Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read a book as I occasionally do. It is called "Servants of Evil" and is recollections of WW2 by the ordinary German Army/Airforce/Navy bods.

Two things I read in it had me wondering, one German guy mentions the use of helicopters by the allies and in another section it mentions that the Germans had night vision equipment.

I know the Germans experimented with a tethered type of helicopter from a U-Boat to try and spot surface ships but did anyone really have and use helicopters in World War Two? Isn't there one featured in a film like "Where Eagles Dare" or similar, a Sioux if I am not mistaken? Did anyone have night vision equipment at the same time?

I must admit I picked a few faults with this book and thought it was sloppy research or maybe something was lost in translation but I am curious.

It is also quite surprising to read that some ex German servicemen were still of the opinion that the war wasn't their fault? Ah but you declared war on us! they say. Sorry mate, next time you can invade Poland, France, Holland, Austria and all the other countries that I can't spell and we will sit by and let you get on with it.
  2. The Allies & the Axis had helicopters in late WW2, but they were under development, had piston engines and weren't very effective.

There were gyro-copters around, probably since the 30s The rotors weren't powered and they couldn't hover. The U-boat 'helicopter' was a gyro-copter kite It had no engine
  3. Some Mk V Panther Tanks had Infra Red night vision kit.

Hanna Reich, the test pilot demonstrated a helicoper indoors at a pre war exibition, taking off inside the exhibition hall and flyiong around inside The Germans did mount what is probably the first mountain rescue by helicopter durign WW2. I canl;t remember the exact details but I think an aircraft crashed in the austrian alps and a helicopter recovered the crew.
  4. The first recorded helicopter casulty evacuation was performed by an R-4 in Burma. There is footage of it that I saw many moons ago on "Reaching for the Skies". BTW does anybody know if that series is out on DVD?
  5. Germans had a prototypr helo running in '44, I think. Never used operationally. Post WW2, USA were field leaders - Sikorski - escaped concentration camps? was big brain.

Piston-driven helis persisted into late 60s (pa-in law was RAF wessex engineer in Borneo)

Wehrmacht Night Vision: never heard of it. Infra-red and goggles? Maybe.

Night vis didn't really begin to happen until the late 60s.
  6. Igor Sikorsky; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Sikorsky

"After World War I, Sikorsky briefly became an engineer for the French forces in Russia during the Russian Civil War. Seeing little opportunity for himself as an aircraft designer in war-torn Europe (and particularly Russia, ravaged by the October Revolution and Civil War), he emigrated to the United States in 1919"

German Night vision in WW2;

7. Yeah the Germans did have a night capability for the Panther - look on LineDoggie's link! There was also another fitting for a large IR searchlight mounted on a half-track called the Uhu.
  8. I've even seen photos of a sten fitted with infra-red night vision, so it wasn't only the Germans who had it.
  9. The germans had a set up called the Vampyr mounted on a few MP44 assault rifles
    [​IMG] :)
  10. Omaha Beach museum ( the one up the hill in the Nissen hut type building) has a WW11 night vision device on display.
    May have a photo somewhere but suspect the former Mrs Jagman deleted it, will try to find it though.
  11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

See link - 1936 helicopter indoors 8) , albeit with limited capabilities.

Sorry about the model-maker's background on this link, but they're certainly sticklers for detail (and glue, and very small thingies).
  12. Looks like the 'Gyrocopter' from Mad Max 2
  13. I remember reading about snipers who used infra-red scopes in WW2