WW2 in the Far East

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Jacques_Bustard, Apr 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bernard Fergusson, Beyond the Chindwin, 1962. Excellent book
  2. Road of Bones by Fergal Keane; decent account of the siege of Kohima.
  3. Defeat into Victory - Field Marshall Slim
    Nemesis - Max Hastings
  4. Oliver Lindsay At the Going Down of the Sun, Hong Kong and South-East Asia, 1941-1945
    Eric Lomax The Railway Man
    Alistair Urquhart The Forgotten Highlander
    Lord Russell of Liverpool The Knights of Bushido

That should keep you busy for a few days.
  5. If you or anyone else gets a chance go to the cemetery at Kanchanaburi in Thailand. I've no idea how prisoners worked in that heat.
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The Forgotten Fleet - John Winton
  7. Nine great suggestions in 10 mins, cheers chaps.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Lots where to start really, I am blessed with a good local library especially as I'm too skint to buy another book case!
  9. An interesting personal story - The Jungle is Neutral by F. Spencer Chapman.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. strange that this thread popped up today....as on wednesday and thursday 25/26 April we had several Kohima vets in the mess in York...On the 26 April there was a service at York Minster in memorium of the battle of Kohima - very emotional.

the vets i chatted with were amazing in the stories that they told us, one vet Capt john skeene (surname spelling?) had over 40 confirmed kills all in the head - this was because the nips were using bamboo ladders to scale up to them, as they popped up he shot them. Another vet told us about the dead japs believing that to enter heaven there body had to be complete - so they removed the jap heads and mixed them up!...
  11. another interesting personal story "My war in SOE" by Harry Verlander - first half of the book covers France and second half Burma
  12. Think there is a review on here somewhere about the Forgotten Highlander.
    Met the man last year. Very humble and brave man. Fascinating book and I would recommend it. Written as he saw it, not after any political or military kudos or legacy. Just a young jock, embittered by his experience.

The railway man is being filmed in Edinburgh soon with Colin Firth as Eric Lomax & Nicole Kidman as his wife.