WW2 Film: Flag of our Fathers

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by tebagagap, Oct 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trailer

WW2 film about the iconic image of the marines raising the US flag on Iwo Jima.

Directed by Clint 'Gunny Highway' Eastwood.
    Produced by Clint and Steven Spielberg

May be worth a look.....

2. Caught the preview when I went to see 'The Departed' (well worth going to see,by the way!)

That combined with a new film about the early days of the CIA (The Good Shepherd, another Matt Damon film) and 'Frank Millers 300' (Graphic style novel film, Greeks vs Persians) made me wonder if Hollywood was/is trying to prepare the US public for war with Iran! 8O
  3. Flags looks like it should be good. However, what I'm really excited about is that the Band of Brothers team is going to be making a Pacific War miniseries. One thing I think they need there is the Battle of Manilla, and the discoveries by allied soldiers of what the Japanese occupiers did to people. Long past time that was done. I can only hope.

The Good Sheperd looks pretty good I must say. It looks like an honest attempt to look at the CIA for a change. Not a movie about a dashing young CIA agent with an American flag on his back, not a film about CIA agents trying to kill a journalist who "has the truth". It looks to be a film about the duality and murkyness of the Agents.

300 just looks freaking awsome. "Spartans! Tonight we dine in hell!". I just finished reading Beowulf, so the trailer just gave me a sense joy at the time.
  4. Bought the book at LAX and read it over there, and a very good read too.
    I also found out that Jamie Bell who played the dance mad young Northern lad in "Billy Elliot" plays one of the US Marine Corpsmen.
  5. Looks good. Anything involving Spielberg in it's production is always a cracking film!
  6. See AI and you'll change your mind. However, I have to say that's generally true.
  7. it looks pretty good - the photos are very atmospheric and look authentic - its a shame that the story has been done before. Why can't Hollywood make films about other events that haven't been covered yet?
  8. Apparently Clint has filmed it from both sides. i.e. flag of our fathers is one film but he also made another film seeing it from the japanese side to be released afterwards.
  9. Yeah... I'm a bit on the fence about that one. A movie about Japanese soldiers would be much less flattering if it had a setting with a civilian population...
  10. Quite right. Difficult to imagine what a few hundred thousand civilian deaths will do the the film viewer. I'm thinking about Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Tokyo here.

(Yes, I am well aware of the Rape of Nanking. And RAF involvements in Dresden and Hamburg. I'm just trying to make the point that what you see one way, someone else will insist on seeing another.)

I'll wait and see how the film turns out before commenting...
  11. With the awesome memories put to type by 'Swordman' I believe we would have the material for an outstanding Movie/Visual Memorial and 'Thanks' to the British Serviceman of World War II!

12. You're talking about Letters From Iwo Jima which apparently it will be all in Japanese. There are also direct links to both films such as in Flags of Our Fathers a US Marine is seen to dragged into a Japanese tunnel network and what happens to him is seen in Letters from Iwo Jima.

Its due out in time so both qualify for the Oscars next year. So Clint could be up against himself for Best Director. 8O
  13. In the movie, they don't show the hideously tortured and mutilated body of Private Ignatowski. Perhaps in the Japanese version they'll show the heroic Japanese troops cutting off his penis and stuffing it in his mouth, as they did to him in real life--along with removing his fingernails and various other entertainments fitting of a soldier of the Emperor.
  14. I have to say I'm skeptical. What happened to Iggy is hardcore-ugly and I just can't believe that they'll show his torture and execution.

The movie was great by the way, saw it yesterday.