WWFE (Worst War Film Ever)

Maybe because if you had watched the movie it was an ITALIAN Camp, not a GERMAN Oflag and was based in 1943 I dont see many escapees from Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaya, Burma there either. I wonder why? :roll:
" In Italy there were no organised escape lines (as there were in other areas of Europe), and there are no recorded escapes from any Italian POW camp prior to the Italian Armistice in September 1943 "]

Edward Fox takes out a Heinkel 111 after it shoots up his engine in the Battle of Britain movie then bails out to land in a back garden
This was put into the film to represent the real life Sgt Ray Holmes.

He had run out of ammo after shooting down one of three Dorniers over London. Chasing and attacking a second one that was lining up on Buckingham Palace, he found his guns were empty, and decided to nudge the tail of the Dornier, taking off the complete tail section. The bomber went in onto the lines in front of Victoria Station. Unfortunately this also damaged the aerodynamics of the Hurricane, and he bailed out, his boots coming off with the violence of the parachute opening. His plane went in on Buckingham Palace Road, and he drifted down to the roof of a three storey house, ending up just off the ground, with his feet dangling in a dustbin...

The film also depicted a small boy greeting Edward Fox with a box of cigarettes. This also actually happened to Ray Holmes, though it was a woman who greeted him with a box of 50 cigarettes as a thank you for saving herself and her baby...

Documentary about finding the remains of his Hurricane:

Edited to add Wiki detail and documentary...

Last edited:
Omaha Beach- Easy Co 1st battalion,16th Infantry regiment 1st infantry division lands at Fox Green sector by LCVP, note the coxswains steel pot

"Matters were hardly improved by the film 'Saving Private Ryan'. I have no objection to the film as such because it wasn’t a documentary and Spielberg can use his remarkable talents to portray a story. But when asked by a BBC interviewer why he did not show any British involvement, he replied ‘This is a film about Omaha Beach. There were no British on Omaha. There is no role for the British.’ Spielberg also claimed that 'Historical accuracy is the bedrock of films such as Saving Private Ryan.' He follows the tradition of Marshall who wrote in an article ‘Normandy was a great American victory.’ Perhaps it was all a bad dream and I was not there.

'Saving Private Ryan' depicted C Company of 2nd Ranger Infantry Battalion landing on the Dog Green sector of Omaha Beach. Their two British LCA landing craft and the six LCAs carrying A Company of 116th Infantry Regiment of the 29th Infantry Division of the Army of the United States of America came under my command at that exact point and time. I was British then, as were all of the hundreds of other British sailors landing American troops on the morning of D-Day. Denying the presence of the Royal Navy on Omaha Beach or dishonouring them was a gross injustice."

Tell that to Sgt Fritz Niland who the movie is based on... he was yanked out of Normandy and sent home
Different situation... He wasn't lost behind enemy lines at the time. Sending him home was just a matter of some paperwork done by a Chaplain in the unit and not the generals in charge of D-Day.

"Unlike the fictional Ryan, however, there was no need to send out a rescue mission to find Sergeant Niland. When Father Francis L. Sampson, chaplain of the 501st, learned that two of Niland's brothers were dead, and that a third was presumed dead, he began the paperwork necessary to send Niland home.

Niland remained with his unit for some time, but once the paperwork cleared he was forced to return to the States, where he served in New York as an MP for the rest of the war."

You're contradicting yourself in one sentence
What makes something a good choice also makes something a bad choice. Imagine a flat open field with a hardened building on it. You might choose the hardened building as it makes for good protection but it is also going to be seen as obvious and immediately targeted.

Midway. Roland Emmerich shouldn't have been let anywhere near this. A missed opportunity to make a factual epic. Visually and technically superb, the whole gig is let down by dreadful acting, gash script, ridiculous stereotypes and action scenes straight out of Independence Day. The aliens being surprisingly absent.

Convincingly bringing wartime carrier ops back to life, there was not a converted BT6 or SNJ to be seen. CGI brings the SBDs, TBDs, B26s, Zekes and Nells back from extinction. Unfortunately, said types were rather sluggish in performance when compared to X-wing star fighters, but you wouldn't think so watching this movie.

Things explode spectacularly - as did happen at Pearl and Midway. That level of spectacle should've been enough. This movie is essentially World of Warships, with a flight sim lobbed in. A potentially superb movie let down by the same screenplay as the dreadful Pearl Harbour and marginally less dreadful Red Tails.

What a wasted opportunity.

