Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI German and British uniforms

dlrg

LE
@JackSofty

The only things that I can find (so far):

Kockarden.jpg

ebay.de
TSCHAKOROSE MÜTZEN KOKARDE K.K.MONARCHIE OFFIZIER

Kockarden2.jpg

Also here maybe!

Also by ebay.de - Österreich K.u.K. paar Militär FJ I Kokarden.Franz Joseph I.

I'll keep looking.

Last edited:
This from the early 1920s

Attachments

• boston fire brigade.jpg
    boston fire brigade.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 31
@JackSofty - @dlrg is on the right track. Search under all the foreign language terminology you can ascertain and the countries that these accoutrements originated.
To be fair, it works best when time isn't an issue but I've found certain items I was looking for by doing so and come across items similar to yours at sensible prices.

@JackSofty - @dlrg is on the right track. Search under all the foreign language terminology you can ascertain and the countries that these accoutrements originated.
To be fair, it works best when time isn't an issue but I've found certain items I was looking for by doing so and come across items similar to yours at sensible prices.

Seems like there is more out there than I have, in my feebleness, been able to find in a long time but now, with a bit more to investigate and your pointers, I may get there.
If not, I will have to make a former and see what I have in gold purl & spangles. I managed to take comparitive depth & height meaurements from the pictures
Many thanks for the info, the hunt is back on.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

dlrg

LE
Seems like there is more out there than I have, in my feebleness, been able to find in a long time but now, with a bit more to investigate and your pointers, I may get there.
If not, I will have to make a former and see what I have in gold purl & spangles. I managed to take comparitive depth & height meaurements from the pictures
Many thanks for the info, the hunt is back on.

Lest us know how you get on. In the meantime 'I'll keep me eye out' as the saying goes!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thinking about it now, but not being bothered to get out of my chair, I think it might be one of the MacAuslan books. Possibly the second volume when MacAuslan was sent for court martial and he was defending officer. I’m sure it was his counsel when describing the board described one member as being from “the chainy tenth”!
I’m away from my library but I’m certain it was in Flashman and the Redskins that he exclaimed “Chainy tenth!” to the long nosed Irish cad who was ploughing Flashy’s meal ticket on the sly whilst he was pretending to be the dead naval spy Beauchamp Comber, thereby bringing suspicion on himself.... much hilarity and debauchery ensued.

The various images upthread show men wearing riding breeches, not jodhpurs.

Breeches reach to just under the knee, and have a lace to tie them off, and then a long riding boot is worn.

Jodhpurs are full length, close fitting, and terminate at the ankle with a turn up.

I think I'll call this one in the bag now. If I do much more to it I'll end up destroying or washing out the detail in the original base image that gives the colour overlays their "life..."

View attachment 484794
This looks absolutely brilliant. Far better than I could have imagined.

Would you be able to email a copy? I'll give an extra fat donation to the poppy collector, unless you have another charity in mind?

Thanks again NSP.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Bearing in mind the current "lockdown", I was prompted to cobble together a vaguely passable replica of a Great War P or PH smoke hood in order to commemorate Remembrance Day and Armistice Day in "the spirit of the age".
Along with a period Rifleman's uniform (the belt and '02 patt. field service jacket are original, very little worn so I guess that its owner probably didn't come back from wherever and the trousers I modified from '40 patt. BD).
Measurements scaled up from an IWM photograph:

Cobbled together from a couple of yards of old, grey linen in four layers (I know that it should be wool flannel but beggars can't be choosers), 2 x 3" wide aluminium cans, a bottle top, a fruit juice bottle, some corrugated cardboard and a balloon, it turned out reasonably well.

Bearing in mind the current "lockdown", I was prompted to cobble together a vaguely passable replica of a Great War P or PH smoke hood in order to commemorate Remembrance Day and Armistice Day in "the spirit of the age".
Along with a period Rifleman's uniform (the belt and '02 patt. field service jacket are original, very little worn so I guess that its owner probably didn't come back from wherever and the trousers I modified from '40 patt. BD).

Cobbled together from a couple of yards of old, grey linen in four layers (I know that it should be wool flannel but beggars can't be choosers), 2 x 3" wide aluminium cans, a bottle top, a fruit juice bottle, some corrugated cardboard and a balloon, it turned out reasonably well.

That's your wife sorted. What are you going to wear?

Covid just got pervy. Nice job though.

Latest Threads