WW2 medal card index help

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by brettarider, Jul 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone with access to the WW2 medal card index be able to help me out? Currently helping a pensioner peice together her dad's service. We know he was RA from only picture of him in the army she found last year other than that she knows nothing else. He lost both his legs and spent time on the Erskine estate before dying in his 30's due to complications of his injuries.

Name James Simpson DOB 16-01-1915

I'm sure he would have had the 39-45 medal for starters any chance someone can look and see if he had campaign medals?
  2. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

I'm afraid the medal index you are thinking of is for WW1, there isn't one for WW2. You need to go direct to the MoD for any service records etc after 1920. See here service records sar form requests
  3. Cheers SS,
    Did direct her to the service records website but she's finding it a bit confusing to work out. Have also told her to enquire at Erskine hospital in case they still have his details on record.
  4. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

This is the page with the required forms on https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

She needs to send both the "Request for Service personnel details: next of kin form (v6)" and the "Request for Service personnel details: British Army part 2" and after that it should hopefully be straightforward. She'll have to pay £30 (unless his wife had already died at the time of his death) and provide a copy of his death certificate.