Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWFE (Worst War Film Ever)

syrup

LE
To be honest, I thought Steve McQueen was a bit of a prima donna in this movie, considering this was based on a true story and 50 people died. Richard Attenborough said many years later working with Steve McQueen on this movie was one of the toughest challenges he had ever faced.
There's a documentary on Sky about McQueen and he was a proper prima donna in the film.
Decided his part wasn't big enough so walked off set until United Artists brought in a separate writer just to enhance his role.
Hence why attention is always drawn to him such as the baseball bouncing off the cooler wall with the thudding.

There's a documentary on Sky about McQueen and he was a proper prima donna in the film.
Decided his part wasn't big enough so walked off set until United Artists brought in a separate writer just to enhance his role.
Hence why attention is always drawn to him such as the baseball bouncing off the cooler wall with the thudding.
It worked though,the first person you think about when anybody mentions that film is Steve McQueen.

I've just finished watching 'The Cockleshell Heroes'. For some reason, I'd never seen it before. This will probably upset a few here but I'm afraid that I thought it was really quite poor. Nicely shot in technicolor (which was pretty unusual for a British film of 1955) with some nice locations, but as for the rest of it..... well, I think my old Commando Comics were more convincing.

It was like a wartime propaganda film shot ten years too late. I probably would have loved it when I was eight.

I've just finished watching 'The Cockleshell Heroes'. For some reason, I'd never seen it before. This will probably upset a few here but I'm afraid that I thought it was really quite poor. Nicely shot in technicolor (which was pretty unusual for a British film of 1955) with some nice locations, but as for the rest of it..... well, I think my old Commando Comics were more convincing.

It was like a wartime propaganda film shot ten years too late. I probably would have loved it when I was eight.
How much of the technology that existed, like Dambusters, couldn't they show?
Because it was still 'secret'?

exspy

LE

I think a lot of it's appeal comes from the fact that it's the only film about the Royal Marines ever made. Or so it seems to me.

Try the book,i never realised what they went through to achieve their mission. Very brave and very tough blokes.

I think a lot of it's appeal comes from the fact that it's the only film about the Royal Marines ever made. Or so it seems to me.

And not a LDB or kitten heels in sight, no wonder he thinks it wasn't convincing

It is very much of its time (and the way the UK film industry made films then), I fear.

Loosely based on the real Operation Frankton. Major Blondie Hasler hated the film according to his biography. I bought a VHS copy in the 90's for about a fiver as par avion junior liked it. Before the film starts Bill Sparks tells the real story of what happened.

It was filmed at RM Barracks Eastney, Southsea, and in Portugal. 1 Special Boat Section of the Special Boat Company RM and a WW2 era submarine filmed the launch from the submarine which I thought was epic and the disaster in the tidal waves which happened in the real operation.

Bill Sparks book about the raid is good.

515MHYJTS3L.jpg
91FuVNLd5rL.jpg

Same thing in The Magnificent Seven. Yul Brynner said EVERY scene with him you can see McQueen trying to steal the scene.

Age Of Heroes is on one of the Sony channels. Sean Bean must have been short of cash. Danny Dire is his usual self.
I'd vote that THE worst war film... ever. Utter bonk. Sahara (on Paramount last night) equally junk.

re Age Of Heroes: I'm guessing the further we get from the second world war the worse these films are gonna be . Which reminds me

Company Of Heroes

Nothing to do with the video game , it would have been an improvement if it had and in theory does have a relatively good cast but looks and feels like of these mockbusters from The Asylum or SyFy Channel . It starts off involving the Ardennes campaign and ends up with the good guys foiling the Nazi atomic bomb project. It's not a documentary

Latest Threads