WW2 Medal Order for Court Mounting.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by dance_with_the_devil, Sep 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Fellow Arrsers,
    As the time is approaching fast for this years Remembrance services, I am in the position to get my late Grand Fathers WW2 Medals Re-ribboned and Court Mounted.
    The quandry is the internet is good for pictures and places to get them mounted but i am unable to get the right mounting sequence etc.

The medals are as follows :

War Medal 39 to 45
    Defence Medal
    France & Germany Star
    Italy Star
    Burma Star
    Africa Star
    1939 to 45 Star

Your help in arranging the right order would be much appreciated.

Devil :twisted:

2. This might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_campaign_medals

"During World War II (1939–1945) the following were issued (with authorised Clasp or Emblem (if awarded) in brackets) - the first ten are listed in the authorised Order of Wearing..."

So, assuming Wikipedia is correct (stranger things have happened), your order is:

39-45 Star
    Africa
    Burma
    Italy
    France/Germany
    Defence Medal
    War Medal

3. They can't all be worn at once. There is a maximum number of stars allowed (three if I remember correctly). Other campaigns are denoted be bars on the stars worn.

4. What's this then:

http://www.museumofworldwarii.com/Images2005/12MontPhotolge.gif

Are you sure you're not referring to the 1914 and the 1914-15 Stars, which cannot be awarded together?

5. War Medal 39 to 45
    Defence Medal
    France & Germany Star
    Italy Star
    Burma Star
    Africa Star
    1939 to 45 Star

Hmmm...that is a suspiciously large number of campaign stars; but five stars was the maximum you could have been awarded. Bit like a Travel lodge :)

The possibilities of sub-combinations are not impossible at all though curious and rare. Africa and Burma - seen those. Seen Italy and Burma together too. However Africa, Burma, Italy and France & Germany together? You would need Thomas Cook's best brains to organise the travel between theatres to get that chestful legitimately!

What service/regiment was the grandfather in?? I'm not saying it isn't kosher but if it is, it is definitely an unusual group indeed.

6. No, I did mean WWII stars, it just seems that I got the total number allowed wrong.

7. Five stars or five total stars plus bars could be awarded, btw. So a really busy war would have meant a total permissible of seven (if you qualified for 39-45, Defence and War Medals.

If anyone is interested, I keep this sh1tye in my fore-brain to help forget how dull real life is!

8. More than possible. Starts in Africa, qualifies for 39/45 Star, Africa Star, Defence Medal and War Medal, then serves in Italy. Takes part in D Day or thereafter and then is sent out to the Far East as many were towards the latter part of 1945.

Unusual but possible.

9. Actually I think you will find the figure 5 only relates to the stars. There are documented groups containing five stars plus other clasps, making a total of seven issued.

MM

10. Agreed. I used to know a lovely old boy (sadly no longer with us) who served with the Cheshire's whose war service was exactly as you described above MittMayo. He arrived in Burma for the last weeks of hostilities - however I don't think he was demobbed until the end of 1946.

11. Eight different stars were issued for the Second World War. It was decided that the maximum number of starts that could be earned by any one person was five, while those who qualified for more received a clasp to be sown on the ribband of the appropriate star. Only one clasp per ribband was permitted which was the first to be earned after qualifying for the star. Thus the stars could bear the following clasps:

1. 1939-14 Star - i. Battle of Britain
    2. Atlantic Star - ii. Air Crew Europe or iii. France and Germany
    3. Air Crew Europe - iv. Atlantic or iii. France and Germany
    4. Africa Star - v. North Africa 1942-43, vi. 8th Army or vii. 1st Army
    5. Pacific Star - viii. Burma
    6. Burma Star - xv. Pacific
    7. Italy Star - None
    8. France and Germany Star - x. Atlantic

The ribbands are believed to has been designed by King George VI personally and have symbolic significance in each case.

When ribbands are worn, the clasp is usually denoted by a silver rosette, However, the Battle of Britain clasp is represented by a gilt rosette and the 8th Army and 1st Army clasps by small silver numerals.

The Defence Medal awarded for:

1. Three years service at home.
    2. One years service in a non-operational area (e.g. India)
    3. Six months service overseas in territories subject to air attack or otherwise closely threatend.

Personnel of AA Command, RAF ground crews, dominion forces stationed in the UK, the Home Guard, Civil Defence, National Fire Service and many other civilians qualified for this award.

The War Medal 1939-45 awarded to:

1. All fulltime personnel of the armed forces wherever they were serving so long as they had served at least 28 days between 3 Sep 39 and 2 Sep 45.
    2. A few civilians, such as war correspondents and ferry pilots who whad flown in operational theatres also qualified.
    3. No claps were issued, but a bronze oakleaf denoted an MiD.

So if anyone is still awake, the maximum nuber of stars is 5 and they will almost always have the Defence and War Medals too.

12. Thanks for the input so far, having trawled Wiki and a few other sites i think i have nailed it.

Many Thanks

D.

13. No, the maximum award of stars and clasps permitted is five. t
    This is made clear on the little pamphlet that WW2 medal recipients found in their wee brown cardboard box with their medals and clasps. With one exception, where a sixth can be awarded. I could leave you hanging on this...but the clasp which allowed in addition to the five maximum is the Battle of Britain clasp for the 39-45 Star.

14. I don't have to worry, I'm a member of the "one gong club"!! Can't find that either!!

15. Sorry, you are wrong, many examples of where this is not the case.

The 5 Stars was to save cost, hence the clasps. What you are saying is that someone culd have served in a 'war zone' and received no recognition at all?

MM