" In Italy there were no organised escape lines (as there were in other areas of Europe), and there are no recorded escapes from any Italian POW camp prior to the Italian Armistice in September 1943 "]

Just picked this up. On the 24th March 1943 there was an embarrassing escape from Campo Concentramento 12 near Florence, they got out by tunnel Neame being an ex Sapper. The escapees weren't your young dashing chaps, but members of the General staff most who had been caught by Rommel in the Desert. The escapees were Lt General Neame VC, Lt General Carton de Wiart VC, Air Marshall Owen Boyd, and a clutch of Brigadiers. The Generals both VCs were on the run for 8 days.

I found the whole thing a bit odd, intense enemy rifle action right inside Dunkirk, there were brave British units on rearguard holding the Germans back, well back, from Dunkirk.
Utter shite. No comparison with the B&W version. Likewise the opening scene implying the German army was bearing down on a line of Frenchmen manning a sandbag ball just feet from the beach at the start of the evacuation was just bollox.

load_fin

War Hero
Just picked this up. On the 24th March 1943 there was an embarrassing escape from Campo Concentramento 12 near Florence, they got out by tunnel Neame being an ex Sapper. The escapees weren't your young dashing chaps, but members of the General staff most who had been caught by Rommel in the Desert. The escapees were Lt General Neame VC, Lt General Carton de Wiart VC, Air Marshall Owen Boyd, and a clutch of Brigadiers. The Generals both VCs were on the run for 8 days.
Incredible that they were on the run for eight days - Carton de Wiert didn't exactly blend in with locals, being 6'2", one armed and missing an eye.

More detail in his memoir "Happy Odyssey".

Incredible that they were on the run for eight days - Carton de Wiert didn't exactly blend in with locals, being 6'2", one armed and missing an eye.

Even better for him was that the Italians were looking for someone with no hands!
"Happy Odyssey" is a must read and makes Boys Own seem very tame.

Just got it and looking forward to reading it.

On topic, "The Thin Red Line" has to be the worst war film I've ever watch. Diabolically bad.

Utter shite. No comparison with the B&W version. Likewise the opening scene implying the German army was bearing down on a line of Frenchmen manning a sandbag ball just feet from the beach at the start of the evacuation was just bollox.
The chappie from one erection did it for me, sorry utter shite. Give me James Mills and the BW film any day.

ugly

LE
The chappie from one erection did it for me, sorry utter shite. Give me James Mills and the BW film any day.
However minime and I noticed that the introduction to the original used late war newsreel footage of Tiger tanks which was the only negative point

merchantman

War Hero
However minime and I noticed that the introduction to the original used late war newsreel footage of Tiger tanks which was the only negative point
In the 2017 Dunkirk when the plane lands on the beach at the end the pilot sets about butning it, modern container gantry cranes can be seen in the background, 2:37 in the youtube clip. Not really a deal breaker but the John Mills version was a better movie in my opinion

I think Dunkirk is in itself an amazing film, especially for its use of the soundtrack to intensify the effect.
However, the film seemed to me to be a string of cameos which fail to form a realistic impression overall.
I saw it with my sons who were both in the IDF at the time and we all walked out pretty stunned at the end.
I was staggered by the way they used a sixties railway carriage though.

I think Dunkirk is in itself an amazing film, especially for its use of the soundtrack to intensify the effect.
However, the film seemed to me to be a string of cameos which fail to form a realistic impression overall.
I saw it with my sons who were both in the IDF at the time and we all walked out pretty stunned at the end.
I was staggered by the way they used a sixties railway carriage though.
And Helga from 'Allo, Allo was on the platform with Bob Cryer from The Bill holding the beer.

Yeah the idea is treat Nolan's Dunkirk as a kind of moody clifhanger type of adventure

I'm surprised at the amount of praise for the 1950s Dunkirk. I really can't simply down to the fact that every time someone opens their mouth a massive string of facts, figures and statistics come out

A war correspondant is told the BEF is only conducting excersises. "This can't be true because BLAH BLAH BLAH"

He goes to see a French politician and is asked "How many British soldiers are in France 200,000? 300,000? BLAH BLAH BLAH "

Cut to Cpl Johnny Mills and the boys "XYZ are protecting our flanks on the East while ABC are protecting our West so we're going up to relive X corps at BLAH BLAH BLAH" "

RAF bloke sits on beach "Oi mate you'd better get out of that uniform. The footsloggers are going to take it on you fly-boys"

RAF bloke replies" RAF Fighter command have ordered the planes back to blightey because they can't afford any more losses in France"

No matter what happens someone has spell out what's happening , why it's happening and who's involved . It really does contain some of the most unnatural dialogue I've ever heard ina film, almost the screenwriter has written the scene but a academic historian has written the dialogue

Latest Threads