WW2 RAMC rank query

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by MrDragon, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Grandad passed away a couple of weeks ago and all his military stuff has come to me.

In his release book (Feb 1946) his rank is given as S/Sgt then in brackets is either (A/V/Q.M.S) or (A.W.Q.M.S) I can't see if its a 'V' or 'W' from the writing.

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what the meaning of it is. My thoughts are that it is to do with an Acting Rank, which as he was a Staffy would have been Warrant Officer. Also assuming that QSM is something to do with quartermasters.

Any help appreciated!

Got some great photos, from basic training at the RAMC depot, Dalkeith in April 1940 (he was Dunkirk weeks later), Italy, Cairo and Austria.

2. Have you tried talking to the RAMC museum at Keogh Barracks (Aldershot)? Im sure someone there would be able to help you.

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

He may have been a SQMS type post involved in the highly important issuing of stores

Vital to the good running of any unit.

Yes, I may have been also involved in such task- not sure I remember issuing too much!

4. You never did, all you said was feck off........ :wink:

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Another satisfied customer!

6. Gotta side with Venty here..

definition of store - a place to KEEP things :)

7. if you was meant to give stuff out they would be called issues, not stores

8. Notice how we have resisited saying Ventress will know it was his era mid 1940's

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Get back to your damp dusting!

10. Thread jackers! Back on track people.