WW2 FW190 Found. Fake or Real?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by righthandmarker, Jan 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This film is about 20 years old!

The 190 concerned I believe is now with Paul Allen of Microsoft It is very very real. I know, I've touched it :D
    It was in such good condition the tyres still held pressure, and the POL tests showed that the oil and fuel could have been used again.

The Pilot went E+E but is still listed as missing.
  2. The year before last they found a Sunderland about 50 mtrs from the shore in Milford Haven only about 20 mtrs from the dredged channel, It was just forgotten. There are now plans to remove it and rebuild,I have it on good authoraty that there are still thousands of ww2 aircraft unaccounted for in Europe. Theres even an unsalveged Spitfire stuck into the the north face of Pen y Fan it was there for 9 months before being found, the pilots body was removed but it was deemed to dangerous to recover the airframe as the rock face is unstable.
  3. Thanks for that PTP, fascinating stuff.
  4. Fantastic, just enjoyed the Wings Of the Luftwaffe a well prepared movie on the FW 190.
  5. When I was in NI in the 70s They dug up the BARRACUDA that is now in Yovilton, from a bog near Maydown outside Londonderry, the crew where still in it, that caused quite a problem as the familys had been given their remaines in 1943 it made front page news.
  6. Was it on display at the Museum of Flight here in Seattle? (Paul Allen's home)
  7. Paul Allen lent his yacht to Mike Rossiter to do underwater filming of the wreck of the Ark Royal a few years ago seems an interesting bloke see "Ark Royal" Corgi Books
  8. You could always ask the Booties at Condor to recover the Mossies that were buried around the airfield at the end of the war.
  9. Is this one true? I had heard it was urban myth along the lines of theres a large cavern full of panzers under the square in Bradbury Barracks in Krefeld (there isnt!).

I would have to wonder why they would bury the planes. At the end of the war Britain was hungry for raw materials of all kinds - i'd have thought they would have re-cycled the aluminium etc.
  10. Well a bootie did tell the story, in his defense he did mention metal detectors and side looking radar. Am sure some of the older members of the RAF can say yay or nay
  11. A large number of new airframes were stored on northern airfields, as the manufacturers completed them. Other Scottish airfields held large numbers of low-time Halifaxes. At the end of the war, according to numerous sources, they were bulldozed into holes in the ground, as there was neither the need nor resources to get them dismantled.

Since the Mosquito is largely timber, there'd be little point in dismantling it, and as the only large user of Merlin engines was in the process of downsizing there was little need for them.
  12. Most redundant equipment was recycled, lots of aircraft were stored at places like Silloth airfield in Cumbria at the end of the war, locals who were around at the time reckon the place was over flowing with allsorts of aircraft for quite some time.
    Eaglescliff over in Durham was a dedicated recycling plant that operated during the war to dismantle crashed and damaged aircraft and re-smelt aluminium etc. When the RN gave up the place a few years ago they had to shift container loads of contaminated topsoil to Drigg from the area used to burn off un-recyclable bits. They still dig up aircraft parts from the back part of the site and some of those parts have gone to restoration projects around the world.
    The quantity of surplus war material lying around the county in 1945 must have been vast and it is likely that some was dumped simply to save the effort of dealing with it properly.
  13. When I was a kid there were hundreds of airframes at Beggers Pound At the back of RAF ST Athen and it only ceased as a scrap yard a few years ago. at one time there were about a dozen Vulcans there. My cousen bought onr and kept it at the aircraft museum at Rhoose until he was forced to get rid of it due to the expansion of the airfield
  14. Condor near Arbroath was a Naval Airfield not RAF. Mosquitos did not operate from there, anyway the four runways were too short for a fully loaded Mossie to operate from. There was one instance of a Leuchars based BOAC Mosquito carrying ball bearings from Sweden crashlanding in fog at Condor in 1944. THe cargo, Engines and some other parts were salvaged and the wooden airframe was dragged off into a dispersal pen and burned.