WW2 in the Far East

I recently read this article

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | History and Honour | Veterans remember World War Two Kohima battle

It got me thinking how little I know about the battles we and our allies fought against the Japanese (I've spent far too long reading about the European campaign against the Germans). Can anyone recommend any good books on the war in the Far East, particularly on the British contribution?

Thanks
Bernard Fergusson, Beyond the Chindwin, 1962. Excellent book

Oliver Lindsay At the Going Down of the Sun, Hong Kong and South-East Asia, 1941-1945
Eric Lomax The Railway Man
Alistair Urquhart The Forgotten Highlander
Lord Russell of Liverpool The Knights of Bushido

That should keep you busy for a few days.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
If you or anyone else gets a chance go to the cemetery at Kanchanaburi in Thailand. I've no idea how prisoners worked in that heat.
ImageUploadedByARRSE1335626380.126558.jpg

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The Forgotten Fleet - John Winton

ugly

LE
Lots where to start really, I am blessed with a good local library especially as I'm too skint to buy another book case!

strange that this thread popped up today....as on wednesday and thursday 25/26 April we had several Kohima vets in the mess in York...On the 26 April there was a service at York Minster in memorium of the battle of Kohima - very emotional.

the vets i chatted with were amazing in the stories that they told us, one vet Capt john skeene (surname spelling?) had over 40 confirmed kills all in the head - this was because the nips were using bamboo ladders to scale up to them, as they popped up he shot them. Another vet told us about the dead japs believing that to enter heaven there body had to be complete - so they removed the jap heads and mixed them up!...

another interesting personal story "My war in SOE" by Harry Verlander - first half of the book covers France and second half Burma

Oliver Lindsay At the Going Down of the Sun, Hong Kong and South-East Asia, 1941-1945

Think there is a review on here somewhere about the Forgotten Highlander.
Met the man last year. Very humble and brave man. Fascinating book and I would recommend it. Written as he saw it, not after any political or military kudos or legacy. Just a young jock, embittered by his experience.

The railway man is being filmed in Edinburgh soon with Colin Firth as Eric Lomax & Nicole Kidman as his wife.

The Highlander one is tops...the KOTB is filled with examples of what the Jap cnuts did.....evil little feckers with not much compassion.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Try Japan's War by Edwin Hoyt. It describes the strategic aspects of the war as seen from a Japanese perspective.

It's slightly heavy going, but it does try to put Japan's actions into their full historical context. For example the book starts in 1853 when Japan was forcibly opened up to the wider world by Commodore Perry. It makes no attempt to gloss over Japanese barbarity, but it does try and explain the Japanese mindset that allowed them to behave in such a manner.

The Japanese drive for supremacy in the far east has surprisingly deep roots - this book certainly opened my eyes as to how long back the Japanese had been trying to build their empire and grab resources.

Wordsmith

If you or anyone else gets a chance go to the cemetery at Kanchanaburi in Thailand. I've no idea how prisoners worked in that heat.
View attachment 73502
Another war cemetary to visit is the Kranji War Cemetary located in Kranji, Singapore. I visited it in paying my respects to the members of Operation Rimau led by Lieutenant Colonel Ivan Lyon a British officer on secondment from the Gordon Highlanders, who are buried there.

Operation Rimau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia