WW2 POW Escapes

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by geo7863, Feb 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have in the past read the 'Colditz story,' and more have recently 'under the wire' by William Ash and 'Moonless Night' By BA 'Jimmy' James, two RAF chaps who did a fair amount of escape attempts during WW2. And of course I have like most old farts of my age seen the films over the years. like 'Albert RN' 'The Wooden Horse' and of course the legendary christmas TV special 'The great Escape (of which Jimmy James took part) and the story of the only Boxhead to escape Franz von Werra in 'The one that got away'

Now I know a fair few British, Dutch, Polish, Norwegian and French (as well as other nationalities ) POW's escaped from German POW camps but does anyone know if any US prisoners did? I know William Ash was born an American as was John Dodge (an absolutely remarkable fella by all accounts!) but both were naturalised Brits and both were serving in the British Military at the time of their escape attampts, but did our Yank cousins actually do any escapes successfull or not?

I do know US troops did escape from japanese POW camps..well I know 4 did...but have never seen anything relating to German camps.
  2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

3. This site says some 30 did, but no details.

Allied POWs
  4. Cheers for the replies chaps shall invetsigate those links!
  5. Well I'll be the only ELMS site I knew of was the Encyclopedia of Lesbian Movie Scenes.
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Damm and I thought this was going to be a thread about how a bunch of old boys escaped the nursing home and went to the pub!
  7. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

can any once help with ww2 escape codes please . I got foot and langley's book and its not in there also no response from ww2 talk site thingy . Have two coded letters and an seeking another 24 in April when I go to the Pro Kew .
  8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Try From Colditz In Code

Great book about a WW2 Dental Officer captured with the 51st Highland Div at St Valery. Unfortunately was also Jewish. Set up a system off sending coded messages back to the Uk, eventually ended up in Colditz.
  9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC that's how Hoover and Yeager linked up at Muroc
    Yeager was an evadee (he avoided capture after being shot down and got to Spain) and Hoover an Escapee
    As such the USAAF allowed them there choice of duty station and they both selected Muroc field as it was close to home
    Turned out to be right place right time
  10. Fine Drills. Well done Mr Hoover.
  11. Thanks I was posting from work and for some strange reason that site was blocked by my employers.
  12. or Between Silk and Cyanide by Leo Marks - thoroughly enjoyable book