WWFE (Worst War Film Ever)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I watched Hurricane the other night.

It’s not actually that bad truth be told, but there was a little too much Brit bashing.

A small handful of Czechs and Poles basically come and win the entire Battle of Britain for the RAF, while being racially abused and discriminated against.

Then after the war there is some sort of referendum apparently, where the British public got to decide whether they should be sent home.

They get sent home and the Russians **** them.

It’s all Britain’s fault.

Ungrateful bastards.

The end.

waltbloke

Old-Salt
I watched Hurricane the other night.

It’s not actually that bad truth be told, but there was a little too much Brit bashing.

A small handful of Czechs and Poles basically come and win the entire Battle of Britain for the RAF, while being racially abused and discriminated against.

Then after the war there is some sort of referendum apparently, where the British public got to decide whether they should be sent home.

They get sent home and the Russians **** them.

It’s all Britain’s fault.

Ungrateful bastards.

The end.
Remind me when this happened? I'm getting all confused!

sunny james

Old-Salt
Dunkirk must be in for a mention surely (if it hasn't already) 3 orderly queues of blokes all saying "there will be a ship along any minute" and one Spitfire flying for three days on fumes? WWFE!
What really annoys me about this is the lost opportunity to show the scope of the story.
I suppose no other film about Dunkirk will be made in my lifetime.

Two films that was and still is utter shit.
Firstly..."the odd angry shot" utter utter shit
Secondly.."the fury" utter utter shit.
I hope you agree with my indepth critique?

ugly

LE
The odd angry shot was almost permanently signed out to our block in the 80's. We all knew the script and would turn the volume down and do the parts oourselves really badly.
There wasn't much to do in Buller Bks Munster between paydays!

The odd angry shot was almost permanently signed out to our block in the 80's. We all knew the script and would turn the volume down and do the parts oourselves really badly.
There wasn't much to do in Buller Bks Munster between paydays!
What spoiled it for me was that Harry character.forever running off at the mouth.
Surely to god the aussie SAS are more professional than how they were portrayed in that film?
Incidentally there was even less to do in Nelson bks Munster

ugly

LE
What spoiled it for me was that Harry character.forever running off at the mouth.
Surely to god the aussie SAS are more professional than how they were portrayed in that film?
Incidentally there was even less to do in Nelson bks Munster
As long as you accept its a drama then its not too bad, at least they seem to have been advised by some experienced folk, no crap webbing or uniform howlers (apart from issued berets they were really that bad) or sh1t weapons handling.
Ive worked with a fair few aussies and there is usually one making more noise!

Slime

LE
It’s funny how everything is relative.

While the odd angry shot is utter dross it’s Oscar winning stuff compared to the American seal or Chuck Norris films.

Looks like Midway could be heading for the WWFE awards. It gets a no holds panning from the Military Times.

Wouldn't normally comment without seeing a film, but I already caught Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo reviewing this yesterday, and Kermode was positively polite and generous compared to this review!

He compared this film to Pearl Harbour, saying that next to Midway, the earlier film is considerably understated!..

Wouldn't normally comment without seeing a film, but I already caught Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo reviewing this yesterday, and Kermode was positively polite and generous compared to this review!

He compared this film to Pearl Harbour, saying that next to Midway, the earlier film is considerably understated!..
I suffered watching Pearl Harbour and just couldn't wait till the Japs started bombing the pace. It was dire.

If Midway is worse, the it's really dire.

D

Deleted 24582

With all the fuss about casting of actors recently (including on some threads on this site) I had a chuckle wondering if the studio worried about if they should cast a straight guy for the role of Ensign George Gay in Midway.
Edited to correct auto correct

Last edited:

OK, but isn’t it absurd how long that Spitfire glides?

Not really. Veterans reported gliding their Spitfires 15 miles or more.
I believe the broad brush figer in the air generalisation guestimate is 1 Mile / 1000ft of Altitude for fixed wing.

To my mind** that Spitfire out performed a viking T1

**deluded and unknowledgeable as it may be

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
I suffered watching Pearl Harbour and just couldn't wait till the Japs started bombing the pace. It was dire.

If Midway is worse, the it's really dire.
There are no mung bean eating feminists to save the day hence the critics hate it.

Personally I thought it was truly epic. Best film I've seen in many a year and could only poke one very minor historical inaccuracy.

I believe the broad brush figer in the air generalisation guestimate is 1 Mile / 1000ft of Altitude for fixed wing.

To my mind** that Spitfire out performed a viking T1

**deluded and unknowledgeable as it may be
Depends what you mean by fixed wing. Not to sound pedantic, but these are both fixed wing, and you can probably hazard a guess at which has the better glide ratio:

Versus

5BAFD55E-C6A9-4D61-A01A-7EAD0A0C41B8.jpeg

Latest Threads