WW2 Para Records

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi Troops,
I'm just preparing to start researching a 94 year old paratroopers history in the new year, unfortunately i cant get to speak to him nor is he very forthcoming on his story as it upsets him .

So i have researched ww1 and IRA members in the 1916/23 period but this will be the first time that I've researched WW2 in this way . His daughter will provide me with his name number and hopefully unit . Will his attestation papers and his service records tell me where he transferred from to get into the Paras and will it give me the details of battles ? I think I might obtain served in Italy, Egypt etc for such and such dates .
Does it mean that I shall have to ask for his unit war diaries ? I say that because my subscription to the site that allows me to search war Diaries ran out in the Summer .
Any tips would be gratefully received. .I am not doing this for money, just for the fact that his voice needs to be heard.

Also I am trying to get RBL/ Saffa to see if they could asses his needs such as extra care etc. but the stubborn ole bugger still thinks he is 20.!!
Bless his heart .
Cheers folks .

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh I forgot to say that his family have been told that he jumped from something else BEFORE planes, I asked if it was Balloons or lorries but they couldn't remember.
That's another reason for finding out his story .
Thanks again

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It may not be obvious that he went para if the unit reroled as para, eg a bn of Staffords at Arnhem, 1 Borders ditto. Ox&Bucks in Normandy, etc.

I dunno. I've never looked.

Type 66

Old-Salt
Duxford hold the records of Airborne Forces Units. What is his Name? There are a lot of people here who hold records of initial jumps courses etc. If he served in Egypt/Italy i am thinking 4th Parachute Brigade who were initially trained in Kabrit / Ramat David.

Last edited:
It may not be obvious that he went para if the unit reroled as para, eg a bn of Staffords at Arnhem, 1 Borders ditto. Ox&Bucks in Normandy, etc.

I dunno. I've never looked.
His training would have been initially recorded , irrelevant of unit, at RAF Ringway and as @Type 66 has remarked now at Duxford it appears.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
His training would have been initially recorded , irrelevant of unit, at RAF Ringway and as @Type 66 has remarked now at Duxford it appears.
Funnily enough @Goatman and I were sat at dinner an hour ago before Sluggy's cremation tomorrow, talking about you. Given what he said about you (and our paths crossing at Lippspringe, 1977), I bow to your wealth of knowledge.

I'm not sure if you can get hold of his service records without his permission. If he applies for them, they're free (iirc).

His unit war diaries would probably be a major help, as the service records can be a bit lacking sometimes.
Screenshot_20191118-222345.png

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Duxford hold the records of Airborne Forces Units. What is his Name? There are a lot of people here who hold records of initial jumps courses etc. If he served in Egypt/Italy i am thinking 4th Parachute Brigade who were initially trained in Kabrit / Ramat David.
sorry dont know his name yet im just doing the prep, looking at google etc.

2000AD

Old-Salt
Hi Type 66, I'm looking to research my late Grandfathers service too. I have his medals which were passed to me for safe keeping to me when he passed away. He has Italy and Africa stars. The Africa star has the 1st Army bar. His territorial medal has rank, name, service number and is annotated Para.
If I pm you these details would you be able to see if you have any detail for him?
Many thanks

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
When you find out his name..PM me and i will check the Kabrit/Ramat David records for the date of his initial jumps course.
i tried to pm you but ended up starting a conversation . I have no idea how this works but I deduced we could hace a private chat about this thread on here . many thanks .

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
i tried to pm you but ended up starting a conversation . I have no idea how this works but I deduced we could hace a private chat about this thread on here . many thanks .
FYI, a conversation is the new name for PM.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
thanks Joker62 I hear that the've even got computers on the internet now as well.
I am a dozy ole Sapper.

Type 66

Old-Salt
Hi Type 66, I'm looking to research my late Grandfathers service too. I have his medals which were passed to me for safe keeping to me when he passed away. He has Italy and Africa stars. The Africa star has the 1st Army bar. His territorial medal has rank, name, service number and is annotated Para.
If I pm you these details would you be able to see if you have any detail for him?
Many thanks
Pm me his details I will check this afternoon after work.

Latest Threads