• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

ww2 medals

BFP your other posts all state that you want to join the Army, as such have some Respect for the person who originally EARNED the medals and didnt have to BUY them. Return them to the rightful owner or NoK. Whatever amount of cash you paid from them will never be as much as the self-respect you will earn by doing the right thing. You may even gain a little respect from soldiers you may one day serve beside.

im not trying to be funny but i payed £60 quid for them with the intention of selling them on i have a bit of militaria from ww2 (medals kit ect) and these medals are just part of my collection which i am selling on.

p.s i did not HAVE to buy them i just wanted to make a little money and saw these medals quite cheep and thought i could make a profit

G

GLESGA-NED

baldy_fudge_packer said:
Nope there going on eBay and they have more value if you add info on the serviceman :D (I would give them back but i payed for them ages ago)
Are you trying to get a heated reaction???

baldy_fudge_packer said:
im not trying to be funny but i payed £60 quid for them with the intention of selling them on i have a bit of militaria from ww2 (medals kit ect) and these medals are just part of my collection which i am selling on.

p.s i did not HAVE to buy them i just wanted to make a little money and saw these medals quite cheep and thought i could make a profit
I would have thought that at that price, you could have traced the owner or his family, handed said medals over and gained a bit of respect from members of this site and from future colleagues. £60 is hardly going to break the bank, is it? Plus it would be for a better reason than lining your pockets. Cue the warm, fluffy feeling of doing something for someone else, not because you have to, but because you want to.

Good, balanced, snctimonious colaptrap as always anticipated. Collecting medals - including buying and selling them - is not an affront to all honest-to-god servicemen.

If it wasn't for Lord Ashcroft there would be a load of VCs that have been sold by the families of, or by the recipients themselves to ease hard times, which would be swilling their way around the USA or elsewhere. They have been saved for the country by him. See here.

and:

It is reported in the Australian press that Keith Payne has sold his Victoria Cross group of 23 medals for an undisclosed amount to Maryborough Military and Colonial Museum. "It was a hard call to make but I felt the time was right," said the 74 year old former professional soldier. The main reason for selling the VC was to provide security for his family; Flo, his wife of 53 years, their five sons, 14 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. The reason for selling to Maryborough Museum ahead of other buyers was equally heartfelt. Born and raised in Ingham and now living in Mackay, Mr.Payne was determined that his VC stay in Queensland. "I was in the army 19 years before I saw a Victoria Cross for the first time and that was when the Queen gave me mine," he said. In all, he received 23 medals for service in Korea, Malaya and Vietnam.
Get over yourselves.

Once you've found out the serviceman's details, how about contacting his Regt/Corps museum. They may buy them off you for a small price.

Not the best outcome for you, but at least you'll be keeping the well earned medals in public circulation for all to see, rather than selling them to a private collector where they'll never be seen again.

But remember, this chap may still have a wife or relatives alive and they may appreciate your kind donation.

baldy_fudge_packer said:

You did have to buy them. They weren't issued to you, they weren't given to you as a nice little pressie from someone. You paid £60 for them , hence you bought them.

what we talking here,, victory, defence and a few stars,,,dont think the imperial war museums going to rush for those,,,i bet they arnt even named,, just the cardboard box..ask the family first if they are interested,,,
it was prob them that stuck them on ebay in the first place,, modern families i find arnt interested in grandads gongs any more,,,its a shame but thats,, the new great britain for you.better a wide screen tv than a set of medals in a frame on the wall.

I think everyone is missing a fundamental point, these medals are not something found or come by dishonestly. They may have been disposed of by ungrateful grand-children and found their way to BFP via a dealer. So giving them back is just encouraging them to sell them again!

They could of course also have been stolen by someone. I think if I was in BFP's shoes I might drop a line to the address and mention that I had acquired them. This then allows the family to acquire them at a mutually agreeable price should they want them, or to cry "Here they went missing when Grandad was in the care-home/boozer/tatos deep in granny" and enable the thing to be put right.

I think we should not execute BFP just yet. However BFP should take advantage of this stay to see if there is a "right thing" that can in fact be done.

Edited because Naturally Speaking sometimes puts synonyms in to cause maximum disgrace to educated people!!

There you have it. The wisdom of fecking Solomon or what! March out!

saintstone said:
baldy_fudge_packer said:

I would have thought that at that price, you could have traced the owner or his family, handed said medals over and gained a bit of respect from members of this site and from future colleagues. £60 is hardly going to break the bank, is it? Plus it would be for a better reason than lining your pockets. Cue the warm, fluffy feeling of doing something for someone else, not because you have to, but because you want to.
Can you guarantee that he wouldn't be giving the medals back to someone who'd sold them in the first place because the76y don't hold the recipients service in any respect and would just sell them on again. All medals aren't on the market because the recipient was hard up , most in fact are sold to house clearanc efirms because they are of no emotional value to the recipient's descendants . Possibly whoever buys them will honour them more than the original seller.

jon752 said:
Are you going to sell them?
No I won't sell them, they are for my collection. Personal goal is to get hold of one ww1 victory medal of each allied nation and then frame them as a rememberance of what's happenned. If I do ever lose interest (I doubt it I used t get miniature medals as a 5 year old to collect) then I will pass it on to a museum probably. I'd like to think that they would be passed to my children however.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Purely out of curiosity, but which medals were they? Are any of them named and numbered?
Some of mine are names and numbered. Some aren't. Yes I'm fuelling a trade though I would rather peple like me collect them than some cock who will buy them, sell them on and off we go.

I have a VC in my family, my cousin holds it, I will kill him before it is ever put on the market.

Latest Threads