tranny version as well. Well not exactly, they were known as hermaphrodites. Female on one side and male on the other. Who would have thought it.

I learnt at the weekend that we didn't just have male and female tanks but a tranny version as well. Well not exactly, they were known as hermaphrodites. Female on one side and male on the other. Who would have thought it.
crazy if the machine gun target was on the wrong side of the tank, that one above, in the background of my figure box top artwork, has both a arty gun and mg in the same sponson, a later mk5 I think, a far better spread of capability .

So I've got one of these

IMG_8699.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

30 quid from WaltBay. Im not convinced about Meg given the problems @PFGEN has had with them in the past. No interior on this one also. Its pretty basic, but will do the job.

Also ordered one of these

Screenshot 2018-10-23 at 20.06.54.jpg

nice contrast withe the old and the new

I'd love to join youse & i am off to Telford with an eye on the Mitches fig in the OP or the new WW1 Canadian inf fig they've just released. However I am on ROPs with regard to purchasing new projects to make & paint courtesy of OC Home Forces. She has comms with my two oppos I go with & they are backing her up as i have 4 figs on the go at the mo & having buggered up the face on one I'm starting that bit again putting me back a few weeks.

So, my part in this may revert to actually getting off my arse with the ongoing stuff & getting my T E Lawro bust painted. He's undercoated & has been for nearly 12 months - i'm just a bit slow......on many fronts apparently.

I'd love to join youse & i am off to Telford with an eye on the Mitches fig in the OP or the new WW1 Canadian inf fig they've just released. However I am on ROPs with regard to purchasing new projects to make & paint courtesy of OC Home Forces. She has comms with my two oppos I go with & they are backing her up as i have 4 figs on the go at the mo & having buggered up the face on one I'm starting that bit again putting me back a few weeks.

So, my part in this may revert to actually getting off my arse with the ongoing stuff & getting my T E Lawro bust painted. He's undercoated & has been for nearly 12 months - i'm just a bit slow......on many fronts apparently.
Large jacket with sufficient pockets. At an opportune moment, "Sorry lads need to go for a single, back in a minute." Job jobbed. By the way what sort of oppos do you have who are going to rat you out to the CO? I'd maybe be a tad curious as to what she has on them causing them to potentially dob you in it when called in for the post show interview.

Just the sort of oppos who love to take the piss & drop each other in it. Squaddies obv!!
So while they wander about filling their bags up with stuff they'll be wafting stuff under my nose saying, 'oooh you can't buy that!!'

Shitbags.

my second project in the ww1 build is the post war archaeological dig model, with a German Soldier being painstakingly uncovered before being repatriated as one of the unknown. Slightly melancholy, rather than the humour I brought to the other skeleton model I did, with the little dog ect, I've got the unsurpassed Airfix Skeleton in 1/6

still unsurpassed in anatomical accuracy.
the German Helmet would have been another item to survive, this is a 1/6 scale one with a liner and chin strap, have to think about that one a bit.

and most melancholy of all, the items that all soldiers use, his mess kit, ordered this one, I'm slowly collecting bits and pieces together, so any input or further ideas from you all will be well considered.

this all reminds me of an ARRSE member we all lost this year

my second project in the ww1 build is the post war archaeological dig model, with a German Soldier being painstakingly uncovered before being repatriated as one of the unknown. Slightly melancholy, rather than the humour I brought to the other skeleton model I did, with the little dog ect, I've got the unsurpassed Airfix Skeleton in 1/6

still unsurpassed in anatomical accuracy.
the German Helmet would have been another item to survive, this is a 1/6 scale one with a liner and chin strap, have to think about that one a bit.

and most melancholy of all, the items that all soldiers use, his mess kit, ordered this one, I'm slowly collecting bits and pieces together, so any input or further ideas from you all will be well considered.

this all reminds me of an ARRSE member we all lost this year
RIP David Coates. A great shame.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Got an idea of a diorama using the Holt Gun Tractor and a 1913 Douglas Model R motorcycle just purchased from Scale link.
SMEBVK02.gif
Douglas_motorcycle_c1913.jpg
download.jpeg

some e bay sellers are quite good, I only ordered this mess kit yesterday and it arrived in this morning's post. Now, weapon, boots and belt and anything else that would survive buried in the ground for 100 years.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So I've got one of these

View attachment 358700

View attachment 358701
View attachment 358702

30 quid from WaltBay. Im not convinced about Meg given the problems @PFGEN has had with them in the past. No interior on this one also. Its pretty basic, but will do the job.

Also ordered one of these

View attachment 358703

nice contrast withe the old and the new
I read somewhere that the early Tankies considered the female tank to be far more useful, as there were far more Machine gun targets to be supressed, the cannon armed tanks could hardly find a target. as a quirk of History, the MG armed tanks were a compromise as there weren't enough cannon of the right type to go around.

Some piccies for guidance

Hard to believe its 100 years ago

Screenshot 2018-10-26 at 22.02.01.png

Screenshot 2018-10-26 at 22.02.11.png

Screenshot 2018-10-26 at 22.02.24.png

Screenshot 2018-10-26 at 22.02.38.png

I think this thread deserves an 'excellent topic'