• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

WW2 medals

Hi all,

I'm after some advice. My wife's family have come into possession of a relatives medals. They have hardly ever been out of the packet and are in new untouched condition.
I'm not sure what they might be worth (if anything) or who/where might be interested. The relative was RE and come with pictures and other bits and pieces.

Won't let me post pictures.
The medals are
1939-45 star
Africa star with 1st army clasp
Italy star
Defence medal
War medal 1939-45

I've just done a bit of googling by searching the net using the term 'medal dealers'. This chucked up a list of firms that sell (and presumably buy) medals.
Sadly, all the medals that you've listed seem to be on sale for (on average) between £10 and £15 each. I suspect that if you offered them for sale to a medal dealer, you might get £3 - £5 per medal, depending on condition.
If you want to sell them, search for medal dealers in your area, see what sort of prices they're asking and then put yours up for sale on something like eBay.
Hope this helps.

Don't sell 'em - if they're a relatives medals, albeit unnamed, once they're gone they're gone.

Valuation about of circa £50 is about right - unless it was a VC group that could deliver a life changing amount of cash I'd be tempted to hold on.

I've always wanted to know what my dad's group of ten would be worth. Don't want to sell 'em, it'd just be nice though, if they had some monetary value.

if anybody's interested

@Taffd. Fascinating slide show. Tales to tell, sincerely hope they were told and you have them in your head if not written down for the next generation.

edit to add: ...and beyond.

Nice group of naval medals

£300-£400 depending on rank and ships

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting, many thanks.

As I understand it, my take on Changi Prison inmates was erroneous and stems from my interpretation of what my dad told me when I was little. It was the only thing I remembered about him on the day he died.

Turns out that there was nowhere else that was safe for them so soon after liberation. I was slagged down by a woman from the Changi Prisoners Association when I first posted said memory online, who insisted that they had it easy.

What the actual truth is, I don't know.

Thanks again.

I love the idea of jumping on to the flight deck and stopping an Auster by hand. I think its stalling speed is something like 50 or 60 mph - on to a carrier steaming into wind that would be just about possible I guess, but huge respect both to pilot and handlers.

@Taffd. Fascinating slide show. Tales to tell, sincerely hope they were told and you have them in your head if not written down for the next generation.

edit to add: ...and beyond.
I did have it posted on a site I used to have, including phots of Japanese surrender signals that went round the fleet. Unfortunately, everything was stored on a long gone computermachine.

I love the idea of jumping on to the flight deck and stopping an Auster by hand. I think its stalling speed is something like 50 or 60 mph - on to a carrier steaming into wind that would be just about possible I guess, but huge respect both to pilot and handlers.
My dad was one of the first Aircraft Handlers, I think. On that occasion there was no SOP, not sure it had ever happened before. It was, after much discussion, decided that, 'When I say go, we'll all just run out and grab it'.

And that's exactly what happened.

Trilby

Clanker
Book Reviewer
Hi all,

I'm after some advice. My wife's family have come into possession of a relatives medals. They have hardly ever been out of the packet and are in new untouched condition.
I'm not sure what they might be worth (if anything) or who/where might be interested. The relative was RE and come with pictures and other bits and pieces.
I collect and research medals in a small way, albeit exclusively WW1 these days. From my limited experience of WW2 medals, £50 seems about right as a base price, although the fact that the Africa Star still has its clasp should have a positive effect on the price. Having the related ephemera, especially if it gives sufficient information to identify the recipient and his unit, and research his service will also help, and I wouldn't be surprised if it added 50% to the value. [ETA: sale direct to a collector; dealers would offer significantly less.]

I can share details of dealers I have previously used in London, South Wales, Manchester, Merseyside and Northumberland and Kent if that might be of use?

Last edited:
I am only basing £50 on the eBay sales I have seen and those had 8th army clasps

A dealer will offer you £20-£30 as they will want a profit

You may make more selling on eBay especially if you sell with related paperwork but what you will get is nothing what he went through in the war.

I would personally keep them to pass down to future generations.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
I've always wanted to know what my dad's group of ten would be worth. Don't want to sell 'em, it'd just be nice though, if they had some monetary value.

if anybody's interested
That's really, really nice, that is. What's the beautiful music you set it to, if you don't mind me asking?

MsG

Trilby

Clanker
Book Reviewer
I am only basing £50 on the eBay sales I have seen and those had 8th army clasps

A dealer will offer you £20-£30 as they will want a profit

You may make more selling on eBay especially if you sell with related paperwork but what you will get is nothing what he went through in the war.

I would personally keep them to pass down to future generations.

Yes, I should have said that the values I was suggesting were for a sale to a collector, not dealers' prices. The prices realised on eBay are very variable - £30, £47 and £87 are the ones I spotted after a quick search of the term "1st Army Bar". Of those, only the last had any related ephemera with it, which may or may not be significant.

I also would favour keeping them (all of the medals in my family, except my Great-Grandfather's Indian Army Temperance Association 1911 Coronation Medal, disappeared long ago).

That's really, really nice, that is. What's the beautiful music you set it to, if you don't mind me asking?

MsG
It's called Evening Star and it's by Enya. Written for the first Lord of the Rings film I believe. I thought it suited the video just right.

Although it's copyright and Youtube cancelled out the sound for a time, whoever owned the rights must have said it was ok to use because it was reinstated within a couple of days. For which I'm grateful.

On the subject of selling medals, Mrs Devex and I have decided the impending (ie TODAY!!!) 25th anniversary of our nuptuals (how the f*ck I have not ended up under the patio I do not know) is a good point to update our wills. I have a great granddad's original WW1 set of two medals, cap badge and Silver War Badge, my Dad's TD and my own rack (nothing special but I earned 'em) and I'm having it written in that these can never be sold and must be kept in the family. I don't know why, it just seems important to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dropshortjock Weapons, Equipment & Rations 5
Rodney2q Medals 29
Condottiere Old & Bold 11