Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI German and British uniforms

Hello all.

I'm looking for some info on the uniforms in the photo below, to which there's a bit of a back story.

As you look at the photo, the guy front right is my paternal great-grandfather (Frederick Charles Auth), centre is my great-great-grandfather and front left is my great-uncle. They came as a family from Germany to Britain shortly before WWI for unknown reasons. The story is that at the outbreak of WWI my great-grandfather fought for the British cavalry and his brother fought for the German Navy. Family dinners must have been interesting.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the two uniforms in the photos? To me, my great-grandfather's cap badge looks like the Prince of Wales feathers.

IMG-20200508-WA0017.jpg

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Very interesting. I have similar family history. Great Great grandparents came to Britain in 1883 from Frankfurt. Their son (my great grandfather) served in the British Army, while his cousins served in the German Army.

I’m no expert but your great uncle’s uniform looks nothing like any German Navy uniform I’ve ever seen. The high collar is pointing me towards marines?

Or possibly some sort of merchant navy?

Your great uncle is wearing a Brodrick cap so the photo is from 1902 to 1907. The cuffs, collar and cap 'wings' will be all in white so look for that facing colour. The cap badge is unclear. Your grandfather is dressed as a cavalry private with shoulder chains, spurs and puttees wound down. But dressed in khaki he's probably a Yeoman, Cheshire and Wiltshire come to mind with the feathers. Other flavours may be available....

ETA 10th Hussars would be good!

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Your great-uncle's uniform looks more like the dunkelblau formal Rock worn by various German national contingents' grunts. Do you know whereabouts in Germany the family originated?

Very interesting. I have similar family history. Great Great grandparents came to Britain in 1883 from Frankfurt. Their son (my great grandfather) served in the British Army, while his cousins served in the German Army.

I’m no expert but your great uncle’s uniform looks nothing like any German Navy uniform I’ve ever seen. The high collar is pointing me towards marines?

Or possibly some sort of merchant navy?
Must have been a very interesting time. Thanks for the heads up on the uniform. I'll take a look.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Are you 100% sure the bloke on the left is the German Navy uncle?

I’m wondering if one of the other men at the back could be him.

The more I look at the guy on the left, the more I think that’s a British uniform.

For comparison:

Border Regiment, Lonsdale Battalion:

ECDAA073-CD21-4134-A484-7B32430BF9A1.png

Hello all.

I'm looking for some info on the uniforms in the photo below, to which there's a bit of a back story.

As you look at the photo, the guy front right is my paternal great-grandfather (Frederick Charles Auth), centre is my great-great-grandfather and front left is my great-uncle. They came as a family from Germany to Britain shortly before WWI for unknown reasons. The story is that at the outbreak of WWI my great-grandfather fought for the British cavalry and his brother fought for the German Navy. Family dinners must have been interesting.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the two uniforms in the photos? To me, my great-grandfather's cap badge looks like the Prince of Wales feathers.

View attachment 472052

Could be an interesting project for @NSP s colouring thread.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Are you 100% sure the bloke on the left is the German Navy uncle?

I’m wondering if one of the other men at the back could be him.

The more I look at the guy on the left, the more I think that’s a British uniform.

For comparison:

Border Regiment, Lonsdale Battalion:

View attachment 472068
You are bang on the money, there, shippers. I think you're absolutely right. That's a big Broderick cap your man's wearing and the badge looks - perhaps - a bit like a Maltese Cross. If they wore plain rather than peaked cuffs, perhaps the Wiltshire Regiment?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Can I say at this point, "Arrse at its best"?

They're both British uniforms. The donkey walloper is either 3DG or 10H. He's wearing what looks to be a two-clasp QSA. He could be one of the Welsh IY regiments, as the POW feathers badges were similar. The side cap should identify whether he's a dragoon or hussar. Unfortunately I've mislaid my copy of 1900 dress regs, so cannot really help.

The bloke wearing the Broderick cap I have no idea except his facing are white. I might be able to narrow it down. Wait out.

Your great uncle is wearing a Brodrick cap so the photo is from 1902 to 1907. The cuffs, collar and cap 'wings' will be all in white so look for that facing colour. The cap badge is unclear. Your grandfather is dressed as a cavalry private with shoulder chains, spurs and puttees wound down. But dressed in khaki he's probably a Yeoman, Cheshire and Wiltshire come to mind with the feathers. Other flavours may be available....

ETA 10th Hussars would be good!

It was an odd piece of headgear. Obviously not popular as it didn't last long in the British Army. I think it was copied from Imperial Russian or Prussia who wore something similar.

I'm almost certain that it was adopted much later by the Auxiliary or National Fire Service, but I am unable to find a single photograph in evidence of this.

ETA: As you were. Here's a couple of snaps taken in the late 30s. The scarcity of pictures might suggest that they were as popular with the AFS as they were with the army.

_72131056_2_18616888.jpg

gettyimages-1053619936-2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Hello all.

View attachment 472052

Seeing the chain mail epaulets I immediately thought “chainy tenth”, which for some reason I knew as the nickname for the 10th Hussars. I presume it’s something I’ve read in a George MacDonald Fraser book somewhere.

You are bang on the money, there, shippers. I think you're absolutely right. That's a big Broderick cap your man's wearing and the badge looks - perhaps - a bit like a Maltese Cross. If they wore plain rather than peaked cuffs, perhaps the Wiltshire Regiment?

I think you're Bob on with the Wiltshires. I can't think what else it could be. Either that or it's one of the VF battalions. I don't think they wore the short-lived Broderick though. The RM were still wearing them during the Great War, but they were not popular with the army.