WW2 uniform question.

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Jock the scot, Jun 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure where to put this.
    These photos are my grandfather on my mums side.
    First one in WW2 BD and the second one in what I've been told is WW2 tank uniform, working dress ?
    Would this be right ?

Attached Files:

2. He served in the RAC from 1940-46 and was was involved in heavy fighting at Caen in 1944.
  3. I don't profess to be an expert on these thing but in the second photo your Granddad appears to be wearing a Royal Tank Regiment cap badge.
  4. Thanks ACAB, He never mentioned anything about being in tanks to me, but it does look like a tank badge.
    He told me he was a gunner, AA mainly in the early parts of the war and that he ended up in Caen.
    I've been to Bovington a couple of times but haven't seen that type of uniform before.
  5. This is him as a football boss in the 1950's-1960's.
    Small bloke on the left with the flag.

Attached Files:

6. Some photos he had in his album, I lived with him in the 1970's and he went back to Caen a couple of times with my nan.
    Think he honed his voice up whilst in the army, it came in handy on the football field. :)

Attached Files:

7. I've got a feeling these are standard photos given to British troops, they're actual photos but I would have thought pre war ?
    I don't know how my grandad came to get them.

Attached Files:

8. Not sure what the bottom photo is.
  9. Luftwaffe going by the Fliegerbluse
  10. Granddad looks as though he was doing a bit of 'intelligence' gathering and forgot to hand it in.
    Did he also have a nice collection of German wristwatches?
  11. Aren't the boxheads wonderfully methodical. They think of EVERYTHING!

Shovel Drill FFS....for those moments when you have to take a Reichsarbeitsdienst muster parade. what else did they have in their drill manuals?

This is my shovel. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My shovel is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My shovel, without me, is useless. Without my shovel, I am useless.
    etc etc (with apologies to Full Metal Jacket etc)

• Like Like x 3
  12. The second photo is of a RTR private wearing the black regimental beret with badge and black regimental overall.

The RAD photos could be pre-war or wartime, impossible to tell.

In the photo with the Luftwaffe bloke plus another and a woman the second appears to be holding parachutist trousers.
  13. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

In the second photo, he seems to be wearing some sort of civilian tracksuit top, judging by the fact that it has a zipper front and coloured waistband and wristbands.
  14. He did have his old helmet in the shed which we used to play with.
  15. Thanks everyone.