WWFE (Worst War Film Ever)

Although the omitted words there are "from altitude"

The Dunkirk plane was at low level when he commenced his 15 mile glide - that wasn't feasible
I don't think he did glide for 15 miles. He did though while gliding take out one last Stuka. Yeah right.

Of a bigger note he could have turned back earlier. Great he carried on fighting as there was a bomber strafing people in the water so he made the decision to stay, but he lost this country an aircraft and pilot. Both which would have been needed "for tomorrow" and for the Battle of Britain.

Although the omitted words there are "from altitude"

The Dunkirk plane was at low level when he commenced his 15 mile glide - that wasn't feasible
And also managed to down a Stuka whilst in stealth mode if I recall.

A pity really as I enjoyed the aerial segments until that happened

A film made about 10 years ago called 'Mercenaries'. It was utter toss to work on, and utter toss to watch. I think it went straight to DVD and didn't get close to general circulation. Utter, ridiculous bonk

Von Ryan's Express. A decent enough film.

One thing that did bother me though, so here's something to bother you if you ever watch it again. All the soldiers (German and Italian!) were using MP40's. The ammo pouches they carried were for the stripper clips for a Mauser rifle.

1593718404985.png

1593718943192.png

They should have had long ammo pouches for the magazines.

1593718773351.png

One thing that did bother me though, so here's something to bother you if you ever watch it again. All the soldiers (German and Italian!) were using MP40's. The ammo pouches they carried were for the stripper clips for a Mauser rifle.

View attachment 486693

View attachment 486697

View attachment 486696
Makes you wonder how they ever won the war.......oh! hang on

Rogue Warfare (NETFLIX) utterly dire. I endured about 20 minutes and gave up at the point that the arrogant, in your face, SAS block just started doing his own thing as they approached a village.

There’s a Rouge Warfare 2, I’m not even going to try and watch it.

I'm wondering if war films just don't work well with the other 2 or 3 on ARRSE that have actually served in 'orrible fighty places.

Other examples would be that I hate police dramas because I see the errors, and don't get me started on ambulance shite or stuff set in hospitals. Nor can I watch the celeb who dares wins, but that's because it reminds me of my own failure.....not that I'm bitter with self loathing due to my own weakness.......:x

Chimp

ADC
Black Hawk Down. Trust me. I saw it in the States at Christmas.
Reality - Yanks panic, get shot down, panic some more, decide everyone with black skin is a terrorist, send in Apaches to fire rockets into demonstration slaughtering 90 unarmed men, women and children
Film - Yanks get shot down thanks to bad luck, fight bravely against overwheling odds, against scores of state0of-the-art armed an well trained enemy troops, emerging victorious in the nick of time.
Moral - This is why they're so fecking dangerous on ops.
Gosh - it's like you were there.

View attachment 486693

View attachment 486697

View attachment 486696
Of course only Sinatra could have organised the useless Brits. Without him, they wouldnt have even been able to get on the train.
In reality, Frankie was 4F. Medically exempt from service.

I don't think he did glide for 15 miles. He did though while gliding take out one last Stuka. Yeah right.

Of a bigger note he could have turned back earlier. Great he carried on fighting as there was a bomber strafing people in the water so he made the decision to stay, but he lost this country an aircraft and pilot. Both which would have been needed "for tomorrow" and for the Battle of Britain.
Edward Fox takes out a Heinkel 111 after it shoots up his engine in the Battle of Britain movie then bails out to land in a back garden

Of course only Sinatra could have organised the useless Brits. Without him, they wouldnt have even been able to get on the train.
In reality, Frankie was 4F. Medically exempt from service.
Like Trevor Howard won the VC?

Numerous errors with it.

3. In real life it was UK crews and UK LCA landing craft taking US troops. There were no UK landing craft available now in large numbers but there was US LCM and LCVP types. They could still have had UK crews crewing them but then it was thought that would also look wrong.
Omaha Beach- Easy Co 1st battalion,16th Infantry regiment 1st infantry division lands at Fox Green sector by LCVP, note the coxswains steel pot

They came from the US Coast guard Manned USS Samuel Chase (APA-26). the myth it was all RN/RM crews @ Omaha is just that

4. The whole idea that in the middle of D-Day, an offensive that could have gone horribly wrong with massive consequences for the war, Europe and the world onwards and the guys at the top are taking time out to worry about the life of one guy?
Tell that to Sgt Fritz Niland who the movie is based on... he was yanked out of Normandy and sent home

6. Snipers didn't use church towers. It was well known they could be used for sniping or reconnaissance so they were targeted from afar. A German tank would have immediately taken it out on approach.
You're contradicting yourself in one sentence

Back in the 1960s and 1970s there were a handful or films about the war in the Western Desert, usually with a Septic with white knees telling the Brits how to do it properly. I think there was also a TV series (the Rat Patrol?) in the same vein.
Rat Patrol? where the APL was British RTR Sgt. Jack Moffitt (Gary Raymond)?

Omaha Beach- Easy Co 1st battalion,16th Infantry regiment 1st infantry division lands at Fox Green sector by LCVP, note the coxswains steel pot

They came from the US Coast guard Manned USS Samuel Chase (APA-26). the myth it was all RN/RM crews @ Omaha is just that

Tell that to Sgt Fritz Niland who the movie is based on... he was yanked out of Normandy and sent home

You're contradicting yourself in one sentence
In reality, wasn't Niland found and on his way within a couple of days? A rare example of military efficiency?

reminds me of my own failure.....not that I'm bitter with self loathing due to my own weakness.......:x
Funked the 5 km March of Death, eh? ;-) :p

I've posted this on another thread a couple of days ago on one of the more cerebral threads Kittyhawk vs Hurricane thread I think but it's probably more fitting here

Probably not the worst war film ever but it's one of those Americancentric ones that involve those macho Yanks showing us Limeys how to beat the Jerries

Two dreadful things jump out at you though

1) The German panzer is an American Sherman

2) Despite being set at the end of 1942 the Germans discuss Panther tanks that didn't appear until the Summer of 1943

Like I said maybe not the worst film ever made but I'm merciful to it after seeing it one Thursday evening circa 1975

Latest Threads