WW2 medal order for mounting

Hi guys , was hoping for some expert advice from you guys who know better than anyone else

I'm mounting my Fathers WW2 medals and want to ensure that I get them in the correct order.

Here's the list of the medals
List of medals

1939- 1945 Star
Atlantic Star
War medal 1939 -1945
Africa star
Italy Star
Long service & good conduct medal ( petty officers medal )
Arctic Star
Russian convoy medal
Ushakov medal

Can anyone assist me with this information.
Many thanks and best regards
Alan

1939/45 Star
Atlantic Star
Arctic Star
Africa Star
Italy Star
War Medal
LSGC

Russian convoy medal
Ushakov medal
Not sure if permission has been granted for wear or whether it's just permission for acceptance. If they are to be mounted for wear then they should be after the LSGC or they should be separately mounted.

Did your dad not also qualify for the Defence Medal? If so it should go after the Italy Star and before the War Medal.
that medal group just shouts RN and a lot of sea going RN personnel didn't qualify for the Defence Medal as they spent to much time operational, it was for at least 6 months non operational service in the UK the majority of qualifying service for the defence medal required 18 months non operational service in the UK,

Gents many thanks for your excellent information in rapid fashion , brilliant assistance and advice from all , I can start put the medals together now

Thanks again gentlemen

Best regards
Alan Niven

HLI wasn't he to start with?
Yes. Resigned his commission to concentrate on acting. Apparently by sending a telegram to his CO from Hollywood saying "Dear Colonel. I resign. Niven." Then came back to the UK in 1940 and joined the Rifle Brigade.

Sorry Alan. Apologies for thread drift! That's quite a rack your old man had. Bloody lucky to make it through!

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Gents many thanks for your excellent information in rapid fashion , brilliant assistance and advice from all , I can start put the medals together now

Thanks again gentlemen

Best regards
Alan Niven
Do you need them mounting professionally?

I might know a guy...

Ah you've done it now.

The 2nd Bn ARRSEratti, Geek Coy, Tropper 66 Pl will be along shortly to quote regulation, chapter & verse at us for not overlapping...
There's 8 medals in that group - you do know that they should be overlapped?

*snigger*

Now, that's a nice set: not often you see a Burma Star splitting an Africa Star and an Italy Star?

Not an RN group?
At a guess I'd say 7th Armd Bde. 2 RTR or 7th Hussars?

[anorak]

Interesting. Obviously, there's a lot of sea service in there, but what is interesting is the inclusion of a Defence Medal. Most RN/RM groups of the period are missing that one, as (for RN, certainly) they were mostly at sea and didn't qualify.

Having said that, geographical locations other than Home Service (Ceylon, fr'instance) would earn a qualification to the DM.

[/anorak]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Zag42 Medals 34
F Medals 23
dance_with_the_devil Weapons, Equipment & Rations 35