WW2 Motor Gunboats (MGB)

Second from bottom is an ASR launch.
my wife’s other grandad David was an engineer on one operating out of Alexandria during the war, did a bit of Air Sea Rescue, but rather more sneaky beaky taxi stuff to the Greek islands at night Aparrently.
He ended the war deaf as a deaf thing ( no ear defenders for engine rooms in those days) and was as a result ideally suited to his post war job. Driving a road sweeper truck for the manx highway board.
His widow died this January and his big box of photos of their dareing do have gone I know not where.

A sketch of a Fairmile D Class MGB taken from "Motor Gunboat 658". I'd suggest this is 'a' reference, not 'the' reference for the armaments.

IMG_6881.JPG

IMG_6882.JPG

daz

LE
I had posted them on here before as you might recall :)

As an aside, the harbour just about visible in the photo used to run ASR launches during the war, 46 Air-Sea Rescue Marine Craft Unit (ASRMCU),

93800346_10222854402929028_3114886303703891968_o.jpg

I have a hazy childhood memory of being at Portland Bill watching an offshore powerboat race.....
Even some of the big boats were struggling a bit in the famous tidal race when along came the Navy in a sporty number based at Portland ...I distinctly remember it pulling along side a power boat and with a roar of a jet engine just powering away like the race boat was sitting still .
Am I deluded or did we have such boats ?
Always wanted to hear and see an MTB with the V12's on full song

I have a hazy childhood memory of being at Portland Bill watching an offshore powerboat race.....
Even some of the big boats were struggling a bit in the famous tidal race when along came the Navy in a sporty number based at Portland ...I distinctly remember it pulling along side a power boat and with a roar of a jet engine just powering away like the race boat was sitting still .
Probably Brave Class Patrol Boats.

.... so almost certainly one of the Scimitar Class Fast Patrol Boats

Jack
That adds up with the time line and I'm sure I was told they were Portland based ..... we had a family friend who worked on the base in some hush hush capacity....he certainly was well connected but was a civvy .
Revisited Portland a few years ago with some vehicles at the D Day museum opening, shocked to see how the old naval base had changed and gone in the 15 years or so since I was last there

Any info on the MGB pictured.

I recall a feature on TV a few years ago about a restored MGB 60 originally built by British Power Boats being driven around somewhere Solent based. Looked very similar but had no armament fitted at that time.

I've been playing that very MGB in War Thunder recently and its noted as MGB 75.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
heres a bit of MTB propaganda from the was - the MGBs come to its rescue:) tea and medals all round!

'Focsle party - turning forrard dismiss...standby ropes and fenders.'

the Brave boats were guard ships for the races in the 60’s, and never had any problem keeping up with the race boats, and in the slightest chop, running away from them.

ArchieCat

Old-Salt
Does anyone have current info on the status of S130, the S-boat being restored by The Wheatcroft Collection? It seems to have gone very quiet over the last few years.

Royal Museums Greenwich have reproductions of structural plans for MGBs
MGB

This will take a while after proving you are not a robot but the book download itself is quick enough.
British Motor Gun Boat 1939-45 (New Vanguard 166) - [Download PDF]

British Military Powerboat Team - Motor Gun Boat forum:
Motor Gun Boats - BMPT Forum - Page 1

Spitfires of the Sea Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/spitfiresofthesea/posts/

Slight OT but interesting find:

"Detail Specifications For Building Motor Torpedo Boats, March 1944, provides the builders specifications for PT 565-624. Numerous details about PT Boats appear in the manual that provide insight to both the technology and the life aboard PT Boats."

DETAIL SPECIFICATIONS FOR BUILDING MOTOR TORPEDO BOATS

Also available here amongst a variety of maritime resources:

WW II PT Boat | Historic Naval Ships Association

Further OT but related, British Power Boats Company register

"This document does not include those larger boats built for military purposes, such as MGB and HSL type craft. Much information can be found on surviving military boats by visiting the website of the British Military Powerboat Team at www.bmpt.org.uk As far as I am aware at least 3 whalebacks survive plus a number of other types."
British Powerboat Company Register - British Powerboat Company

Manuals & Documents | Historic Naval Ships AssociationMotor Gun Boats - BMPT Forum - Page 1

Does anyone have current info on the status of S130, the S-boat being restored by The Wheatcroft Collection? It seems to have gone very quiet over the last few years.
The collection URL given by wikipedia is no longer accessible but I found a facebook page, see below. As of 2012 it was in Cornwall undergoing restoration as I understand it.

Wheatcroft Collection Update: Includes Finding 8 Sherman Tank Engines - This 2018 update has pics and text about the collection but no mention, unless I missed it, of the S boat.

The collection has it's own facebook page now. I don't do facebook but you may find something about S130 there. The Wheatcroft Collection

S130?
alas, the Wheatcroft Collection ran into the problem of good old German Bespoke over engineering and it cost far more and proved to be far more complex than anticipated.

Unlike the British model which was never use a curved bit of wood when a flat bit would do, lap joint woodwork any half competent chippy could put together and any off the shelf engines they could find along with any ships kit that worked, and the whole design optimised for sub assembly construction in any furniture or carpentry woodwork shop, the S Boats were superb bits of highly developed marine engineering, but also another perfect example of why the Germans lost the war.

Not a single thought was given to mass production, they were perfect examples of the hand crafted boat builders art that required highly skilled Artisan craftsmen to build. Almost Every wooden part a compound curve, wonderful quality joints, purpose designed world class Daimler Benz V20 high speed marine Diesel engines, every inch of the hull optimised to squeeze the last ounce of speed out of the boat, almost every mechanical part bespoke designed to shave the last ounce of weight and to be perfect for the job.

Latest Threads