WW2 Uniform information required

PHedgie

Swinger
Hello, and I hope someone out there can help me.
I am looking to recreate my Granddads Royal Signals uniform for the Goodwood revival this year and I am finding it hard to get the right information.
I know that during the war he served at El Alamein alongside the 8th army but I want to know if he would have worn a No2 service dress for formal occasions. It is very easy to find what an officer would have worn but his rank was only LCpl. I don't really want to turn up to what would have been a formal event for him dressed in battle dress.
Also any information on what type of head ware would be worn with this uniform would be great.

Unless he was a pre-War regular, he would not have been issued 2 Dress: thus, battledress would be consistent.

Also (dependant on which period of the war you wish to portray) he would wear the ribbon of the Africa Star (late 1943 onwards).

Hello, and I hope someone out there can help me.
I am looking to recreate my Granddads Royal Signals uniform for the Goodwood revival this year and I am finding it hard to get the right information.
I know that during the war he served at El Alamein alongside the 8th army but I want to know if he would have worn a No2 service dress for formal occasions. It is very easy to find what an officer would have worn but his rank was only LCpl. I don't really want to turn up to what would have been a formal event for him dressed in battle dress.
Also any information on what type of head ware would be worn with this uniform would be great.
Was anything other than Battledress issued to enlisted men from 1940 -45 as normal wear?

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
There's record of privately bought shirt and tie (sgt and above) even the issue shirt didn't have a collar - some wore a face veil as a 'cravat'

There is another alternative. Don't do it. Some of the living history lot can be quite **** about 'the look'. If you haven't got it spot on, i.e. scaley rockers, arm of service strip, appropriate div patch, trade badges, rank and service stripes, correct badge and head gear (FS or GS cap), BD, 37 patt web belt, gaiters and ammo boots; then you will look like a muppet. Original stuff can be very pricey, but replica stuff is a more (slightly) affordable alternative. I'd keep it simple, but make sure you get it right.

A copy of Brian L Davis's masterwork is also a must for muppet-avoidance.

Battle Dress, Wool and Denim BD's

PHedgie

Swinger
@BuckFelize That is exactly my worry. I know the crowd at the Goodwood revival can be quite fussy.
Any idea what type of cap he would have worn as I know there were many variants used by signal men during the war.
I think I will need to order a copy of that book you mentioned.

Last edited:
@BuckFelize That is exactly my worry. I know the crowd at the Goodwood revival can be quite fussy.
Any idea what type of cap he would have worn as I know there were many variants used by signal men during the war.
I think I will need to order a copy of that book you mentioned.
Go with a side cap and NOT Cap GS, which was universally hated 70 years ago.

Given that you'll probably sweat yer nads off, I'd go for the KD shorts, KD shirt, hose tops, belt, gaiters, boots and a KD FS cap with R Sigs badge. No faffing with div patches and other badges then.

CHECK that link out in my previous. They have everything you'll need, with maybe the exception of the cap badge (which was different then). They're easy to come by.

@PHedgie I don't know which side of the Atlantic you're on, but I remember reading somewhere that Canadian BD ca 1946-47 might be a little easier to get and is remarkably similar to the British BD that was available during the war. It's said to have been made of better quality material too.

PHedgie

Swinger
@PHedgie I don't know which side of the Atlantic you're on, but I remember reading somewhere that Canadian BD ca 1946-47 might be a little easier to get and is remarkably similar to the British BD that was available during the war. It's said to have been made of better quality material too.
@Ruckerwocman I am on the British side of the Atlantic and I am trying to be as faithful as possible to the original uniform. My plan is also to do a photo shoot wearing the uniform at some point so I want to keep the "that's not right" comments to a minimum.
Thanks for your advise though.

@Ruckerwocman I am on the British side of the Atlantic and I am trying to be as faithful as possible to the original uniform. My plan is also to do a photo shoot wearing the uniform at some point so I want to keep the "that's not right" comments to a minimum.
Thanks for your advise though.
Good luck to you then. You ought to have a chance of finding real British BD of the correct era over on your side. Post a picture if you do succeed in getting a uniform together.

BD was 'normal' wear....
So I understand

37 Pattern
1940 Austerity pattern

and US made ''War Aid'' pattern with a fly front and made of a finer material similar to US Class "A" jackets (Issued it seems to those in the ME & Italy for the most part)

Although, if one is a real pedant, it has a distinctively more greenish hue and a better cut:

upload_2016-5-5_20-46-31.png

upload_2016-5-5_20-46-47.png

Not sure if soldiers from the two armies ever swapped, but given the nature of RSMs in those days, I doubt it outside the field, if at all.

Latest Threads