WWFE (Worst War Film Ever)

Judging by recent productions all the English actors would be manning the German positions.
With some belting cheese to speak and either posh or Dick Van Dyke accents for other ranks

"I say Yank your way to brave for me and my men we surrender"
"Gor blimey Gov'nor you beat us ands down so you did luv a duck"
Thinking more of the Old Etonian leading the Band of Brothers but I know what you mean.

Donald Pleasance while filming the Great Escape pointed out to the directors a few inaccuracies with the camp.
The director reportedly blew his top and told him to wind his neck in and what did he know about film making.
Richard Attenbourgh pointed out that Donald Pleasance had been a gunner on a Lancaster and was shot down and ended up in a stalag.
Cue apology and new role as technical advisor.
From Donalds own words (I've got the "Return To The Great Escape"). He tried to make a few suggestions but the director "thought that all American POW's were incredible brave and wouldn't hesitate to say rude things to a German Soldier who was armed to the teeth. So I made a few suggestions and then shut up"

EDIT: Found it on Youtube

To be honest, I thought Steve McQueen was a bit of a prima donna in this movie, considering this was based on a true story and 50 people died. Richard Attenborough said many years later working with Steve McQueen on this movie was one of the toughest challenges he had ever faced.

Last edited:
My bold. I Haven't seen the latest midway film yet.
It's better than Pearl Harbour is all I can say.

The longest day 1962. Knowing what I know now, I would say that 95% of that film is accurate, discounting some overacting by some of the main stars. Small cameos, the beach masters dog, the Nazi officer with his boots on the wrong feet, the Para hung up on the church tower, and Pipe major Millin, coming ashore playing the pipes, all included, and I believe all true.
Bill Millin, the man who survived playing the bagpipes on the beach because the Germans thought he was a mad man and didn't bother shooting at him

Another one is Colin Mauds shillelagh. The one shown in the film is the one that the real Colin Maud took up the beach when he landed. He loaned it to the actor playing him.

My favourite story about that movie is Richard Todd, who was actually in the assault on Pegasus Bridge during WW2. In the movie, he briefly talks to someone called Richard, an actor who is playing Richard Todd. Richard Todd himself wore the same beret he wore when he was actually fighting that battle.

Last edited:
Judging by recent productions all the English actors would be manning the German positions.
With some belting cheese to speak and either posh or Dick Van Dyke accents for other ranks

"I say Yank your way to brave for me and my men we surrender"
"Gor blimey Gov'nor you beat us ands down so you did luv a duck"
Can it be any worse than American actors taking roles of beloved English characters (like Sherlock Holmes) as well as characters from other countries?

I'm still trying to figure out how John Malkovich got the role of Hercule Poirot

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just watched “Enemy Lines” on Netflix.

Not the worst war film ever, but certainly not a good one.

Small team of British commandos, randomly led by a yank marine major (played by a British actor) go to Poland, rescue a polish scientist from the Nazis so he can go and work on the Manhattan project.

Along the way they encounter every shit war film cliche along the way. One of them pulls a fit Polish partisan bird while she’s nursing his wound, before spinning her a gash dit about some traumatic shit he had to do earlier in the war.

The line “we lost a lot of good men over there” is actually used.

Some dodgy accents, very low budget battle scenes that wouldn‘t look out of place in a 1950s western and a few plot holes later, they succeed in their mission and fly off into the sunset in a CGI DC3.

Special mention to the costume department for putting the British Colonel in charge of the commandos in a modern RLC 2s jacket, complete with Golden Jubilee, Telic and NI medal ribbons. Likewise the RAF pilot (identifiable by his wings) who appeared to have enough clout to argue with said colonel and a yank 2 star general, but was wearing an SAC‘s jacket and rank badges.

Awesome.

Small team of British commandos, randomly led by a yank marine major (played by a British actor) go to Poland, rescue a polish scientist from the Nazis so he can go and work on the Manhattan project.

Along the way they encounter every shit war film cliche along the way. One of them pulls a fit Polish partisan bird while she’s nursing his wound, before spinning her a gash dit about some traumatic shit he had to do earlier in the war.

Some dodgy accents, very low budget battle scenes that wouldn‘t look out of place in a 1950s western and a few plot holes later, they succeed in their mission and fly off into the sunset in a CGI DC3.

Special mention to the costume department for putting the British Colonel in charge of the commandos in a modern RLC 2s jacket, complete with Golden Jubilee, Telic and NI medal ribbons. Likewise the RAF pilot (identifiable by his wings) who appeared to have enough clout to argue with said colonel and a yank 2 star general, but was wearing an SAC‘s jacket and rank badges.

Awesome.
On a serious note, there is so much research material available now stupid costume mistakes like that are inexcusable. Even in the lowest of low budget productions.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
On a serious note, there is so much research material available now stupid costume mistakes like that are inexcusable. Even in the lowest of low budget productions.
Given that seemingly 90% of film extras in the U.K. are ex military, they could’ve just asked someone.

Chef

LE
I suspect that the majority of film costume companies go down the 'If it's green it's a tank' route of historical accuracy. Plus if it's a field you know something about it grates.

Someone possibly @jumpinjarhead commented on the metal grips on the 30 cal Brownings in 'Pacific', should have been would, didn't bother me but the wooly pullies in '71' with velcro epaulettes and roll back cuffs rather than the plain shoulders and knitted cuffs annoyed me a lot

Having said which if it's a good film I don't mind them playing fast and loose with the kit (up to a point).

'Kelly's heroes' for example.

I suspect that the majority of film costume companies go down the 'If it's green it's a tank' route of historical accuracy. Plus if it's a field you know something about it grates.

Someone possibly @jumpinjarhead commented on the metal grips on the 30 cal Brownings in 'Pacific', should have been would, didn't bother me but the wooly pullies in '71' with velcro epaulettes and roll back cuffs rather than the plain shoulders and knitted cuffs annoyed me a lot

Having said which if it's a good film I don't mind them playing fast and loose with the kit (up to a point).

With regards the pacific series

A M1917A1 watercooled Browning had wooden grips as issued. The backplate of any version would interchange (M1917A1/M1919A4/A5/A6/M37) so maybe it was a US Navy thing since Marines got their weapons through them.

The bigger issue was the rifles-
At Guadalcanal the 1st marine division was armed with the M1903 Springfield bolt action. the series showed the adopted in 42, M1903A3 which has several noticeable changes
Including moving the backsight from the barrel by the chamber to the rear of the receiver, stamped furniture, no grasping grooves. Think of seeing a WW1 movie and the men have No.4's instead of SMLE and you'll understand.

I'm sure there is a thread regarding film advisors. Anyway, the general consensus was if the military advice doesn't fit the narrative, it gets ignored.

NSP

LE

Awesome.
I misguidedly gave this a spin when Netflix helpfully "suggested" it over the w/e. Is that John Hannah trying to do a posh English accent...?

And isn't the door on a Dak' on the left-hand side of the fuselage...?

Latest Threads