Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Motor Depot of the KRRC

Hi Everybody, I have just joined your site hoping someone may help me with a question about WW2.
I am trying to find out where my gt-uncle would have done his basic training. His Service Record shows he was called up in January 1940, embodied into the Kings Royal Rifles and posted to 'motor depot'. Some weeks later he was posted to '1st Motor Training Battalion'. Now, I have found out that the 1st Motor Training Battalion was based at Chisledon near Swindon. What I have been unable to find out is was the 'motor depot' a different place to the '1st Motor Training Battalion'? Presumably, as a newly conscripted recruit, he would have had to do some basic 'square-bashing' before being trained on motors.
I know it's a long time ago but any suggestions would be most welcome.

By the sounds of it, he'd done his basic training then was posted to the MT section/platoon then was sent for driver training shortly after.

I'm guessing The Rifle Depot, Peninsula Bks Winchester but will have a quick google search ..

There you go...and a mighty fine handsome Barracks it was too .... with boozers aplenty nearby including one just across the road for the use of the Training Team

Last edited:
2nd Battalion KRRC (a "motor battalion") was based at Tidworth (Assaye Barracks) before it left for Egypt in September 1941.

Last edited:

XPara Mugg

War Hero
When I was young I knew a man who served with them, Bert Hobbs played bflat bass in the local brass band. Bloody nearly as big as him, so when we marched he would play the bass drum.

I asked him what he did in the war. Answer: I walked up Italy turning over the top eighteen inches with a shovel.

I enquired about the meaning of 'Motorised'. Answer. Ahh. That was in the desert.

Apparently in North Africa it was a 30cwt per section. In Italy it was a 3ton per platoon.

"When we had the space, there was no loot. When there was loot, there was no space." He was from East London;)

A mighty fine handsome Barracks it was too, with boozers aplenty nearby including one just across the road for the use of the Training Team.

And mighty jealous they were of the privilege If I remember correctly. Cost me a run up the hill which my fellow Kamikaze only avoided by hiding in his locker.

And mighty jealous they were of the privilege If I remember correctly. Cost me a run up the hill which my fellow Kamikaze only avoided by hiding in his locker.

That's because you ignored the warning ....Fountain Head for you my son, - which had all the birds in anyway, West Gate for the Cpl's and above

The KRRC (and Rifle Brigade) provided 'Motor Battalions' to Armoured Brigades. These were motorised infantry - initially in 3-tonners or 30cwt trucks (1 per platoon), later 15cwt trucks (1 per section) and later still with armoured halftracks replacing the 15cwt trucks. They also had a large 'scout' component mounted in armoured tracked Carriers. I would therefore suggest that the 'motor' bit of the title refers to the regimental role rather than the MT Section.

Latest Threads