WW2 steam locomotives in Iraq

This is one of a number of London Midland and Scottish Railway class 8F's loaned to the British Army in WW2 and still believed to be in existence in Iraq.

This photo was taken in Baghdad in the 1990.

Can anyone confirm this engine or any of its classmates still exists in Iraq or taken photos maybe?

Trotsky

Trotsky said:
This is one of a number of London Midland and Scottish Railway class 8F's loaned to the British Army in WW2 and still believed to be in existence in Iraq.

Can anyone confirm this engine or any of its classmates still exists in Iraq or taken photos maybe?

Trotsky
I recall what might have been a Chinese and East European diesel locomotives pulling passenger cars but nothing as old as what you've pictured sitting anywhere. One of my detachments was located in a very large train repair depot in As Samawah and I don't remember seeing anything like it there either.

Virgil said:
Trotsky said:

Trotsky
I recall what might have been a Chinese and East European diesel locomotives pulling passenger cars but nothing as old as what you've pictured sitting anywhere. One of my detachments was located in a very large train repair depot in As Samawah and I don't remember seeing anything like it there either.
Thanks

As it seems to infuriate some people I thought I would diversify the conversation. The above is GORDON an army Austerity 2-10-0 operated by the Longmoor military railway until the end of the sixties.

Whilst loads of civilian and industrial loco's were preserved the armed forces' steam locomotives seem largely neglected. In an organisation that places so much store on institutional history this surprises me. Does the RLC have a collection anywhere?

Trotsky (DPM anorack at the ready.)

The Army Museum of Transport at Beverley near Hull had the old RE/RCT Railway Collection from Longmoor till it closed in 2004. Most of the exhibits and rolling stock was transfered to the National Army Museum (NAS) or the National Railway Museum in York I believe? Why it was allowed to fail is beyond me!

The RLC Museum at Deepcut is the size of a Postage Stamp, and the only transport items they seem to have is Montys Rolls Royce and an Eager Beavor.
For such a large corps it has very few large items on display for any of the founding corps and its heritage.

Trotsky , why diversify?

The subject of just how many Iraqi Sea Furies was the subject of intense discussion about whether any more examples were extant after the Americans bought a load in the 80's. The discovery of the 2 examples (pre-'remodelling' ) was real news, as was the discovery of a certain very very rare SPG.

Keep looking for those locos , sure as hell someone else in green has a passion for steam.

Regards

PTP

Amazing how things turn up, I heard some of those fury's are being taken
by a preservation society, hope they get them in the air.
Pity the same couldnt be helped for the trains,
But give time I sure they'll be restored as well.

They stopped making real Locos when they stopped making Steam.
john
Talk Steam and you'll find a conversation worldwide.
Jon Willy ex apprentice Vulcan Foundrey, Newton Le Willows, Lancashire.

if it was metal and abandoned it more than likley has been stripped for anything worth while (in iraq anything) anyone remember that helicopter outside of shaibah? i think it may have been a Hip but by the time i left the majority had gone

Bump

Hello jonwilly,

Vulcan was not a million miles from here.
There is a lot of railway history hereabouts,I can recall seeing the Flying Scotsman,Rocket (replica?) and many others in a parade many years ago.
A certain well known railway company owner and steam train enthusiast used to work with tangosix senior.

tangosix.

Trotsky said:

As it seems to infuriate some people I thought I would diversify the conversation. The above is GORDON an army Austerity 2-10-0 operated by the Longmoor military railway until the end of the sixties.

Whilst loads of civilian and industrial loco's were preserved the armed forces' steam locomotives seem largely neglected. In an organisation that places so much store on institutional history this surprises me. Does the RLC have a collection anywhere?

Trotsky (DPM anorack at the ready.)
Ah, Trotsky! What memories! What joy!

In 1965 I shovelled coal :strong: on that very engine, when I was very briefly a member of 156 Railway Squadron Royal Engineers Sqn (AER), just prior to going Reg.

One day we had a run out to Liss and then back again up to Bordon, clocking 90mph on the straight behind Longmoor ranges; then BRAKES ON!!!! - before we ran into the buffers at SEME.

FKs what the tonnage is for a 2-10-0 with tender and two flat beds for balance, (200 tons?)but the brakes went on just before the road bridge at Whitehill and, by the time we got down to coasting speed, there was only a quarter mile left before we got to the buffers at the SEME halt!
Anecdotes from the older and bolder members tell of a locomotive failing to stop at that point and plowing right through the buffers, through the shingle trap and on across the camp... :D

As for 'Austerity', there was b*gger-all austerity about the amount of brasswork we had to shine-up. I recall that there was a red sister engine NUK and a rather nice little 0-6-0 saddle tank shunter called 'CAEN'. I believe that 'CAEN' featured in one of the very first UK TV live outside broadcasts, showing a deliberate de-railment:- shame that it went tits-up and rolled off the wrong side of the track and nearly squashed one of the camera teams! :D

Another 'funny' was a four wheeled flatbed truck with about ten tons of pig iron strapped on to it and a bloody great hydraulically powered hook and plow that was used to rip up the track and road-bed- I suppose it'd go under the name of Resource Denial Device these days but the 'Feckin'Wreckin' Truck' was more satisfying! As it was, you'd've needed something as powerful as 'Gordon' to pull the b*gger.

Thanks for the pic. , that's one for my album.

Thanks for the reply, the other LMR 2-10-0 was I beleive called Kitchener and got broken up in the 60's. Considering there were nealry a thousand Austerities very few have survived unfortuntaly, and all of those are either ex army or from abroad, BR scrapped all theirs by the end of 67, did Gordon "clang" with a chain sound as it (he?) moved along?

Trotsky

In fact 201 locos were allocated to the army in the muiddle east, the majority went to Egypt . Although it's a bit unclear it would appesr that 22 remained in Persia/Iraq. They were built at North British, Beyer Peacock and Crewe works. About 15 were lost at sea on the way out.

Trotsky, have you tried a google earth on this?

FFS, it's more than 40 years ago, I was shovelling coal like a mad thing and grinning like an idiot... :D

The noise! The smell!

Give me time and I'll dredge through the whisky-sodden grey cells for any specifics! :D