WW2 Graves Desecrated

#1
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...rn_Frances_Pas-de-Calais_Region_Is_Desecrated

Vandals have desecrated a British World War I cemetery in northeastern France's Pas-de-Calais region.



They daubed 12 soldiers' graves with pink swastikas and other Nazi signs.

France's President Nicolas Sarkozy condemned the attack in a letter to the Queen.

Mr Sarkozy expressed "indignation and consternation", branding the desecrations "all the more revolting" since they came a week before he visits London for a commemoration of French wartime resistance.



"I condemn with the greatest firmness this horrible act and ask you to pass on my feelings of sympathy and solidarity, and those of the French people, to the families concerned and to all of the British people," Mr Sarkozy wrote.

The cemetery in the town of Loos-en-Gohelle holds the remains of more than 2,000 British and Canadian soldiers who died while fighting in an October 1915 battle there.

The graves are believed to have been vandalised overnight.



Police said they found swastikas and other graffiti including "SS" and the word "sex" in pink paint on a dozen graves of British soldiers

France's minister for veterans, Hubert Falco slammed the actions as "an insult to the memory" of the soldiers and an "insult to France".

John Kipling, the son of British writer Rudyard Kipling, was among those who died in the battle when he was 18. His grave was not touched.
 
#2
Isn't Income Tax paid to fund campaigns against those garlic munching hairy pitted soap dodgers?

Income Tax was announced in 1798, and introduced in 1799, as a means of paying for the war against the French forces under Napoleon. France was threatening to invade, and had already landed briefly in Wales and Ireland. For much of his campaigns from 1795, Napoleon was better organised than the British forces. The cost of war had drained Britain’s resources, and run up a considerable national debt. The army was starving, and poor conditions in the navy in 1797 had led to mutiny.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/history/taxhis1.htm
 
#4
fcuking kunts
 
#5
drone said:
Isn't Income Tax paid to fund campaigns against those garlic munching hairy pitted soap dodgers?

Income Tax was announced in 1798, and introduced in 1799, as a means of paying for the war against the French forces under Napoleon. France was threatening to invade, and had already landed briefly in Wales and Ireland. For much of his campaigns from 1795, Napoleon was better organised than the British forces. The cost of war had drained Britain’s resources, and run up a considerable national debt. The army was starving, and poor conditions in the navy in 1797 had led to mutiny.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/history/taxhis1.htm
Yawn. It never takes long does it? The French government seems every bit as angry about this and is sorting the mess rather faster than graffiti that hits some of the memorials in the UK. Don't measure a country by the shallow end of its gene pool
 
#6
Bloody ungrateful cheese eating surrender monkeys!

Ebay advert:

"French army rifle for sale. Never fired. Dropped once"
 
#7
ONE brainless spotty french 'erbert with a spray can.... unfortunate... but we have towns FULL of British versions of this type of idiot who would probably kick the headstones over without a second thought........

What the French, Belgian and Dutch towns do for OUR past fallen FAR outweighs anything that has happened here.....

The war graves in France, where hundreds of schoolchildren turn out annually at remembrance services and the cemetaries are immaculate gardens, is what makes this shocking and a 'story'....

The War Graves we have here in our own country sometimes resemble paupers graves in comparison....
 
#8
oldnotbold said:
drone said:
Isn't Income Tax paid to fund campaigns against those garlic munching hairy pitted soap dodgers?

Income Tax was announced in 1798, and introduced in 1799, as a means of paying for the war against the French forces under Napoleon. France was threatening to invade, and had already landed briefly in Wales and Ireland. For much of his campaigns from 1795, Napoleon was better organised than the British forces. The cost of war had drained Britain’s resources, and run up a considerable national debt. The army was starving, and poor conditions in the navy in 1797 had led to mutiny.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/history/taxhis1.htm
Yawn. It never takes long does it? The French government seems every bit as angry about this and is sorting the mess rather faster than graffiti that hits some of the memorials in the UK. Don't measure a country by the shallow end of its gene pool

I didn't, I looked at their history as well.
 
#9
Unfortunately, this happens all too often, to both military and civilian cemeteries and churches. In 2008, in France, 266 Christian religious buildings were desecrated, from graffitis to arson as well as 6 jewish and 13 moslem sites.

