WW2 Motor Gunboats (MGB)

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a copy.

I think the larger gun on the foredeck is one of these, equipped with an autoloader.

Britain Vickers 3-pdr (1.4 kg) [1.85"/50 (47 mm)] QF Marks I and II - NavWeaps - looks late Edwardian :)

MisterBoatMagazine guy seemed a little dismissive of the side-mounted twin Lewis guns.....but they were a notoriously accurate weapon ashore, which is why the SAS jeeps mounted them.

View attachment 466765

(I suspect in the AA role their primary purpose was to boost the crew's morale)

The boat which has been refurbished is one of the 'short' type.....later MTB's ( so designated regardless of their role ) were 115 feet overall.

Hazy memory tells me that some of the later MGB/MTBs were equipped with Quad MG mounts aft (?).
( this may be a Hollywood induced hallucination. )
I believe you are confusing Lewis guns with Vickers KO Guns. Both used a pan magazine but the Vickers ROF was in the area of 1,000rpm. the SAS had them as the guns were obsoleted when the RAF went to power turrets with .303 Colt Brownings, Stripped of the Cooling casing and radiator the Lewis could be mistaken during a quick glance

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just been on IWM web page, found these photos from Lowestoft during WW2.
First two pics are of the 50 cal Vickers in power turret, the last three are of the 57mm Molins gun and auto loader mount.View attachment 466904View attachment 466906View attachment 466907View attachment 466908View attachment 466909
Will scan in the pages tomorrow but by the end of the war they were armed with Molins 6pdrs fore and aft, A Twin Oerlikon in a MkV power mount, 2 single Oerlikon on Mk II mounts and multiple Twin Vickers K

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This is a subject I’d like to know a lot more about, as Lowestoft was HQ to the Royal Naval Patrol Service. One of my dreams is to go to sea on one of those restored Gunboats.
As most people know he IWM has photographs galore of the RNPS vessels.
Now the gun which was fitted to the bow of a lot of the later war boats, was the 57mm Molins gun in an auto loader powered mount. Same gun as fitted to the Mosquito XVlll in Coastal Command. Another favoured weapon mount was twin .50in Vickers machine guns, in a powered open top turret.
The Vickers .50s were swapped out for Oerlikons as the war progressed

Will scan in the pages tomorrow but by the end of the war they were armed with Molins 6pdrs fore and aft, A Twin Oerlikon in a MkV power mount, 2 single Oerlikon on Mk II mounts and multiple Twin Vickers K
That’s just about the set up of the big Farmile Boats and the Steam Boats?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That’s just about the set up of the big Farmile Boats and the Steam Boats?
Yeah that was the Ds, the SGBs had an aft 3", 2x 6pdrs fore and aft, 2xTwin Oerlikon fore and aft and 2x Twin Ks mounted on the bridge.

Last edited:

offog

LE
An MTB not a MGB but you get the flavour.

The info said it was made in 45.

Union Jack

Old-Salt
Another excellent book is "Gunboat Command", based on the diaries of Lieutenant Commander Robert Hichens DSO* DSC** RNVR, the most highly decorated RNVR officer in WWII, who also was awarded three MIDs, and was recommended for the award of the VC, but requested that this should not be pursued since he felt that he did not deserve it.

He died in action on the night of 12/13 April 1943, and his original unfinished account "We Fought Them in Gunboats" was published posthumously in 1944. His Wiki entry specifically mention that MGBs tended to be fitted with a mixture of weapons, including Lewis and Vickers machine guns, 20 mm Oerlikons, and four barrelled Boulton Paul turrets, before being standardised with two twin Vickers and an Oerlikon aft.

Jack

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
there y'go....Arrse nollidge once again comes the rescue of the OP :)

I spent a short while at sea in a 22 Metre patrol boat ...coastal passage between HMS Vernon and Poole. It did a mere 25 kts.

God knows what doing 30 plus knots , in the dark, off a hostile coast was like.
I believe going in it was 5-10 knots; coming out it was as fast as you ucking can.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
there y'go....Arrse nollidge once again comes the rescue of the OP :)

I spent a short while at sea in a 22 Metre patrol boat ...coastal passage between HMS Vernon and Poole. It did a mere 25 kts.

God knows what doing 30 plus knots , in the dark, off a hostile coast was like.
if you're in your late teens or early twenties, alternating tense patrols with occasionally getting to fire maximum dakka at the King's enemies... Scary but fighty.

after all, by 1942 or so Costly Farces was about the only place you'd get into a gun action with the enemy...

there were more important missions, but CF were part of why Axis shipping feared the night and why we owned the seas outside the enemy's breakwater.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I read somewhere, that the skippers were given a little bit of latitude, when it came to arming their boats.
Not really heard much about that, but if so might have just boiled down to hanging more Ks off pintles anywhere you could find space. Will find out.

There was a MGB chugging out of Dartmouth a few years ago,round the bay trips at about 25% full power.

An MTB not a MGB but you get the flavour.

The info said it was made in 45.
Fun fact - the "Broad 14s" are so named because the water is only 14 fathoms deep.

Makes modern navigation quite cheeky off the east coast, and bad weather positively dangerous.

tiv

War Hero
I believe you are confusing Lewis guns with Vickers KO Guns. Both used a pan magazine but the Vickers ROF was in the area of 1,000rpm. the SAS had them as the guns were obsoleted when the RAF went to power turrets with .303 Colt Brownings, Stripped of the Cooling casing and radiator the Lewis could be mistaken during a quick glance
That would be the Vickers Class K also known as the Vickers G.O. or Gas Operated based on the Vickers–Berthier LMG which in turn was based on the French Berthier.

daz

LE
Oh, and Portsmouth Historic Dockyard has some light craft moored there
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (1).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (4).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (6).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (10).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (11).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (12).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (14).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (16).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (17).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (19).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (21).jpg

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Light Craft  (25).jpg

I think it was Capt Jackie Broomes book on Naval signals,I read the following. A skein of MTBs roar passed a battleship in the English Channel, on the way to the French coast for the night. Battleship signals 'Good Luck' from its aldis lamp. The reply comes..'Actually We rely on skill'... ;) Another was,, Nighttime. A destroyer repeatedly challenges a MTB by lamp. After sometime finally gets a recognition signal from the MTB. The slightly cranky destroyer Captain signals..'Consider Yourself lucky. All My four inch guns are trained on You' The reply from the MTB ...'Consider Yourself lucky, I fired two torpedoes at You'.

The biggest gun fitted to Coastal Forces craft, although not until 1946 was the 4.5in 8cwt MkI, which was basically a sawn-off destroyer gun (hence the 8cwt barrel) in a Molins 6pdr mounting.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes, see above. Corrected at the third time of asking :)

My understanding was that the lighter weapons were whatever was available whether Vickers GO or Lewis plus whatever could be scrounged and bolted on to any spare space to maximise firepower.

At least some of the Boulton Paul turrets were provided IIRC from Defiants as these were taken out of services as fighters.

I'm open to being corrected from anyone with more knowledge.

Latest Threads