WW2 Motor Gunboats (MGB)

Union Jack

Old-Salt
That adds up with the time line and I'm sure I was told they were Portland based ..... we had a family friend who worked on the base in some hush hush capacity....he certainly was well connected but was a civvy .
Revisited Portland a few years ago with some vehicles at the D Day museum opening, shocked to see how the old naval base had changed and gone in the 15 years or so since I was last there
Pleased that that seems to make sense regarding the SCIMITAR Class.

It sounds as if your family friend worked at the Admiralty Underwater Weapons Establishment - Wikipedia the location of the infamous Portland Spy Ring - Wikipedia which passed an enormous amount of very highly classified information to the Soviet Union over a period of years, with Harry Houghton, a retired Master at Arms, one of the principal offenders receiving 15 years for the part he played. I also note the suggestion that the spy ring "may have involved more senior members of staff at the Admiralty Research Establishment, who remained undetected." Not casting nasturtiums about the family friend!

I couldn't agree more about how former bases have gone downhill so quickly.

Jack

Last edited:
Pleased that that seems to make sense regarding the SCIMITAR Class.

It sounds as if your family friend worked at the Admiralty Underwater Weapons Establishment - Wikipedia the location of the infamous Portland Spy Ring - Wikipedia which passed an enormous amount of very highly classified information to the Soviet Union over a period of years, with Harry Houghton, a retired Master at Arms, one of the principal offenders receiving 15 years for the part he played. I also note the suggestion that the spy ring "may have involved more senior members of staff at the Admiralty Research Establishment, who remained undetected." Not casting nasturtiums about the family friend!

I couldn't agree more about how former bases have gone downhill so quickly.

Jack
Don't know .....Uncle Vlad always seemed like a nice guy to me . ;-)

Latest Threads