In 84% of the solved cases, the people responsible were under 18 of age and incapable of motivating the reasons for their acts.

For a list of the desecrated sites:

http://indignations.org/profanations/

For other examples of recent such stupidities in French or German cemeteries located in France:

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/223...e-plus-de-170-tombes-musulmanes-profanees.php

(170 moslem military tombs in 2008 near Arras)

http://fr.novopress.info/59259/alsace-profanation-d’un-cimetiere-militaire-franco-allemand/

(about 100 French and German tombs desecrated in Alsace last month)
 
#10
Every one of you w4nkers who flipped the default French bashing button - can I suggest you spend some time in these French battlefields and you might understand that Jean Publique actually "gets" our sacrifice far better than the majority of the UK population, even with half a dozen English soccer flags on their white vans?
 
#11
Cuddles said:
Every one of you w4nkers who flipped the default French bashing button - can I suggest you spend some time in these French battlefields and you might understand that Jean Publique actually "gets" our sacrifice far better than the majority of the UK population, even with half a dozen English soccer flags on their white vans?

Disagree, having got a close friend that lives amongst the arrogant surrender monkeys, they don't give a crossways shit and hate us with as a passion. I can generalise as well as you can.
 

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
I'm with Cuddles on this one.

The French deeply appreciate the men and women who fought in France.
 
#13
Bored teenagers, it has happened before. Please do not generalise.

The French attach much more importance to commemoration and remembrance than many British. Nearly every week of the year there is an event somewhere in France commemorating the sacrifice of the British, be it a WW1 battle or a downed WWII aircrew. There are many individual graves and memorials throughout France carefully tended by municipalities or individuals. They do not forget what they owe to Britain and her allies. Schoolchildren are taught the legacy of sacrifice.

Stop bashing the French. It is extremely tedious.
 
#14
Im also agreeing with Cuddles, the cemetries are beautifully kept, and the locals to the battlefields will always go out of their way to assist those who are visiting the battlefields and cemetries. They treat the sacrifice of all countries (they aren't just British war graves) with the utmost respect and honour.
 
B

Bottleosmoke

Guest
#16
fairmaidofperth said:
Bored teenagers, it has happened before. Please do not generalise.

The French attach much more importance to commemoration and remembrance than many British. Nearly every week of the year there is an event somewhere in France commemorating the sacrifice of the British, be it a WW1 battle or a downed WWII aircrew. There are many individual graves and memorials throughout France carefully tended by municipalities or individuals. They do not forget what they owe to Britain and her allies. Schoolchildren are taught the legacy of sacrifice.

Stop bashing the French. It is extremely tedious.
What she said.

I am sure we all have our fair share of little scrotes where we all live. It doesnt make it any different just because they are French. Unless they knock us out in the world cup of course........................
 
#17
drone said:
A lot of generalisation in support of the French here.
Absolutely not, experience mate! Have you visited any memorials or attended any commemorations here in France?
 
#18
fairmaidofperth said:
drone said:
A lot of generalisation in support of the French here.
Absolutely not, experience mate! Have you visited any memorials or attended any commemorations here in France?

Yes.

I noticed that the French en-masse were absent.

This thread seems to have the French are food British are bad all over it!

My experience is different, does that make it less valid?

I am guessing someone is about to tell me that it was British hoodlums that desecrated those graves?
 
#19
drone said:
fairmaidofperth said:
drone said:
A lot of generalisation in support of the French here.
Absolutely not, experience mate! Have you visited any memorials or attended any commemorations here in France?

Yes.

I noticed that the French en-masse were absent.

This thread seems to have the French are food British are bad all over it!

My experience is different, does that make it less valid?

I am guessing someone is about to tell me that it was British hoodlums that desecrated those graves?
No, you are a fucking idiot with a point to push. Jean Pierre does not go around being a gay nazi.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#20
drone said:
I am guessing someone is about to tell me that it was British hoodlums that desecrated those graves?
I'm guessing that someone is about to tell you that it was undoubtedly the work of the French equivalent of schemies but that the French moved quickly and respectfully to remove the damage.

Where you draw the inference that this a wider failing in the French people as a whole baffles me.

If push comes to shove I'd listen to FMoP who lives there and is likely to have an understanding of the French mentality towards commemoration rather than yourself and your bigotry.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top