WWI German tunnel found.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I thinkithas been mentioned previously but money can always be found for all manner of other things. The german government IMHO owe a duty to these men who their predecessors sent to war
to treat their remains with due respect.
In the UK and the English speaking World there are plenty of experts who would love to be involved in excavating the site. The French and Germans have a different attitude to us although my opinion is that the bodies should be identified and recovered with the artefacts being preserved. Just my own thoughts...

I thinkithas been mentioned previously but money can always be found for all manner of other things. The german government IMHO owe a duty to these men who their predecessors sent to war to treat their remains with due respect.
Certainly not disagreeing with you. Look at the kick off when we tried to air brush Pheasant Wood out of history. The wrath of the ANZACs was brutal, hence a new cemetery and a wonderful recovery project.
Now, Verdun is an archaeologists paradise, so much more to find and this tunnel is something I would love to dig on. Just one for the Defence rehabilitation group to spend years on!
Sadly the French lost Millions and the Germans - well they want to forget. This is very much in their face, they will have to do something.

I made the point earlier that the British have taken more care of their war dead. However, it has to be said that in one crucial way, the German side took more care of their living.

Once the stalemate on the front had become established, the Germans did a far better job of building, maintaining and reinforcing their lines than did the allies. It is the main reason why the massive artillery bombardments that preceded allied offensives were relatively ineffective.

I suppose that the best time to look after your men is while they are still alive.

I made the point earlier that the British have taken more care of their war dead. However, it has to be said that in one crucial way, the German side took more care of their living.

Once the stalemate on the front had become established, the Germans did a far better job of building, maintaining and reinforcing their lines than did the allies. It is the main reason why the massive artillery bombardments that preceded allied offensives were relatively ineffective.

I suppose that the best time to look after your men is while they are still alive.
It is often remarked upon how solid and well fitted out the German lines were in comparison with the Allies, the implication being that the French and British didn't have the concern for the wellbeing of their men or hadn't the wit to build decent defence works.

However, that was because all the Germans had to do for the most part was sit tight, they were the invaders after all, they had no need to keep attacking the Allies, they held the real estate that the French and British wanted them to vacate. All they had to do was dig deep and remain on the defensive.

The Western Front is often depicted as a series of offensives back and forth, but with the exception of Verdun and the March 1918 offensive, neither of which ended well for the Germans, it was actually largely a siege of German positions by the French and British and the latter hadn't got the luxury of digging big comfortable tunnels that they could sit in to ride out the war no matter how much the men at the sharp end might have preferred to do so.

Chef

LE

Fair point but doesn't take into account that all the Germans had to do was stay put. The allies were using their trenches as stepping off points to drive the Germans out of France.

As @Mike Barton has so eloquently stated.

All they had to do was dig deep and remain on the defensive.

Is it? An end to the stalemate that the Western Front campaign had become could not have been achieved by sitting passively. The Germans could only really bring an end to the war by taking Paris (or at least besieging it) and gaining the port of Antwerp, thereby forcing the allies to the peace table while they held the military, territorial and strategic advantage. Merely digging in would do nothing but prolong the stalemate.

The allies had four years to discover that the line was not moving at all, in spite of their highly wasteful efforts. Though the military position was a stalemate, as long as the Germans held all the territory they had gained in France and Belgium and were in striking distance of Paris and the ports, it was the allies who were on the defensive.

Is it? An end to the stalemate that the Western Front campaign had become could not have been achieved by sitting passively. The Germans could only really bring an end to the war by taking Paris (or at least besieging it) and gaining the port of Antwerp, thereby forcing the allies to the peace table while they held the military, territorial and strategic advantage. Merely digging in would do nothing but prolong the stalemate.

The allies had four years to discover that the line was not moving at all, in spite of their highly wasteful efforts. Though the military position was a stalemate, as long as the Germans held all the territory they had gained in France and Belgium and were in striking distance of Paris and the ports, it was the allies who were on the defensive.
Well, it's effectively what they did between September 1914 and March 1918 (with the exception of Verdun, which didn't turn out the way they expected), so I can only go on the historical record.

The soldiers deserve a proper burial.
Conscripts or volunteers, their government sent them to war and death. They should at least acknowledge their sacrifice and treat their remains decently.

Latest Threads