Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI German and British uniforms

Per the above I think the conclusion was that he was Middlesex Yeo.

It's not a Middlesex Yeomanry cap badge. I believe there's some affiliation with the dragoons somewhere along the way, so... ?

NSP

LE
It's not a Middlesex Yeomanry cap badge. I believe there's some affiliation with the dragoons somewhere along the way, so... ?
????

Also, the chap on the left (as you view the group): he's the black boots/scarlet tunic one, right?

Black trousers and cap...?

Does his capbadge have wings or is that a piece of backing material? Google Image on that type of cap suggests a lot of them were worn with a coloured backing piece behind the badge, depending on regiment.

Last edited:
The chap wearing the Broderick cap is wearing standard dress for an English line regiment: red tunic with white collar and cuff facings, very dark blue trousers and cap with a white flash (backing).

The other bloke I'm pretty sure is wearing a 3DG Field Service Cap. The Middlesex Yeomanry shared some dress distinctions with the dragoons, so maybe there's something to why he's wearing it? It's the best I can come up with.

oldnotbold

War Hero
The chap wearing the Broderick cap is wearing standard dress for an English line regiment: red tunic with white collar and cuff facings, very dark blue trousers and cap with a white flash (backing).

The other bloke I'm pretty sure is wearing a 3DG Field Service Cap. The Middlesex Yeomanry shared some dress distinctions with the dragoons, so maybe there's something to why he's wearing it? It's the best I can come up with.
I was going on the 11Bn IY. as per posts 43 and 45. I thought that the Middx Yeo were hussars rather than dragoons.

There could be any number of reasons why he's wearing that cap. Is the bloke in the picture the same bloke in the archives? Either way it's not a Middlesex Yeomanry cap badge. He's either Welsh yeomanry, 3DG or he's Middlesex and borrowed the lid for the photo. I've tried to narrow the unit down via possible clasp entitlement, but twenty plus clasps for the QSA makes this pretty fruitless.

There could be any number of reasons why he's wearing that cap. Is the bloke in the picture the same bloke in the archives? Either way it's not a Middlesex Yeomanry cap badge. He's either Welsh yeomanry, 3DG or he's Middlesex and borrowed the lid for the photo. I've tried to narrow the unit down via possible clasp entitlement, but twenty plus clasps for the QSA makes this pretty fruitless.

You might want to cast your eyes over the QSA Roll at #34 :rolleyes:

oldnotbold

War Hero
I agree that it's not a Middx Yeo star but was going on the name/medal roll and QSA combo for the affiliation. I too cannot explain the feathers. On a separate issue is the uniform he's wearing the darker European serge or lighter khaki drill? To me it looks like the latter.

You might want to cast your eyes over the QSA Roll at #34 :rolleyes:

Yeah, wish I'd spotted that now. I could've saved myself a whisky-soaked trawl through BB&M.

I agree that it's not a Middx Yeo star but was going on the name/medal roll and QSA combo for the affiliation. I too cannot explain the feathers. On a separate issue is the uniform he's wearing the darker European serge or lighter khaki drill? To me it looks like the latter.

It's KD - the stand collar is the giveaway.

dlrg

LE
Anyone...? The ringed thing: what's it called, so I can Google Image it? It doesn't look like a regular epaulette with dangly braid. I've seen similar on musicians and the like but can't remember what they are called. I've got a mental image of something in red and white candystripe...?

View attachment 473981

Just for Ribbon colour reference:

Queens South Africa Medal (with the 3 clasps mentioned in the Rolls as posted by @FourZeroCharlie above).

1589719561775.png

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Right, badges, buckles and cane tops next...

7.jpg

Cane top is brass, based on one sitting on a shelf in my old man's gaff...?

NSP

LE
The trousers appear to be lighter (and smoother) than the jacket/tunic.

Presumably, if he's mounted they are some sort of riding breeches/jodhpurs?

The trousers appear to be lighter (and smoother) than the jacket/tunic.

Presumably, if he's mounted they are some sort of riding breeches/jodhpurs?
NSP, that's fantastic work! Truly. Do you do a lot of this?

Sorry for being absent since starting this thread.

If you get to complete the photo is there a charity I can contribute to to say thank you? Or some beer money for yourself?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Chef

LE
The jodhpurs likely be like this, I imagine. View attachment 480911

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

When I was at the National Army Museum* we had a lot of reenactors and some of them who portrayed WWI cavalry were saying that the post WWII jodphurs were basically the same cut as the WWI items and visually indistinguishable.

*That's twice my time at the NAM has cropped up today. Spooky but 'You weren't there man!'.

NSP

LE
NSP, that's fantastic work! Truly. Do you do a lot of this?

If you get to complete the photo is there a charity I can contribute to to say thank you?
I doubt there's few of the ArRSerati who would ever object to some coin landing in the pocket of H4H or the RBL - although as it is only recently that the site lost a very well-regarded member far before her clock should have chimed its last I suspect many would feel that a donation to the RNLI would not be unseemly.

Now, if that's not an incentive to put the finishing touches in place then I can't think what is? I mean, who wants to take their first steps through Hades only to suddenly find their face sliced off, eh...?

NSP

LE
Nearly there...

IMG-20200508-WA0017_colourised.jpg

NSP

LE
I think I'll call this one in the bag now. If I do much more to it I'll end up destroying or washing out the detail in the original base image that gives the colour overlays their "life..."

IMG-20200508-WA0017_colourised.jpg

Apologies for the resurrection but my lack of skills failed to find a more appropriate thread.
I was wondering if anybody knows of any resource by which I may

obtain a cockade for an Austrian FJI WWI infantry officer shako?
I am in the process of conserving one such which belonged to the father of a late friend which, apart from his silk girdle and some awards are all that are left.
Shortly before her death, she was visited by some 'antique dealers' who cleaned her out of nearly everything of value for just a few hundred euros including his rather splendid uniform and other accoutrements.
I have tried hunting on t'internet for some time for an original or repro with nil success. Any leads would be most appreciated.

Oh bum, managed to place the image in the wrong spot.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Latest Threads